JAVAFX Rendering

Discussion in 'Java' started by nataraja gadikota, Dec 10, 2012.

  1. Hi ,
    I'm looking for a Java based solution for my canvas problem
    TCL/TK is not able to handle 3million rectangles on a canvas !

    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/comp.lang.tcl/Dxh4KyOOojY

    "
    Today I had to visualize a huge Data Structure with 146k nodes
    and each node is a set of polys/rectangles >20

    I've drawn everything on a Canvas , Appximately 3 million objects were created
    All my operations Zoom , Scrolling , Moving Objects on this Canvas have become very SLOW

    I've tested the code with 100 nodes , everything is working fine at that level
    When I increase the DS , I'm looking at these issues .

    Any suggestions previous experiences on how to improve the speed ?
    "

    Can JavaFX , Java/Swing Handle that much data ?

    Thanks
    Nataraja G
    nataraja gadikota, Dec 10, 2012

  2. nataraja gadikota

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/10/2012 6:43 AM, nataraja gadikota wrote:
    > I'm looking for a Java based solution for my canvas problem
    > TCL/TK is not able to handle 3million rectangles on a canvas !
    >
    > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/comp.lang.tcl/Dxh4KyOOojY
    >
    > "
    > Today I had to visualize a huge Data Structure with 146k nodes
    > and each node is a set of polys/rectangles >20
    >
    > I've drawn everything on a Canvas , Appximately 3 million objects were created
    > All my operations Zoom , Scrolling , Moving Objects on this Canvas have become very SLOW
    >
    > I've tested the code with 100 nodes , everything is working fine at that level
    > When I increase the DS , I'm looking at these issues .
    >
    > Any suggestions previous experiences on how to improve the speed ?
    > "
    >
    > Can JavaFX , Java/Swing Handle that much data ?

    3 million graphical objects seems like a lot.

    But:
    - plenty of CPU and RAM
    - a 64 bit JVM to utilize the memory
    - a GPU that is supported by JavaFX for hardware acceleration
    - Java' JIT
    then it is probably your best chance for good performance at
    this abstraction level.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 10, 2012

  3. nataraja gadikota

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <>,
    nataraja gadikota <> wrote:

    > Hi ,
    > I'm looking for a Java based solution for my canvas problem
    > TCL/TK is not able to handle 3million rectangles on a canvas !
    >
    > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/comp.lang.tcl/Dxh4KyOOojY
    >
    > "
    > Today I had to visualize a huge Data Structure with 146k nodes
    > and each node is a set of polys/rectangles >20
    >
    > I've drawn everything on a Canvas , Appximately 3 million objects were
    > created
    > All my operations Zoom , Scrolling , Moving Objects on this Canvas have
    > become very SLOW
    >
    > I've tested the code with 100 nodes , everything is working fine at that
    > level
    > When I increase the DS , I'm looking at these issues .
    >
    > Any suggestions previous experiences on how to improve the speed ?

    Sounds like you should consider clipping
    (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(computer_graphics)>) when you
    have zoomed in and showing low-resolution versions of groups of nodes
    (if your data consists of node groups in a tree-like structure) when
    you are zoomed out (I don't remember the word for this; "greeking" is a
    term applied to showing fuzzy blobs for text when the characters are
    too small to see clearly).

    In other words: don't draw all 3 million nodes, just the ones that
    would be visible on the screen. If a group of nodes is too small to be
    seen in detail, substitute a low-resolution graphic for the group.

    --
    Jim Gibson
    Jim Gibson, Dec 10, 2012
  4. Hi Arne ,
    CPU/GPU/RAM is not a problem
    I'm working on huge server's !

    with all these do you think I can handle
    even 3million is a small number for my application !!
    there could be x10 more

    Thanks
    Nataraja G

    nataraja gadikota, Dec 11, 2012
  5. Thanks Jim ,
    that's a new idea
    I'll try to work it out !

    nataraja gadikota, Dec 11, 2012
  6. nataraja gadikota

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/11/2012 12:14 PM, nataraja gadikota wrote:
    > On Monday, December 10, 2012 10:37:21 PM UTC+5:30, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> On 12/10/2012 6:43 AM, nataraja gadikota wrote:
    >>> I'm looking for a Java based solution for my canvas problem
    >>> TCL/TK is not able to handle 3million rectangles on a canvas !
    >>>
    >>> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/comp.lang.tcl/Dxh4KyOOojY
    >>>
    >>> "
    >>> Today I had to visualize a huge Data Structure with 146k nodes
    >>> and each node is a set of polys/rectangles >20
    >>>
    >>> I've drawn everything on a Canvas , Appximately 3 million objects were created
    >>> All my operations Zoom , Scrolling , Moving Objects on this Canvas have become very SLOW
    >>>
    >>> I've tested the code with 100 nodes , everything is working fine at that level
    >>> When I increase the DS , I'm looking at these issues .
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions previous experiences on how to improve the speed ?
    >>> "
    >>>
    >>> Can JavaFX , Java/Swing Handle that much data ?

    >> 3 million graphical objects seems like a lot.
    >>
    >> But:
    >> - plenty of CPU and RAM
    >> - a 64 bit JVM to utilize the memory
    >> - a GPU that is supported by JavaFX for hardware acceleration
    >> - Java' JIT
    >> then it is probably your best chance for good performance at
    >> this abstraction level.

    > CPU/GPU/RAM is not a problem
    > I'm working on huge server's !
    >
    > with all these do you think I can handle
    > even 3million is a small number for my application !!
    > there could be x10 more

    I don't know.

    You should measure.

    But if the combo above can not do it, then I doubt that any
    solution at this abstraction level can do it.

    So measure.

    If it works then fine.

    If it does not work then either:
    - go low level with the cost of that
    - redefine your solution so you do not need so many gui objects

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 11, 2012
  7. nataraja gadikota, Jan 6, 2013