    PITCH and SPEED at the same time. Just want to control speed,
    maintain PITCH.

    Thank you

    Mike, Nov 3, 2004

  2. "Mike" <> schreef in bericht
    news:...
    > In Windows media/other audio apps you can adjust the playback speed of
    > an audio file while MAINTAINING pitch.
    >
    > Was wondering how to do this with java sound.
    >
    > found:
    > SampleRateControl
    >
    > by searching, but as far as I can understand, this will only alter the
    > PITCH and SPEED at the same time. Just want to control speed,
    > maintain PITCH.

    I'm afraid you'll have to this manually by calculating a band shift in the
    frequency domain after increasing the speed+pitch.

    Boudewijn Dijkstra, Nov 4, 2004

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Boudewijn Dijkstra" <> wrote in message news:<41897198$0$44076$>...
    > "Mike" <> schreef in bericht
    > > In Windows media/other audio apps you can adjust the playback speed of
    > > an audio file while MAINTAINING pitch.
    > >
    > > Was wondering how to do this with java sound.
    > >
    > > found:
    > > SampleRateControl
    > >
    > > by searching, but as far as I can understand, this will only alter the
    > > PITCH and SPEED at the same time. Just want to control speed,
    > > maintain PITCH.

    > I'm afraid you'll have to this manually by calculating a band shift in the
    > frequency domain after increasing the speed+pitch.

    Do you have any pointers/links for guidelines on this process?
    Haven't been able to find anything searching so far on it. If not,
    thanks for the help anyway.

    Mike, Nov 4, 2004
  4. "Mike" <> schreef in bericht
    > "Boudewijn Dijkstra" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mike" <> schreef in bericht
    >> > In Windows media/other audio apps you can adjust the playback speed
    >> > of an audio file while MAINTAINING pitch.
    >> >
    >> > Was wondering how to do this with java sound.
    >> >
    >> > found:
    >> > SampleRateControl
    >> >
    >> > by searching, but as far as I can understand, this will only alter
    >> > the PITCH and SPEED at the same time. Just want to control speed,
    >> > maintain PITCH.

    >> I'm afraid you'll have to this manually by calculating a band shift
    >> in the frequency domain after increasing the speed+pitch.

    > Do you have any pointers/links for guidelines on this process?
    > Haven't been able to find anything searching so far on it. If not,
    > thanks for the help anyway.

    1. resample to the desired speed (including the pitch-altering side-effects)
    2. FFT (enter the frequency domain)
    3. resample to the correct shift (removing the side-effects)
    4. reverse FFT (leave the frequency domain)

    Please be aware that I haven't tried this myself nor do I know whether 'the
    professionals' do it this way. But it will definately work, if executed
    correctly. Although I cannot guarantee good sound quality for other speed
    changes than those by a factor of a whole power of two.

    In short, I'd like to see what you make of it.

    Boudewijn Dijkstra, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    (Mike) wrote in message news:<>...
    > In Windows media/other audio apps you can adjust the playback speed of
    > an audio file while MAINTAINING pitch.
    >
    > Was wondering how to do this with java sound.
    >
    > found:
    > SampleRateControl
    >
    > by searching, but as far as I can understand, this will only alter the
    > PITCH and SPEED at the same time. Just want to control speed,
    > maintain PITCH.
    >
    > Thank you

    Thanks for helping, and pitching in the info. It's going to be
    awhile, but will post back here for the occasional bump(hopefully more
    input) and let you know how it worked out.

    Mike, Nov 7, 2004