    there something I am doing wrong?
    In former times, people who craved absolute power became gangsters.
    Today, they become computer programmers.

    Roedy Green, Jun 2, 2014

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 09:20:51 -0700, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >Java tells me it wants one inch margins for printing with a LaserJet
    >1200. I have seen it get much closer to the edges than that. Is
    >there something I am doing wrong?

    The Canon MP210 does the same thing. I wonder if Java is ignoring what
    the printer says, and just uses as standard one inch.

    Roedy Green, Jun 2, 2014

  3. Roedy Green

    someone who said :

    >Java tells me it wants one inch margins for printing with a LaserJet
    >1200. I have seen it get much closer to the edges than that. Is
    >there something I am doing wrong?

    I found that the HP can physically print with .3" side margins and .25
    top and bottom margins.

    I found the Canon an print with .3" side margins and a 0.1 top and
    bottom margin. I can do this from Java if I ignore the printable
    regions that PrinterJob tells me.

    Roedy Green, Jun 2, 2014
  4. On 6/2/2014 09:20, Roedy Green wrote:
    > Java tells me it wants one inch margins for printing with a LaserJet
    > 1200. I have seen it get much closer to the edges than that. Is
    > there something I am doing wrong?

    See PageFormat.setPaper(), Paper.setImageableArea() and Paper.setSize().

    --

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Jun 2, 2014
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 13:15:05 -0700, Knute Johnson
    who said :

    >See PageFormat.setPaper(), Paper.setImageableArea() and Paper.setSize().

    That lets me handle setting margins a bit more elegantly, and tells me
    where the 1" margins came from, but it does not let me query now
    narrow the margins of any given printer can be.

    Another related question. When you print landscape, are you supposed
    to just pretend you are printing on an 11 x 8.5 paper, or are you
    supposed two print on an 8.5 x 11 paper and rotate the image yourself?

    Roedy Green, Jun 3, 2014
  6. Roedy Green

    someone who said :

    >Java tells me it wants one inch margins for printing with a LaserJet
    >1200. I have seen it get much closer to the edges than that. Is
    >there something I am doing wrong?

    The more I experiment, the stranger it gets.
    I can make it work if I ALSO select landscape in the printer option
    dialog. According to the docs, this should not work. LANDSCAPE is
    supposed to invert the direction of the y axis, but not rotate it.

    I think the way to handle this is to always print portrait, but do
    the rotations etc myself so the user does not need to fiddle with the
    printer configuration.

    Roedy Green, Jun 3, 2014
  7. On 6/3/2014 11:04, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 13:15:05 -0700, Knute Johnson
    > who said :
    >
    >> See PageFormat.setPaper(), Paper.setImageableArea() and Paper.setSize().

    > That lets me handle setting margins a bit more elegantly, and tells me
    > where the 1" margins came from, but it does not let me query now
    > narrow the margins of any given printer can be.
    >
    > Another related question. When you print landscape, are you supposed
    > to just pretend you are printing on an 11 x 8.5 paper, or are you
    > supposed two print on an 8.5 x 11 paper and rotate the image yourself?

    I think you should set the PageFormat to landscape. Please see the
    following code that I wrote to print images.

    //
    //
    // ImagePrinter
    //
    //
    // Version Date Modification
    //
    // 00.10 20 Jun 08 Incept
    // 00.11 23 Jun 08 add image file path to frame
    // 00.12 11 Jul 08 correct minor bug with page format
    // 00.20 22 Aug 08 add file filter to filechooser
    // 00.30 11 Dec 09 add code to persist page format
    // 00.31 22 Feb 10 change Image menu name to View and move Load
    Image
    // to File menu
    // 00.32 01 Apr 10 remove the orientation parameter from the page
    // format persistence
    // 00.34 09 Mar 12 modify to put data file in user.home
    // 00.40 03 Dec 13 center frame in screen
    //
    //

    package com.knutejohnson.tools.imageprinter;

