Java cousins

bob smith

I was just wondering what other technologies besides Java are affected by the Oracle/Sun issue. I think JavaScript is somewhat affected, but I don't fully understand that.

Arne Vajhøj

I was just wondering what other technologies besides Java are affected by the Oracle/Sun issue. I think JavaScript is somewhat affected, but I don't fully understand that.

What issue?

The security problem impacted Java 7 u 0-10. It is fixed in u 11. And it
did not impact Java 6.

I believe it was all platforms.

It has absolutely nothing to do with JavaScript.

Whether Java implementations from other vendors (OpenJDK, IBM, HP etc.)
has the problem would need to be checked with them.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

What issue?

The security problem impacted Java 7 u 0-10. It is fixed in u 11. And it
did not impact Java 6.

I believe it was all platforms.

It has absolutely nothing to do with JavaScript.

Whether Java implementations from other vendors (OpenJDK, IBM, HP etc.)
has the problem would need to be checked with them.

And in some ways I think there has been an overreaction on that
security issue.

Security issues are bad. And they should not be there.

But they are. I can practical guarantee that there
will be found several more security issues for the rest
of 2013.

There has for all previous years.

Java, Flash, Acrobat Reader, SilverLight, JavaScript etc.
has all been hit at various times.

But everybody switching to Lynx is not really a viable option.

Arne

Joerg Meier

I was just wondering what other technologies besides Java are affected by the Oracle/Sun issue. I think JavaScript is somewhat affected, but I don't fully understand that.

Java and JavaScript are really in no way related. The confusingly similar
naming is the only thing they have in common, other than that, they are
about as related as Java is to the similarly named coffee.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

BGB

Java and JavaScript are really in no way related. The confusingly similar
naming is the only thing they have in common, other than that, they are
about as related as Java is to the similarly named coffee.

naming is fun isn't it...

but, oddly, no one seems to really be rapidly jumping over to the
ECMAScript name...

but, not many people are comfortable with the Java trademark either.

so, we end up with a lot of <InsertNameHere>Script (or "WhateverScript")
languages...
admittedly, my language is included in this category as well.

it sort of works partly as ECMAScript sort of has fuzzy borders, so more
or less anything with a similar syntax and similar features will fit.

can you type: "var obj={x: 3, y: 4};" and "function foo(x) { ... }" and
similar? good enough...

unlike many other languages, there is no limit on how many syntax
features or keywords can be added, and a person can also usually get by
leaving things out as well, so the borders between ECMAScript and
WhateverScript are much less clearly defined than, say, between C and
Java, ...

(and, one can tempt the waters, by say, using less absurd semantics for
'==', ...).

but, ironically, JavaScript remains more distinctive at least as far as
it is "the language that runs in web-browsers and is directly embedded
into HTML documents", and generally bounded by "you can't vary things
too much, or people wont use a browser where most websites don't work,
or a site where most browsers don't work", which is a property generally
absent from many other WhateverScript variants (since there may be
little or no direct need to share code with other implementations).

but, with the drawback that many people are so often prone to confuse
JavaScript and Java.

or such...

Roedy Green

but, oddly, no one seems to really be rapidly jumping over to the
ECMAScript name...
it sounds too much like enemascript.
time.
~ Tom Cargill Ninety-ninety Law