    also interesting.

    Best regards
    Niels Dybdahl
    Niels Dybdahl, Dec 19, 2006

  2. Hi,

    what you are describing is exactly (one of) the reason why I do not like
    JasperReports - it is not 'dynamic' enough.

    I like iText very much (on which JasperReport is based), because you can
    *program* a report instead of defining a (always somehow 'statical')
    report-template.

    Ciao,
    Ingo
    Ingo R. Homann, Dec 19, 2006

  3. > what you are describing is exactly (one of) the reason why I do not like
    > JasperReports - it is not 'dynamic' enough.
    > I like iText very much (on which JasperReport is based), because you can
    > *program* a report instead of defining a (always somehow 'statical')
    > report-template.

    Thanks Ingo, I have looked at iText and it seems to be what I need for
    PDF.

    Best regards
    Niels
    Niels Dybdahl, Dec 19, 2006
  4. Niels Dybdahl

    Pacholee Guest

    Hi Niels

    IntelliVIEW SDK may be what you're looking for, have a look at
    http://www.synaptris.com/products/reporting-analytics/intelliview-sdk/index.html
    for more info.

    it allows you to control which columns are displayed, moreover it can
    export to both Excel and PDF.

    Pranav

    Pacholee, Dec 20, 2006
  5. Niels Dybdahl

    Guest

    If you're looking for an enterprise solution, VRS by Vermilion Software
    (http://www.vermilionsoftware.com) is a full on web server reporting
    solution for end users but with a Java API that allows custom
    developers to programmatic control of the data columns and rows on the
    output.
    Regards
    Errol

    Niels Dybdahl wrote:

    > I am looking for a reporting tool for Java that allows me to control
    > from my Java application which columns should be shown in each table.
    >
    > I have looked at a some tools (JasperReports, JFreeReport and
    > ReportMill). They all require a XML-template which defines which
    > columns should be shown in each table. They do have crosstabs, which
    > could be abused to let the Java application control the columns, but I
    > guess that would only work for columns with numbers and not for
    > strings.
    >
    > So can you recommend a report package that is not template based ? I
    > would prefer if it could generate both PDF and Excel, but PDF alone is
    > also interesting.
    >
    > Best regards
    > Niels Dybdahl
    , Jan 6, 2007
  6. Niels Dybdahl

    Richard Guest

    iText? http://www.informit.com/articles/printerfriendly.asp?p=420686&rl=1

    Richard

    Richard, Jan 6, 2007
  7. Niels Dybdahl

    Lew Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > iText? http://www.informit.com/articles/printerfriendly.asp?p=420686&rl=1

    I was on a Web-app project that used iText <http://www.lowagie.com/iText/> and
    it was hugely useful. The programmer who was in charge of that part had never
    used iText before, and had what we needed up in about two days. When
    management asked for changes in the layout, different headers, footers,
    columns or whatever, he adjusted in minutes to an hour of effort each time.

    - Lew
    Lew, Jan 6, 2007