Java and Firewalls

Al B via JavaKB.com

Guys I am not a techie so forgive the question. Lately I have heard a lot
of people suggesting that one of the reasons for the move to Java is its
ability to work through firewalls, "elegantly drill through Firewalls" was
the term used. This is important of all businesses whether banking or
supply chain and would explain why so many erp vendors are making Java
statements. Can anyone explain this too me and ratify the logic

Thomas Weidenfeller

Al said:
"elegantly drill through Firewalls"

Marketing bull. Java can't do anything better or worse than what could
other programming languages do with respect to firewalls.

/Thomas

Andrea Desole

Thomas said:
Marketing bull. Java can't do anything better or worse than what could
other programming languages do with respect to firewalls.

absolutely. I would like to know who said this thing, and why.
Maybe the reason is the classes that come with the SDKs that work with
http and web services? C# is not much different anyway

GaryM

"elegantly drill through Firewalls" was
the term used.

This could really only be applied to the applet framework because that
can adopt the browser's settings with respect to proxy config thus
allowing the programmer to work at a higher level.

Kenneth P. Turvey

This could really only be applied to the applet framework because that
can adopt the browser's settings with respect to proxy config thus
allowing the programmer to work at a higher level.

Don't web start apps also?