Java WSDP and Tomcat 5

G.C.

Hello,

I am trying to install wsdp 1.5 on a machine with tomcat 5.0.28 and I
am not successful.
I was successful to install it with the provided tomcat version only.
Can anyone please tell me if wsdp 1.5 works only with the provided
version of tomcat or it is supposed to work with other versions of
tomcat also?! it's very important for me to know, since in the same
application I am using another program which requires tomcat 5.0.28!

Thanks,
GC

iksrazal

jwsdp comes with lots of technologies, but I've used wscompile, jaxb,
web services and a few of the others accross a wide range of tomcat
versions - including 4.x and 5.x, without any problems.

I'm not sure I understand your problem. I just installed 1.5 recently,
and I don't recall being asked for a tomcat location, just the jvm, and
lots of the technologies are independant of a servlet container. I do
use linux though ;-) .

hth,
iksrazal
http://www.braziloutsource.com/

G.C.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Well, yes, it looks like it makes a
difference: I am working with windows, and I was asked for tomcat
location, and it was not ready to accept tomcat 5.0.28 as a legal
tomcat!
Do you have any idea how to work with wsdp (I actually need the web
services only) with tomcat 4?

Thanks,
GC

iksrazal

My advice is that if you have a choice, skip JWSDP for web services and
run as fast as you can to Axis. I know both well and IMHO Axis is much
easier and has a larger community where it is more likely to get help
when you need it.

If you need to do anything with WSDL - not mandatory by the way - for
stuff like custom complex objects, ie, passing and/or recieving arrays
or objects with your own vars, wsdl2java and java2wsdl is light years
ahead of JWSDP, where its hand editing all the way. I'm hand editing on
a project now - not fun.

If you have security requirements, ie handlers, Axis is also way ahead.
In short, anything approaching complexity in JWSDP gets thin on
documentation and community help really quick.

Axis works fine in tomcat 4.x .

HTH,
iksrazal
http://www.braziloutsource.com/

iksrazal

There are a lot of little details getting it up the first time, but its
worth it. Try:

1) Looking for the axis happiness page.
2) Look at your tomcat logs, often you will see hints or exceptions.
3) Pay particular attention to the endored dirs.
4) Why are you using a listener? The install instructions don't mention
it, and since its a web service I can't imagine why you would need one.

5) Use the tomcat manager to verify the name of the url associated with
the deployment, and any classes you expect to be there.

HTH,
iksrazal
http://www.braziloutsource.com/

G.C.

Hi,

Just letting you know that I was successful to install axis. This was
not easy at all!

All the best, and thanks for your help,
GC