Java framework/portal

Bj

Hello,

For an intranet, I want to put some Java/Struts web applications, Xsql
pages, simple jsp pages and some perl and php pages.

I need to have a single entry point where the user can log on for the
whole intranet. And according to his profil, let him access only to
authorized applications.

I've the feeling that portal engines do not offer to integrate complex
web applications but only less or more dynamic portlets.
Am i wrong ? Or maybe it's possible to encapsulate any web application
in a portlet ?

Is there a product having these features ? Or a framework with this kind
of API (user/group management and maybe underlaying on ldap, session
access,...)

Best regards,

Bj

Byron Miller

Is there a product having these features ? Or a framework with this kind
of API (user/group management and maybe underlaying on ldap, session
access,...)

You can try the Apache JetSpeed 2 or Pluto portal frameworks or have a look
at one of my favorite projects: http://exo.sourceforge.net/ - Sounds like
eXo may do what you need and then some :)

-byron

Christoph Rabel

Bj said:
For an intranet, I want to put some Java/Struts web applications, Xsql
pages, simple jsp pages and some perl and php pages.

I need to have a single entry point where the user can log on for the
whole intranet. And according to his profil, let him access only to
authorized applications.

I've the feeling that portal engines do not offer to integrate complex
web applications but only less or more dynamic portlets.
Am i wrong ? Or maybe it's possible to encapsulate any web application
in a portlet ?

You could try the Sun Portal.

It has a feature called Agents that allows to protect pages on other
servers(e.g. Apache, IIS). The agents is installed ion these servers and
access to protected pages is only granted if you are logged in and
access to the application was granted to you.

I, personally, use often an IFrameProvider to "integrate" applications
on other servers in the portal.
Is there a product having these features ? Or a framework with this kind
of API (user/group management and maybe underlaying on ldap, session
access,...)

Sun Portal has most of these features.

hth

Christoph

HalfPastDev

Bj said:
Hello,

For an intranet, I want to put some Java/Struts web applications, Xsql
pages, simple jsp pages and some perl and php pages.

I need to have a single entry point where the user can log on for the
whole intranet. And according to his profil, let him access only to
authorized applications.

I've the feeling that portal engines do not offer to integrate complex
web applications but only less or more dynamic portlets.
Am i wrong ? Or maybe it's possible to encapsulate any web application
in a portlet ?

Is there a product having these features ? Or a framework with this kind
of API (user/group management and maybe underlaying on ldap, session
access,...)

Best regards,

Bj

Well Bj, which kind of web applications do you want to put in the
portal, and to which extent you want it integrated. I've heard there
are some third party softwares that do that for you, capture the
entire working of a web application and create a portlet out of them.
Something called Portlet Factory, from clickmarks, i dont remember it
completely.
I'll take a look and let you know.

hope it helps,
1/2pastDev.