    import java.awt.*;
    import java.awt.event.*;
    import java.awt.image.*;
    import java.awt.print.*;
    import java.io.*;
    import javax.imageio.*;
    import javax.swing.*;

    public class ImagePrinter extends JFrame implements ActionListener,
    Printable {
    static final String VERSION = "00.40";
    static final String DATE = "3 Decemter 2013";
    static final String HOME =
    System.getProperties().getProperty("user.home");
    static final String DATA_FILE = ".imageprinter";

    private final File dataFile;
    private final JFileChooser fc;
    private final PrinterJob pj;

    // the following are thread constrained
    private PageFormat pf;
    private BufferedImage bi;
    private boolean centered;
    private boolean scaled;
    private String fileName = "";

    public ImagePrinter() {
    super("ImagePrinter");

    setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE);

    addWindowListener(new WindowAdapter() {
    public void windowClosed(WindowEvent we) {
    saveData(pf);
    }
    });

    dataFile = new File(HOME,DATA_FILE);

    pj = PrinterJob.getPrinterJob();
    pf = pj.defaultPage();
    pj.setPrintable(this);
    fc = new JFileChooser("/");
    fc.addChoosableFileFilter(new ImageFileFilter());

    loadData(pf);

    JMenuBar mb = new JMenuBar();
    setJMenuBar(mb);

    JMenu file = new JMenu("File");
    JMenu view = new JMenu("View");
    JMenu help = new JMenu("Help");

    mb.add(file);
    mb.add(view);
    mb.add(help);

    JMenuItem pageFormat = new JMenuItem("Page Format");
    JMenuItem print = new JMenuItem("Print");
    JMenuItem quit = new JMenuItem("Quit");
    JMenuItem selectImage = new JMenuItem("Load Image");
    JCheckBoxMenuItem center = new JCheckBoxMenuItem("Center");
    JCheckBoxMenuItem scale = new JCheckBoxMenuItem("Scale To Fit");
    JMenuItem about = new JMenuItem("About");

    pageFormat.addActionListener(this);
    print.addActionListener(this);
    quit.addActionListener(this);
    selectImage.addActionListener(this);
    center.addActionListener(this);
    scale.addActionListener(this);
    about.addActionListener(this);

    file.add(selectImage);
    file.add(pageFormat);
    file.add(print);
    file.add(new JSeparator());
    file.add(quit);
    view.add(center);
    view.add(scale);
    help.add(about);

    add(new ImagePanel(),BorderLayout.CENTER);

    pack();
    setLocationRelativeTo(null);
    setVisible(true);

    String ac = ae.getActionCommand();
    if (ac.equals("Page Format")) {
    pf = pj.pageDialog(pf);
    repaint();
    } else if (ac.equals("Print")) {
    if (pj.printDialog())
    try {
    if (bi == null)
    throw new PrinterException("No Image Loaded");
    pj.print();
    } catch (PrinterException pe) {
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(ImagePrinter.this,pe,
    "Printing Error",JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE);
    }
    } else if (ac.equals("Quit")) {
    dispose();
    } else if (ac.equals("Load Image")) {
    int opt = fc.showOpenDialog(ImagePrinter.this);
    if (opt == JFileChooser.APPROVE_OPTION) {
    try {
    File file = fc.getSelectedFile();
    bi = ImageIO.read(file);
    if (bi == null) {
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(ImagePrinter.this,
    "Selected File Is Not An Image File",
    "Error Loading Image",JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE);
    fileName = "";
    } else {
    fileName = file.getPath();
    }
    } catch (IOException ioe) {
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(ImagePrinter.this,
    ioe,"Error Loading Image",
    JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE);
    }
    repaint();
    }
    } else if (ac.equals("Center")) {
    JCheckBoxMenuItem center = (JCheckBoxMenuItem)ae.getSource();
    centered = center.isSelected();
    repaint();
    } else if (ac.equals("Scale To Fit")) {
    JCheckBoxMenuItem scale = (JCheckBoxMenuItem)ae.getSource();
    scaled = scale.isSelected();
    repaint();
    } else if (ac.equals("About")) {
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(ImagePrinter.this,
    "ImagePrinter\nVersion: " + VERSION + " - " + DATE + "\n" +
    "Copyright \u00a9 Knute Johnson 2008-2013. All rights
    reserved.",
    "About",JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);

