java IDE

PaowZ

Hello there!

I don't know whether it's the right topic, sorry about that :)
I'm stuck with the choice to make for an IDE to dev in java..I used to
program using Gel Editor (GExperts) which was an awesome IDE, imho.
Unhappily, this project is not longer maintained.. :(

I wonder which IDE, would you advise (except Eclipse) ?

Thanks a lot :)

Chris Dollin

PaowZ said:
Hello there!

I don't know whether it's the right topic, sorry about that :)
I'm stuck with the choice to make for an IDE to dev in java..I used to
program using Gel Editor (GExperts) which was an awesome IDE, imho.
Unhappily, this project is not longer maintained.. :(

I wonder which IDE, would you advise (except Eclipse) ?

Why not Eclipse?

David Segall

PaowZ said:
Hello there!

I don't know whether it's the right topic, sorry about that :)
I'm stuck with the choice to make for an IDE to dev in java..I used to
program using Gel Editor (GExperts) which was an awesome IDE, imho.
Unhappily, this project is not longer maintained.. :(

I wonder which IDE, would you advise (except Eclipse) ?
I have a list of what I describe as "full-featured Java IDEs" at
<http://ide.profectus.com.au>. You did not define what you expect from
an "awesome IDE" but the page also contains links to more
comprehensive lists of Java development tools.

TechBookReport

PaowZ said:
Hello there!

I don't know whether it's the right topic, sorry about that :)
I'm stuck with the choice to make for an IDE to dev in java..I used to
program using Gel Editor (GExperts) which was an awesome IDE, imho.
Unhappily, this project is not longer maintained.. :(

I wonder which IDE, would you advise (except Eclipse) ?

Thanks a lot :)
If you're not interested in the 'big' Java IDEs such as Eclipse or
NetBeans, then have you considered jCreator? It's much closer in scale
and functionality to Gel than Eclipse or NetBeans. There's a review of
it here: http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0173.html

For a light-weight Java solution there's jEdit (reviewed here:
http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0135.html), which comes with a rich set
of plug-ins. It's also open source.

HTH

Andy Dingley

That would depend entirely on your requirements,
and experience, neither of which you mentioned.

Would it?

"Which IDE?" is a pretty boring question (Eclipse, the memory
vendors need the business)
"Which IDE is better in particular aspects" is much more interesting.

Tomek

"Which IDE?" is a pretty boring question (Eclipse, the memory
vendors need the business)

Not sure if Eclipse is right choice right now. Every new version is
slower and has more bugs :/

Maybe try NetBeans or Idea.