Suggestion for the choice of IDE

AnetaKvel

Hi,
I'm a final year information technology student and i am currently
developing a project in java (as part of my curriculum). I'm using
the open editor notepad to code my project . I would like to know what
IDE will suit the development. One among my classmates suggested about
the Eclipse IDE, but I would like to have a suggestion about the choice
of IDE.
Thank you in advance

Proton Projects - Moin

Being a student, U can go for the free IDEs available in the net..
Generally it hardly 5-10% difference from one IDE to another IDE..I
suggest u to use the free ware IDE that available in the net...As far
as i know...NetBeans IDE and Eclipse IDE are available in the
net....both are similar in the functionality and features....with
tolerance of 1-2%.....

IMporting thing to remember of using the IDE is that u can develop ur
application fastly...

Regards
Moin

Chris Smith

AnetaKvel said:
I'm a final year information technology student and i am currently
developing a project in java (as part of my curriculum). I'm using
the open editor notepad to code my project . I would like to know what
IDE will suit the development. One among my classmates suggested about
the Eclipse IDE, but I would like to have a suggestion about the choice
of IDE.

Eclipse is good. If you have money, use IDEA. If you just don't turn
out to like Eclipse, try NetBeans. JCreator works okay if you want
something minimal. If you're looking for something that supports a good
learning paradigm, then look at BlueJ (though I haven't looked at it for
several years). If that answer doesn't meet your needs, please be more
specific about what you're looking for.

Andrew Thompson

AnetaKvel wrote:
I'm a final year information technology student and i am currently
developing a project in java (as part of my curriculum). I'm using
the open editor notepad to code my project .

Huh? Do you mean the Windows 'Notepad'?
Does your editor have syntax highlighting for
keywords?

TextPad (for Windows) will add keyword highlighting,
and allow you to compile and launch from within
TextPad.
...I would like to know what
IDE will suit the development.

That depends a great deal on what the project entails,
as well as you personally - your likes and dislikes, your
coding habits.
...One among my classmates suggested about
the Eclipse IDE, but I would like to have a suggestion about the choice
of IDE.

Eclipse is great, if you need JDPA debugging support
and 'auto-complete' for code (+ a slew of other more
advanced things).

OTOH - I would recommend you avoid really powerful
and advanced IDE's in the early stages, and use TextPad
for your most basic needs, and *Ant* for building and
launching more complicated code (TextPad for editing).

The beauty of Ant scripts is that they can be 'imported'
into most modern IDE's later, once you migrate to them
(whether it is Eclipse, NetBeans, whatever..).

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote:
TextPad (for Windows) will add keyword highlighting,
and allow you to compile and launch from within
TextPad.

What I forgot to add is "but it sure is *not* an IDE".

Andrew T.

AnetaKvel

I want an IDE environment to organize my codes so that the integration
of the modules that is developed individually at the final stage would
be easier. So it does not bother whether the IDE would have auto
complete and debugging facility. The project is fairly large as my
teammate and I are trying to produce the project outputs similar as an
Application.
*Textpad* I'm ignorant about this editor .it is a freeware or
shareware?(got my keyboard fixed)
I would like to know where to download it.

ali

AnetaKvel said:
Hi,
I'm a final year information technology student and i am currently
developing a project in java (as part of my curriculum). I'm using
the open editor notepad to code my project . I would like to know what
IDE will suit the development. One among my classmates suggested about
the Eclipse IDE, but I would like to have a suggestion about the choice
of IDE.
Thank you in advance

of my personal experiance Eclipse is really , really really great

but actually it depends on you what IDE work best for you

you should try number of them for yourself to know which one suits you
the best

may be eclipse will be a good start but try someothers too

Andrew Thompson

AnetaKvel said:
I want an IDE environment to organize my codes so that the integration
of the modules that is developed individually at the final stage would
be easier.

I feel 'ant' is the best tool for that immediate job.
It can be run from the command line, and anyone
who is using Eclipse, NetBeans etc., should also
be able to get a project up and running from an
ant build script, in a matter of 'moments'.
...So it does not bother whether the IDE would have auto
complete and debugging facility. The project is fairly large as my
teammate and I are ...

I understand the sentence up to that point..
...trying to produce the project outputs similar as an
Application.