    public int print(Graphics g,PageFormat pf,int index) {
    if (index == 0) {
    render(g);
    return Printable.PAGE_EXISTS;
    } else
    return Printable.NO_SUCH_PAGE;
    }

    void render(Graphics g2D) {
    Graphics2D g = (Graphics2D)g2D;
    int x = (int)pf.getImageableX();
    int y = (int)pf.getImageableY();
    int w = bi.getWidth();
    int h = bi.getHeight();

    if (scaled) {
    double aspectRatioOfPage =
    pf.getImageableWidth() / pf.getImageableHeight();
    double aspectRatioOfImage = (double)w / h;
    if (aspectRatioOfImage > aspectRatioOfPage) {
    double scale = pf.getImageableWidth() / bi.getWidth();
    w = (int)(w * scale);
    h = (int)(h * scale);
    } else {
    double scale = pf.getImageableHeight() / bi.getHeight();
    w = (int)(w * scale);
    h = (int)(h * scale);
    if (centered) {
    int adjust = ((int)pf.getImageableWidth() - w) / 2;
    x += adjust;

    adjust = ((int)pf.getImageableHeight() - h) / 2;
    y += adjust;
    }
    g.drawImage(bi,x,y,w,h,null);
    }

    private void loadData(PageFormat pf) {
    Paper paper = pf.getPaper();
    try {
    BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new
    FileReader(dataFile));
    double x = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    double y = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    double iX = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    double iY = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    double w = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    double h = Double.parseDouble(br.readLine());
    br.close();
    paper.setImageableArea(x,y,iX,iY);
    paper.setSize(w,h);
    pf.setPaper(paper);
    } catch (IOException ioe) {
    ioe.printStackTrace();
    } catch (NumberFormatException nfe) {
    nfe.printStackTrace();

    private void saveData(PageFormat pf) {
    Paper paper = pf.getPaper();
    try {
    BufferedWriter bw = new BufferedWriter(new
    FileWriter(dataFile));
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getImageableX()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getImageableY()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getImageableWidth()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getImageableHeight()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getWidth()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.write(Double.toString(paper.getHeight()));
    bw.newLine();
    bw.close();
    } catch (IOException ioe) {
    ioe.printStackTrace();

    class ImagePanel extends JPanel {
    public ImagePanel() {
    setPreferredSize(new Dimension(500,500));
    }

    public void paintComponent(Graphics g2D) {
    // anti-alias all drawing
    Graphics2D g = (Graphics2D)g2D;
    g.setRenderingHint(RenderingHints.KEY_ANTIALIASING,
    RenderingHints.VALUE_ANTIALIAS_ON);
    // draw file pathname
    g.drawString(fileName,10,20);
    // set scale
    g.scale(0.5,0.5);
    // center the paper in the frame
    g.translate((getWidth() * 2.0 - pf.getWidth()) / 2.0,
    (getHeight() * 2.0 - pf.getHeight()) / 2.0);
    // draw the paper
    g.drawRect(0,0,(int)pf.getWidth(),(int)pf.getHeight());
    // draw the imageable area
    g.drawRect((int)pf.getImageableX(),(int)pf.getImageableY(),
    (int)pf.getImageableWidth(),(int)pf.getImageableHeight());
    // draw the image if it exists
    if (bi != null)
    render(g);

    static class ImageFileFilter extends
    javax.swing.filechooser.FileFilter {
    public boolean accept(File file) {
    return file.isDirectory() || file.getName().matches(
    "^.*\\.(?i:jpg|jpeg|png|bmp|wbmp|gif)$");
    }

    public String getDescription() {
    return "Image Files";

    EventQueue.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
    public void run() {
    new ImagePrinter();
    }
    });

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Jun 5, 2014
  8. On 6/3/2014 11:04, Roedy Green wrote:
    > That lets me handle setting margins a bit more elegantly, and tells me
    > where the 1" margins came from, but it does not let me query now
    > narrow the margins of any given printer can be.

