    Basically the Web site does a lot to read/write to mysql and JSP
    renders the pages.

    Thanks

    Mike, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Mike

    Sergio Juan Guest

    IMHO

    Each request to the server is a separate thread, so you don't need to change
    anything.

    Analize your system performance. If you are mainly using sql, maybe it would
    be better to install mysql in a machine and leave the web server in another
    less potent.

    Regards.

    Sergio Juan, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Mike

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:38:27 GMT, (Mike) wrote or
    quoted :

    >I want to upgrade to something more robust like a server with one or
    >two Xeon processors. If I did, would I have to re-write all my code to
    >take advantage of the multi-threading processor capability?

    have a look at the task manager display. In w2k you can get at it by
    hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete. look at all those processes running. Any
    time you see more than one of them chewing up a significant proportion
    of the time, then 2 cpus could do that work simultaneously.

    Adding even one thread to a Swing app means the screen painting and
    everything else can proceed simultaneously on separate cpus.

    I looked into dual cpus for my own machine and discovered adding a
    second CPU was over quadruple the cost. Dual processors are still
    considered somewhat exotic, so you pay a premium for the processor and
    the motherboard. You are probably better off spending the money on a
    faster cpu, perhaps one with hyperthreading which simulates two
    hardware cpus.
    see http://mindprod.com/ggloss/hyperthreading.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.