J2ME & System.getProperty()

Alex Buell

Hi,

Was playing with J2ME, and tried to use the System.getProperty()
methods to get values for os.name, os.version etc., this did not work.
Why?

Cheers,
Alex.

Alex Buell

Was playing with J2ME, and tried to use the System.getProperty()
methods to get values for os.name, os.version etc., this did not work.

Don't bother answering, I worked it out for myself.

Cheers,
Alex.

Darryl Pierce

Alex said:
Was playing with J2ME, and tried to use the System.getProperty()
methods to get values for os.name, os.version etc., this did not work.
Why?

Those values are *not* part of the specification, so will *not* be
present on most, if any, devices. You're getting some bleed through from
your J2SE properties...

Alex Buell

Those values are *not* part of the specification, so will *not* be
present on most, if any, devices. You're getting some bleed through from
your J2SE properties...

Yes, I'm aware now. Athough there weren't bleed through, it was
intentional to see if it could work. It didn't, and now I've got hold
of the proper J2ME system properties.

Cheers,
Alex.

Darryl Pierce

Alex said:
Yes, I'm aware now. Athough there weren't bleed through, it was
intentional to see if it could work. It didn't, and now I've got hold
of the proper J2ME system properties.

What I'm trying to get across is that (at least for MIDP 1.0) there are
*no* system properties. For MIDP 2.0 there are a few, though I can't
remember them off the top of my head), defined. The ones you
specifically mented are not a part of that list. HTH. :)