    No it doesn't and if you figure that out I would love to know. I
    originally thought that you could get that information from the
    PrinterJob somehow but I can't figure it out.

    --

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Jun 5, 2014
  9. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:36:50 -0700, Roedy Green
    someone who said :

    >I think the way to handle this is to always print portrait, but do
    >the rotations etc myself so the user does not need to fiddle with the
    >printer configuration.

    This is what I did. I works fine. I let the user optionally adjust the
    margins. There is no sign of a native method to find out the true
    margins.

    Roedy Green, Jun 5, 2014
  10. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 06/04/2014 11:27 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
    > On 6/3/2014 11:04, Roedy Green wrote:
    >> That lets me handle setting margins a bit more elegantly, and tells me
    >> where the 1" margins came from, but it does not let me query now
    >> narrow the margins of any given printer can be.

    > No it doesn't and if you figure that out I would love to know. I
    > originally thought that you could get that information from the
    > PrinterJob somehow but I can't figure it out.

    I've not tested javax.print.attribute.standard.MediaPrintableArea.

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 6, 2014
  11. On 6/5/2014 16:56, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > On 06/04/2014 11:27 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
    >> On 6/3/2014 11:04, Roedy Green wrote:
    >>> That lets me handle setting margins a bit more elegantly, and tells me
    >>> where the 1" margins came from, but it does not let me query now
    >>> narrow the margins of any given printer can be.

    >> No it doesn't and if you figure that out I would love to know. I
    >> originally thought that you could get that information from the
    >> PrinterJob somehow but I can't figure it out.
    >>

    > I've not tested javax.print.attribute.standard.MediaPrintableArea.

    I'll look into that, thanks.

    --

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Jun 6, 2014
  12. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 20:25:38 -0700, Knute Johnson
    who said :

    >I think you should set the PageFormat to landscape. Please see the
    >following code that I wrote to print images.

    Nothing rotated. I could get it to rotate by choosing landscape by
    clicking into the Windows printer dialog.

    And of course I was able to get it to rotate with AffineTransform.

    Roedy Green, Jun 8, 2014
  13. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 20:27:30 -0700, Knute Johnson
    who said :

    >No it doesn't and if you figure that out I would love to know. I
    >originally thought that you could get that information from the
    >PrinterJob somehow but I can't figure it out.

    I had a look at the code. The margins are set to one inch all the
    time. There is no native method to find out the actual margins.

    I suppose you could collect the numbers for thousands of printers. I
    don't know if PrintJob will give you a manfacturer and model number.

    Maybe a bit of JNI could add that ability.

    Roedy Green, Jun 8, 2014
  14. On 6/8/2014 06:17, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 20:25:38 -0700, Knute Johnson
    > who said :
    >

    >> I think you should set the PageFormat to landscape. Please see the
    >> following code that I wrote to print images.

    > Nothing rotated. I could get it to rotate by choosing landscape by
    > clicking into the Windows printer dialog.
    >
    > And of course I was able to get it to rotate with AffineTransform.

    Maybe I misunderstood what you wanted. To print landscape just select
    landscape but if you want your image drawn rotated, you have to do that
    yourself.

    --

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Jun 8, 2014
  15. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 06/08/2014 11:49 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > Are there any Java classes that support IPP?

    java+ipp brings up cups4j, ippclient, jspi and
    <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/jps/spec/JPSTOC.fm.html>.

