java error in apache tomcat

Discussion in 'Java' started by bhamoo@gmail.com, Jun 23, 2007.

  1. Guest

    guys,

    I am getting an java error when i run a java app in tomcat. here it is
    what I get in the browser

    -----------------------
    type Exception report
    message
    it from fulfilling this request.

    exception
    com.unanet.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:39)
    com.unanet.servlet.AccessLogFilter.doFilter(AccessLogFilter.java:43)

    root cause
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:833)
    com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:777)
    com.unanet.servlet.ActionServlet.doService(ActionServlet.java:64)
    com.unanet.servlet.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:31)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)
    com.unanet.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:39)
    com.unanet.servlet.AccessLogFilter.doFilter(AccessLogFilter.java:43)
    -------------------------------

    can some one please help.

    RTR

    , Jun 23, 2007

  2. Chris Smith Guest

    <> wrote:
    > I am getting an java error when i run a java app in tomcat. here it is
    > what I get in the browser

    The complaint is that you're missing some library or class that's needed
    for the application to work. It looks like the missing class might be
    the database drivers. Does that help?

    --
    Chris Smith

    Chris Smith, Jun 23, 2007

    On Jun 23, 1:06 am, Chris Smith <> wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    > > I am getting an java error when i run a java app in tomcat. here it is
    > > what I get in the browser

    > The complaint is that you're missing some library or class that's needed
    > for the application to work. It looks like the missing class might be
    > the database drivers. Does that help?
    >
    > --
    > Chris Smith

    -------------------------------

    Chris,

    Thanks for the reply, it does help but how do I know what is missing
    if it's drivers where can I get and where do I need to place it so
    tomcat or java see it.
    I am new top tomcat and Java.
    IS there a way you can give some information in detail.

    thanks for your help
    RTR

    , Jun 23, 2007

    On Jun 23, 1:47 am, wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 1:06 am, Chris Smith <> wrote:
    >
    > > <> wrote:
    > > > I am getting an java error when i run a java app in tomcat. here it is
    > > > what I get in the browser

    > > The complaint is that you're missing some library or class that's needed
    > > for the application to work. It looks like the missing class might be
    > > the database drivers. Does that help?

    > > --
    > > Chris Smith

    > -------------------------------
    >
    > Chris,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply, it does help but how do I know what is missing
    > if it's drivers where can I get and where do I need to place it so
    > tomcat or java see it.
    > I am new top tomcat and Java.
    > IS there a way you can give some information in detail.
    >
    > thanks for your help
    > RTR

    To hunt down what you're missing just read the error message
    closely...

    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:
    833)
    com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:
    777)
    com.unanet.servlet.ActionServlet.doService(ActionServlet.java:
    64)
    com.unanet.servlet.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:31)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)
    com.unanet.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:39)

    com.unanet.servlet.AccessLogFilter.doFilter(AccessLogFilter.java:43)

    This suggests to me that you are probably misisng a class called
    Unanet.class... which seems to be packaged in com.unanet.servlet...
    You'll need to find a jar file that holds this mysterious library. If
    you're completely lost, start un-jaring some files and investigating:

    jar -xvf something.jar

    Ben.

    , Jun 23, 2007
  5. Chris Smith Guest

    <> wrote:
    > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    > com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:833)
    > com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:777)
    > com.unanet.servlet.ActionServlet.doService(ActionServlet.java:64)

    > This suggests to me that you are probably misisng a class called
    > Unanet.class...

    Nah, Unanet itself is there. Actually the missing class is the one that
    is used by Unanet on line 833 of its source code. From the names of the
    methods, I'm guess that's database drivers.

    For RTR: Do you know what database this application uses? That may be a
    hint as to what you need. Or, if you have the source code, look at line
    833 of com/unanet/servlet/Unanet.java and tell us what's there.

    --
    Chris Smith

    Chris Smith, Jun 23, 2007

    On Jun 23, 11:51 am, Chris Smith <> wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    > > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    > > com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:833)
    > > com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:777)
    > > com.unanet.servlet.ActionServlet.doService(ActionServlet.java:64)
    > > This suggests to me that you are probably misisng a class called
    > > Unanet.class...

    > Nah, Unanet itself is there. Actually the missing class is the one that
    > is used by Unanet on line 833 of its source code. From the names of the
    > methods, I'm guess that's database drivers.
    >
    > For RTR: Do you know what database this application uses? That may be a
    > hint as to what you need. Or, if you have the source code, look at line
    > 833 of com/unanet/servlet/Unanet.java and tell us what's there.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Smith

    The database this application uses is MSsql2000. So from what you are
    saying is that this is a database driver issue.

