Java Update w/out Internet

edavid3001

I have the responsibility to patch Sun Java on around 600 machines. I
use Zenworks for most machines, which works well.

The problem I am facing is updating various servers which are without
Internet access. They are on a LAN.

Typically when I do this, I either point programs to update via a
Proxy server, and point them to a Proxy which only allows access to
select update servers. Or I setup a rule on the firewall to allow
traffic to just the update site.

The problem with Sun Java is that it uses Akamai, so I have a lot of
IP addresses to open up which open up other downloads. And the javadl-
esd.sun.com aliases to many other names, which change depending on the
Akamai DNS server you query.

So I am looking at other ways to allow the Java Update functionality
to work. Is there a way to just have that functionality utilize PROXY
for download - and not force Java itself to use a proxy?

Or can I modify the registry and point Java Update\Policy
\UpdateServletURL to my own copy of http://javadl-esd.sun.com/update/1.5.0/map-1.5.0.xml
which points to an internal HTTP server, and then copy
http://javadl-esd.sun.com/update/1.6.0/1.6.0_03-b05.xml to that server
too along with the installers? Will that work?

I want Java Update to function & allow my admins to notice an update
is available and allow them to update.

Edwin