Java Hashtable performance for contains() method.

zer0frequency

Hi all,

I am working on a conversion code (from C++ to JAVA) - now in C++
there is a Rougwave Hashtable that can create hashtables with the
contains() or equals() method which does lookups based on values....

However in JAVA the hashtable looksup objects based on
Object-Reference, so the following lookup fails in java and works in
C,

(Hashtable containing an Object called MyObject with Key as a simple
object as Integer)

Java version:

Hashtable myHash = new Hashtable();

Integer i = new Integer(1);
Integer j = new Integer(1);
// i & j are same values but different objects in
memory

MyObject myObj = new MyObject();

MyObject tmpObj = null;

// Adding myObj into myHash
myHash.put(i, myObj);

// Now logically tmpObj should get the myObj ref.
tmpObj = myHash.get(j);

// But tmpObj will be null cuz i & j are different
objects...

Now to overcome this problem, I wrote my own methods, which get
Objects from hashtable based on the keyType - i.e. for the key as
Integer, I wrote hash.getUsingInt() - which extracts Enumeration from
the hash, and then compares the keys (Integer's values) to find the
match...

This works, but I am sure it makes the processing slow... (I think?)

Please help if you got any ideas to improve performance !!!!

Mark Thornton

zer0frequency said:
Hi all,

I am working on a conversion code (from C++ to JAVA) - now in C++
there is a Rougwave Hashtable that can create hashtables with the
contains() or equals() method which does lookups based on values....

However in JAVA the hashtable looksup objects based on
Object-Reference, so the following lookup fails in java and works in
C,

java.util.HashMap and java.util.Hashtable both use Object.equals to test
for equality. The class java.util.IdentityHashMap uses == (i.e.
reference equality).
(Hashtable containing an Object called MyObject with Key as a simple
object as Integer)

Java version:

Hashtable myHash = new Hashtable();

Integer i = new Integer(1);
Integer j = new Integer(1);
// i & j are same values but different objects in
memory

MyObject myObj = new MyObject();

MyObject tmpObj = null;

// Adding myObj into myHash
myHash.put(i, myObj);

// Now logically tmpObj should get the myObj ref.
tmpObj = myHash.get(j);

// But tmpObj will be null cuz i & j are different
objects...

Wrong. This code should retrieve the myObj value.

Mark Thornton

andrewh1

First off there is no need to post to different groups. You will
antagonize many who otherwise might help you.
[...]

This code works for me with one exception. You need to case the object
you get back as a MyObject.

As Mark pointed out, hashtable checks for equality using equals() and
i.equals(j) is true in this case.