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 9, 2014
  16. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 06/08/2014 10:50 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > On 06/08/2014 11:49 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    >> Are there any Java classes that support IPP?

    > java+ipp brings up cups4j, ippclient, jspi and
    > <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/jps/spec/JPSTOC.fm.html>.

    I'd be interested in seeing a PrintService that returned a
    MediaPrintableArea
    among its supported Attributes, even if the MediaPrintableArea class docs
    state that "IPP Compatibility: MediaPrintableArea is not an IPP attribute."

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 9, 2014
  17. On 6/8/2014 15:40, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 14:09:46 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/8/2014 06:17, Roedy Green wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 20:25:38 -0700, Knute Johnson
    >>> <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone

    >>> Nothing rotated. I could get it to rotate by choosing landscape by
    >>> clicking into the Windows printer dialog.
    >>>
    >>> And of course I was able to get it to rotate with AffineTransform.
    >>>

    >> Maybe I misunderstood what you wanted. To print landscape just select
    >> landscape but if you want your image drawn rotated, you have to do that
    >> yourself.

    > Knute's program works here and does exactly what it says on the tin: pick
    > an image that's longer than its wide, select landscape, select the
    > printer, hit print and its done. The printed result is exactly what I
    > expected: the image occupies the full printable area of the page (without
    > changing default margins, which Knute's program doesn't allow, and is in
    > landscape mode on the page.
    >
    > I'm running Linux Fedora 20, java version "1.6.0_45", and printing to a
    > LAN-attached HP Laserjet 5 with a JetDirect network interface card.
    >
    > I assume that's pretty close what you wanted.

    To be honest I default the margins to 0.3 inches for my printer. But
    select PageFormat from the File menu and you can set the margins.

    --

    Knute Johnson

    Knute Johnson, Jun 9, 2014
  18. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 06/09/2014 11:30 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 23:32:40 -0400, Jeff Higgins wrote:

    >>> java+ipp brings up cups4j, ippclient, jspi and
    >>> <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/jps/spec/

    > JPSTOC.fm.html>.
    >>>

    >> I'd be interested in seeing a PrintService that returned a
    >> MediaPrintableArea among its supported Attributes, even if the
    >> MediaPrintableArea class docs state that "IPP Compatibility:
    >> MediaPrintableArea is not an IPP attribute."

    > LibreOffice + CUPS only shows the following printer properties:
    >
    > paper size,orientation,duplex,paper tray
    >
    > for my HP Laserjet 5. I just tried printing a page with all margins set
    > to zero, expecting that at least one or two characters would be cut off
    > on the left margin but, no, it just left a (guessed 4mm margin all round.
    >
    > I can't tell if CUPS knows what the required margins are for an LJ5.
    > However, something seems to have decided to use the printable
    > area rather than the physical page size and to have centred it on the
    > physical page. The only think I know for sure is that the CUPS client,
    > i.e. Libre Office, knew nothing about required minimal margins. If it did
    > know that, then I'd have expected to refuse to set zero margin widths.
    >
    > My guess, and thats all it is, is that Java would do the same if I'd been
    > running an application that printed through cups4j or one of the other
    > classes you listed.

    Intersting site, especially the section titled
    "PDF is the standard print job format from CUPS 1.6.x on".
    <http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/group>
    Thanks to all for the prompting.

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 9, 2014
  19. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 06/09/2014 01:29 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > Intersting site, especially the section titled
    > "PDF is the standard print job format from CUPS 1.6.x on".
    > <http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/group>
    > Thanks to all for the prompting.

    Plus, "Dissecting The CUPS Filtering System" (2002)
    <http://www.openprinting.org/download/kpfeifle/LinuxKongress2002/Tutorial/V.CUPS-Filtering-Architecture/V.CUPS-Workshop-LinuxKongress2002-Content.html>
    which may well be out of date, given the above note.

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 9, 2014
  20. Roedy Green

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    Huh. http://localhost:631/, never knew that was there.