Java Vs Perl

atbusbook

Disclamer i use perl to make the point clearer i'm not saying that perl
is the perfict languige but perl is just a languige thats populer and
im lerning it

Java is staticly typed and slower than perl and espeshaly consitering
perl has to parse Sourse Code Most of the time. it has all the cons of
a scripting languige with none of its pros wich is Loose Dinamic
Typeing. lets compare some perl code to some java.

Hello World

Perl

print "hello world\n";

Java

class hello{
public static void main(){
System.out.println("hello world");

Parot # not to be confuesed with perl6

Perl

while(my $foo = <>){
print $foo;
}

Java
class parot{
static BufferedReader stdin = new BufferedReader(new
FileInputStreamReader(System.in));
public static void main throws IOExseption{
String foo;
while(foo=stdin.readLine){
System.out.println(foo);

__end__

Perl has dinamic arrays
Java does not

Perl does not kare what your script is caled.
Java Does

In conclusion Java Has All The Cons Of Perl With None Of The Benefites

Alex Hunsley

Disclamer i use perl to make the point clearer i'm not saying that perl
is the perfict languige but perl is just a languige thats populer and
im lerning it

Java is staticly typed and slower than perl and espeshaly consitering
perl has to parse Sourse Code Most of the time. it has all the cons of
a scripting languige with none of its pros wich is Loose Dinamic
Typeing. lets compare some perl code to some java.
[snip]

Perl has dinamic arrays
Java does not

Check out Vectors et al (Collections) in Java.
Perl does not kare what your script is caled.
Java Does

In conclusion Java Has All The Cons Of Perl With None Of The Benefites

Pshaw.

Are you dyslexic by any chance, btw? I suggest you use a spell checker
on your posts, it could aid readability.

atbusbook

Can you put an base type into it without swadleing it in Integer. Java
Programers Are a dime a dosen. do you have Anonamus subruteans. can you
read a string from STDIN || System.in do you have to have mile long
lines just to open a file for reading. Java == Slow Cobal. just
replasce = with move and you basicly got it.

Niels Dybdahl

In conclusion Java Has All The Cons Of Perl With None Of The Benefites

You have to learn more before you can make such a conclusion.

Niels Dybdahl

Thomas Weidenfeller

Disclamer i use perl to make the point clearer i'm not saying that perl
is the perfict languige but perl is just a languige thats populer and
im lerning it

Troll, please post advocacy to an advocacy newsgroup and don't troll the
normal newsgroups. F'up set.

/Thomas

Mark Thomas

[...]

I don't believe a word of it - no-one can spell that badly!

Mark

chris brat

Why do you think that writing a 'Hello world' app proves anything about
Java?

You have not even touched the surface of what is required to write a
true production application - or even bothered to investigate what IS
offered by Java.

Rhino

Mark Thomas said:
I don't believe a word of it - no-one can spell that badly!

I tend to agree with you.

A few months back, I read a post at comp.lang.java.help from a guy who
spelled just about this badly. I pointed out that his spelling and grammar
made it much harder to read his post and suggested he could surely have done
a much better job if he'd tried. I also apologized for offending him if he
was just learning English since I know that English is a very difficult
language for non-English speakers to learn.

In his reply, he made it clear that he was fluent in English but "he'd been
in a hurry" and was sure we'd figure out what he meant anyway so he decided
not to bother to write clearly.

I'm not saying that the current poster is definitely just lazy but he COULD
be. Then again, there are some terrible spellers out there. It's a rare day
when I don't cringe over terribly spelled words. Mind you, it's pretty rare
to see anyone make as many errors in a few paragraphs as the current poster
has.

More likely, this is just a troll, perhaps a regular on this newsgroup
trying to disguise his identity with a new 'nym and writing style.

RC

but perl is just a languige thats populer and
im lerning it

Why don't you learn PHP? After you learn PHP you may not want to
use Perl any more.

Perl has dinamic arrays
Java does not

???

There are Java applet (client side)and
Java servlet/JSP (server side)
don't write applet if you don't have to. Because
in slow network, different browsers support different
version of Java, etc.

Java servlet or Perl that is your choice/preference

The same for Java JSP or PHP is your choice/preference, too.

Just let you know many people in our organization
changed their CGI Perl script to PHP embed with HTML.

atbusbook

#1 Hello world tells how much burocracy a programer has to deal with to
write a simple sc ript or simple app. Whats with Thowes long lines

Do any hackers love java?

atbusbook

Perl is just for example only i use it as a reprisenitive of the
scripting languiges im lerning ruby.

Steve Wampler

#1 Hello world tells how much burocracy a programer has to deal with to
write a simple sc ript or simple app.

Hmmm, that would make HQ9+ the perfect programming language.

jmcgill

In conclusion Java Has All The Cons Of Perl With None Of The Benefites

I think it's sad that people are lazy and unmotivated enough that they
would just learn one programming language. A person who is passionate
about the art will strive to learn every language that he comes across,
instead of making arguments why one is better than another.

The fact that your comparison is all about suitability of each language
to the "hello world" level of programming isn't the most important thing
that jumps out of your comments. What I read from your comments is that
you don't really want to be a programmer at all. You just want to
choose the easiest path to learning a basic level of a programming
language so that you can be done with it and move on to the next thing.

Roedy Green

Java is staticly typed and slower than perl and espeshaly consitering
perl has to parse Sourse Code Most of the time. it has all the cons of
a scripting languige with none of its pros wich is Loose Dinamic
Typeing. lets compare some perl code to some java.

I would feel mightily embarrassed to presume to write an essay on Perl
or Java or the differences between the two if the only code I knew
how to write were HelloWorld. Further, I would feel even more
embarrassed, knowing that if I were as bad a speller as you, not to
use a spell checker before posting. People might assume I was only 12
years old and too wet behind the ears to have an opinion worth
listening to.

opalpa

In the last three days I've written code in java, perl, awk, tcl and
bash; I'm happy each exists and is available. If I could only choose
one it would be java, without a doubt.

Re: "Hello World" in java and perl

Java is more concerned with what happens when programs get large; your
examples are not what Java facilitates.

Opalinski
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.geocities.com/opalpaweb/