Java and Multiport Serial Port

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sumit, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Sumit

    Sumit Guest

    Hi
    I am trying to establish serial communication via
    one of the port of RocketPort multiport serial Port
    using Java 1.4 on RH 9.0. I had installed rxtx as a
    comm
    package(http://wass.homelinux.net/howtos/Comm_How-To.shtml)

    For the code
    String commPort ="/dev/ttyR6";
    CommPortIdentifier portId =
    CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifier ( commPort );
    Things work fine if I use commPort ="/dev/ttyS0" but
    with "/dev/ttyR6"(which is one of the rocketport port)
    it causes exception.

    The card is properly configured and I had tested
    /dev/ttyR6 is working using od -tx1 /dev/ttyR6. I am
    executing all this as root.

    Moreover using
    Enumeration ports =
    CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifiers();

    and listing the ports list only /dev/ttyS0 and
    /dev/lp0 as the available ports.

    I am quite new to Java, so I am not sure, but do I
    need to use CommPortIdentifier.addPortName to add the
    /dev/ttyR0-6 port.

    Thanks,
    Sumit

    Sumit, Jul 26, 2003