Java Applet Phone Dialer

joshfeingold

I have created contact management software that runs via a web browser.

What I am looking to do is add a button in the web page next to each
contact. When pressed, the button will call a Java Applet which will
take the phone number as an input variable and then dial that number
via the computers modem.

As a web programmer, this is beyond anything I have done so far in my
web programming, but I would imagine someone here could help me. If
there is some sample code or a complete code that does just this, I
would be grateful.

Thanks,
Josh

Tim

Have to get the applet signed to be able to get to full OS resources.
Can sign it manually for prototyping.

Modems appear as COM ports so you can open the appropriate COM port and
issue an "ATDT 5551212" to dial. Or some other OS API. Once upon a time
IE had HTML markup for NetMeeting and maybe such a thing for dialing
out?

Also maybe you can issue a command to some other OS service rather than
having to guess (test) what COM port to use. The test is simple
though... open port, ATI --> see if you get some modem info. or
something like that.

The easiest way maybe to use Windows Scripting Host and script it in
VBS or JS but, of course, that's Windows-only and proprietary. The most
flexible and robust is probably to hack out an applet and use the Java
serial port stuff.

Best luck,
TimJowers