...but I do not understand this last part.
First, I am not entirely clear what you mean by
'Application', what is it that you and your teammate
are programming? (e.g. A desktop based banking
application?, a web-based travel bookings application?)

Then, I am not sure what 'project outputs similar'
means. Do you mean you need to see the same results
as each other on remote PC's? Same results to
an actual web-server as it might be deployed?
*Textpad*

Note also, that you can add commands to the
TextPad 'Tools' menu, so you could probably
configure it to invoke targets within *ant* scripts,
with a keyboard shortcut..
..I'm ignorant about this editor .it is a freeware or
shareware?

It *was* unlimited time shareware. I have an ..old
version that is fine for my needs.
I would like to know where to download it.

Well, I could give you the fish, but instead I
will offer the fishing line..
<http://www.google.com/search?q=textpad+download>
;-)

HTH

Andrew T.

David Segall

AnetaKvel said:
Hi,
I'm a final year information technology student and i am currently
developing a project in java (as part of my curriculum). I'm using
the open editor notepad to code my project . I would like to know what
IDE will suit the development. One among my classmates suggested about
the Eclipse IDE, but I would like to have a suggestion about the choice
of IDE.
Thank you in advance
I have what I believe to be a complete list of comprehensive Java IDEs
here <http://ide.profectus.com.au>. I would suggest NetBeans or
JDeveloper if you wish to minimise the time you spend assembling and
learning the IDE. Eclipse is by far the most popular and is the basis
for both the IBM and Borland commercial products so it may be more
useful if you intend to get a job as a Java programmer.

AnetaKvel

Application in the sense we are trying to develop a model in which the
web clients Access the contents of the remote Database using an
interactive GUI.We are aiming in creating a wizard like application for
the developers, which extracts the database details and creates a XML
file. Again from the Xml file the GUI for the user is created
(automatically like when running a wizard).that is why in my last post
called *doubt* I raised the question for compiling and creation of the
auto-generated GUI.
This is the overview of what we are trying to implement.

Andrew Thompson

AnetaKvel wrote:

This is the more complete desciption I was after, but
one thing caught my eye..
Application in the sense we are trying to develop a model in which the
web clients Access the contents of the remote Database using an
interactive GUI.We are aiming in creating a wizard like application for
the developers, which extracts the database details and creates a XML
file. Again from the Xml file the GUI for the user is created
(automatically like when running a wizard).

If 'creating a GUI described in XML' plays any part
in that, I recommend you have a look over a thread
that discusses just that.
..that is why in my last post called *doubt* ...

Yes.. I still have the same opinion of that title as
what I first expressed. But then, since I suspect
you got my point (the title on this thread was good
and descriptive), I will (try to) make no further
comment about it. ;-)

Andrew T.

Laurent D.A.M. MENTEN

AnetaKvel said:
Hi,
I'm a final year information technology student and i am currently
developing a project in java (as part of my curriculum). I'm using
the open editor notepad to code my project . I would like to know what
IDE will suit the development. One among my classmates suggested about
the Eclipse IDE, but I would like to have a suggestion about the choice
of IDE.
Thank you in advance

IMHO the most powerful programmer's IDE is called "bash" its
high-performance editor (named VI) support virtualy any language, has
syntax highliting capabilities and use a very complete search/replace
engine. Bash also has a multipurpose embedded scripting language known
as "shell script", comes with an incredibly large amount of utilities,
and is very easy to extends by simply installing software right where
they have to. It supports any compiler you mau dream of, you can even
use it in daily tasks. In addition is is very light and requires minimal
resources.

This me not be everyone's IDE of choice but it is mine!!!
Have fun!!!

Andrew Thompson

Laurent D.A.M. MENTEN wrote:
IMHO the most powerful programmer's IDE is called "bash" its
high-performance editor (named VI) support ... ....
This me not be everyone's IDE of choice but it is mine!!!

I was almost about to mention bash/VI in case the OP
wanted something beyond what TextPad could offer,
but still not quite the 'full blown' Java specific* IDE.
I am not as familiar with that path though, so thought
it better to stick with what I know.

bash can be configured to attach commands (e.g to
fire off Ant targets) to keyboard shortcuts as well, right?