    I have the insatlled files but cannot find "unanet.java", i dont have
    the source code for this app.

    thanks again.

    rtr

    , Jun 23, 2007

    On Jun 23, 1:08 pm, wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 11:51 am, Chris Smith <> wrote:
    >

    > > <> wrote:
    > > > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    > > > com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:833)
    > > > com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:777)
    > > > com.unanet.servlet.ActionServlet.doService(ActionServlet.java:64)
    > > > This suggests to me that you are probably misisng a class called
    > > > Unanet.class...

    > > Nah, Unanet itself is there. Actually the missing class is the one that
    > > is used by Unanet on line 833 of its source code. From the names of the
    > > methods, I'm guess that's database drivers.

    > > For RTR: Do you know what database this application uses? That may be a
    > > hint as to what you need. Or, if you have the source code, look at line
    > > 833 of com/unanet/servlet/Unanet.java and tell us what's there.

    > > --
    > > Chris Smith

    > The database this application uses is MSsql2000. So from what you are
    > saying is that this is a database driver issue.
    >
    > I have the insatlled files but cannot find "unanet.java", i dont have
    > the source code for this app.
    >
    > thanks again.
    >
    > rtr

    -------------

    Also wanted to add this appilcation uses this driver for database.

    unatime.database.driver=net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver

    if this helps you.

    , Jun 23, 2007

    On Jun 23, 1:40 pm, wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 1:08 pm, wrote:

    > > > Nah, Unanet itself is there. Actually the missing class is the one that
    > > > is used by Unanet on line 833 of its source code. From the names of the
    > > > methods, I'm guess that's database drivers.

    > > > For RTR: Do you know what database this application uses? That may be a
    > > > hint as to what you need. Or, if you have the source code, look at line
    > > > 833 of com/unanet/servlet/Unanet.java and tell us what's there.

    > > > --
    > > > Chris Smith

    > > The database this application uses is MSsql2000. So from what you are
    > > saying is that this is a database driver issue.

    > > I have the insatlled files but cannot find "unanet.java", i dont have
    > > the source code for this app.

    > > thanks again.

    > > rtr

    > -------------
    >
    > Also wanted to add this appilcation uses this driver for database.
    >
    > unatime.database.driver=net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
    >
    > if this helps you.

    This JDBC library works great, is trying another connector out an
    option?

    com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlDataSource;

    , Jun 23, 2007

    ..

    > This JDBC library works great, is trying another connector out an
    > option?
    >
    > com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlDataSource;

    This is an actual link to the JDBC library I'm currently using with
    servlets:

    http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/3.1.html

    , Jun 23, 2007

    On Jun 23, 1:08 pm, wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 11:51 am, Chris Smith <> wrote:
    >

    > > <> wrote:
    > > > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    > > > com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:833)
    > > > com.unanet.servlet.Unanet.validateDatabaseVersion(Unanet.java:777)
    > > > com.unanet.servlet.ActionServlet.doService(ActionServlet.java:64)
    > > > This suggests to me that you are probably misisng a class called
    > > > Unanet.class...

    > > Nah, Unanet itself is there. Actually the missing class is the one that
    > > is used by Unanet on line 833 of its source code. From the names of the
    > > methods, I'm guess that's database drivers.

    > > For RTR: Do you know what database this application uses? That may be a
    > > hint as to what you need. Or, if you have the source code, look at line
    > > 833 of com/unanet/servlet/Unanet.java and tell us what's there.

    > > --
    > > Chris Smith

    > The database this application uses is MSsql2000. So from what you are
    > saying is that this is a database driver issue.
    >
    > I have the insatlled files but cannot find "unanet.java", i dont have
    > the source code for this app.
    >
    > thanks again.
    >
    > rtr

    I just noticed you're using MSSql2000, I don't think my suggestion
    about using another connector is viable, I use MySQL. Sorry about the
    confusion,

    and good luck,

    Ben.

    , Jun 23, 2007
  11. Chris Smith Guest

    <> wrote:
    > The database this application uses is MSsql2000. So from what you are
    > saying is that this is a database driver issue.
    >
    > I have the insatlled files but cannot find "unanet.java", i dont have
    > the source code for this app.

    Okay. Since we're not even 100% sure what's going on and you don't have
    the source code that would tell us, now would be a good time for you to
    contact Unanet's support and ask them for help.

    --
    Chris Smith

    Chris Smith, Jun 24, 2007