Java Deployment Windown / Linux

Delali Dzirasa

I am a newbie to Java. I have just finished creating my first java
application and I would like to test it on a Linux and windows box. I
haven't the slightest idea of where to begin, can someone send some samples,
or point me to a very basic step by step tutorial for both of these
platforms?

I currently just have my .java files and my .class files.....what do I need
to do next?

Regards,

Delali

Anand Gopinath

+I am a newbie to Java. I have just finished creating my first java
+application and I would like to test it on a Linux and windows box. I
+haven't the slightest idea of where to begin, can someone send some
samples,+or point me to a very basic step by step tutorial for both of
these+platforms?

I am not sure what you mean by test it out, but you could run the code
on either a Windows box or a Linux box and hopefully, things will work.

+I currently just have my .java files and my .class files.....what do I
need+to do next?

use java classname and see if the code runs.

Anand

Thomas Weidenfeller

Delali Dzirasa said:
I am a newbie to Java. I have just finished creating my first java
application and I would like to test it on a Linux and windows box. I
haven't the slightest idea of where to begin, can someone send some samples,
or point me to a very basic step by step tutorial for both of these
platforms?

I currently just have my .java files and my .class files.....what do I need
to do next?

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html

contains a step-by step instruction.

You might want to bookmark http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ and
have a look at the various tutorials at some point in time, too.

/Thomas

Delali Dzirasa

Thanks for the reply, I am looking to try to deploy the application on
windows and Linux systems. I am unsure on how to do this, and it doesn't
seem to be clear from the tutorials. Do I need to copy all of the .class
files onto each system I want to deploy on? Can I package them in such a way
that the user only needs to double click on some icon of some sort to run
it?

Any tutorials specifically on deploying would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Delali

Andrew Thompson

Please do not top-post Delali.
Thanks for the reply, I am looking to try to deploy the application on
windows and Linux systems. I am unsure on how to do this, and it doesn't
seem to be clear from the tutorials. Do I need to copy all of the .class
files onto each system I want to deploy on? Can I package them in such a way
that the user only needs to double click on some icon of some sort to run
it? .....

Deploying this application can be done easily for the
user by installing it using Java Web Start. A JWS
install would mean your user could click a link in a
web page and install your software, easy.

It is not so easy for the developer (you).
To use JWS, your class files need to be
both jar'd and signed.

This is an herculean task for a newbie,
you have a steep learning curve ahead.
Starting with..

Thomas Weidenfeller

Delali Dzirasa said:
Thanks for the reply, I am looking to try to deploy the application on
windows and Linux systems. I am unsure on how to do this, and it doesn't
seem to be clear from the tutorials. Do I need to copy all of the .class
files onto each system I want to deploy on? Can I package them in such a way
that the user only needs to double click on some icon of some sort to run
it?

Any tutorials specifically on deploying would be greatly appreciated.

For a simple start, you might want to use an "executable" JAR file:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jar/basics/index.html
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jar/basics/run.html
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/extensions/spec.html#executable

/Thomas