* Not that Java/JSP/servlets are all you can edit in
Eclipse of NetBeans, but they are heavily geared to
those areas (perhaps moreso Netbeans, than Eclipse).

Andrew T.

KiLVaiDeN

AnetaKvel a écrit :
Hi,
I'm a final year information technology student and i am currently
developing a project in java (as part of my curriculum). I'm using
the open editor notepad to code my project . I would like to know what
IDE will suit the development. One among my classmates suggested about
the Eclipse IDE, but I would like to have a suggestion about the choice
of IDE.
Thank you in advance

Hi,

I'd advice you to use Eclipse right away. It's a great tool, specially
with the refactoring options that let you move classes, rename members
etc.. It's very helpful when you need to reorganize your code, what you
will probably do if you are unsure about your package structure.

Besides, it has a very good way of handling projects, it's clear and
simple. You can view your packages in both flat and hierarchical view,
and the debug option is pretty handful when you need to see what really
happening under the hood.

Netbeans IDE is another great tool, but I find it a little bit slower
than Eclipse; specially due to the fact that Netbeans is a pure SWING
app, while Eclipse uses the SWT library, which is natively mapped to
the OS for windows rendering.

Just install eclipse, create a new Java project, and start working on
your project, I guess you need something more useful and usable than
something to learn Java; It's true that if you'd use something like
Textpad as suggested you'd learn eventually more about the way Java
works, but it'd slow you down for productivity, and you'll reach a
point where you'll be a little bit stuck with the refactoring options.

Cheers

Lew

Andrew said:
I was almost about to mention bash/VI in case the OP
wanted something beyond what TextPad could offer,
but still not quite the 'full blown' Java specific* IDE.

I prefer emacs to vi, not to bash vi.

- Lew

Andrew Thompson

Lew said:
I prefer emacs to vi, not to bash vi.

Aah yes. There's the other major-domo of
'lightweight' source editors with built in power.*

It was on the tip of my tongue, honestly, but
I invoke the same 'not my specialty' clause
used earlier.

* And the supporters of either, please feel free to
point out how wrong I got that description, I am
a little vague on the details of either application.

Andrew T.

David Segall

Laurent D.A.M. MENTEN said:
IMHO the most powerful programmer's IDE is called "bash" its
high-performance editor (named VI) support virtualy any language, has
syntax highliting capabilities and use a very complete search/replace
engine. Bash also has a multipurpose embedded scripting language known
as "shell script", comes with an incredibly large amount of utilities,
and is very easy to extends by simply installing software right where
they have to. It supports any compiler you mau dream of, you can even
use it in daily tasks. In addition is is very light and requires minimal
resources.

This me not be everyone's IDE of choice but it is mine!!!
That is only because you already know them and many of the utilities.
The OP could probably write his entire application using bash _or_ vi
as the scripting language but he is supposed to be learning Java.

In any case, he would probably better off with ksh or [t]csh because
they can be considered as "cross platform" and are supplied with
Windows XP, Mac OS and all flavours of Unix.

KiLVaiDeN

Andrew Thompson a écrit :
Aah yes. There's the other major-domo of
'lightweight' source editors with built in power.*

It was on the tip of my tongue, honestly, but
I invoke the same 'not my specialty' clause
used earlier.

* And the supporters of either, please feel free to
point out how wrong I got that description, I am
a little vague on the details of either application.

Andrew T.

Hey,

I suggest you read the Humor part of this page :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war

I'm sure you'll smile :)

Cheers

David Segall

AnetaKvel said:
Application in the sense we are trying to develop a model in which the
web clients Access the contents of the remote Database using an
interactive GUI.We are aiming in creating a wizard like application for
the developers, which extracts the database details and creates a XML
file. Again from the Xml file the GUI for the user is created
(automatically like when running a wizard).that is why in my last post
called *doubt* I raised the question for compiling and creation of the
auto-generated GUI.
This is the overview of what we are trying to implement.
In that case I would definitely choose Eclipse or NetBeans. They are
not only IDEs. The code is intentionally supplied as modules that you
can use to build your own application. You can use substantial
portions of what was originally intended as a Java IDE to build an IDE
for your application developers.

In addition, both IDEs provide support for a source code repository so
that you and your team mate can share code safely.