    understanding that the JavaMail API is pretty much for user-interface?

    If this is not what I need, any suggestions?

    TIA!
    TC, Nov 2, 2004

  2. TC

    Sudsy Guest

    TC wrote:
    <snip>
    > I am going to write some code where a process can trigger the need to
    > send an email. This will all be batch - no user interaction. Is it my
    > understanding that the JavaMail API is pretty much for user-interface?

    <snip>

    Not at all! JavaMail is commonly used to generate e-mails automatically,
    order confirmations, etc. Viewing of mail is typically achieved using a
    mail viewer app such as LookOut!, elm, etc. These apps can also create
    and send mail. I've got a very simple class I can send you off-ng if
    you'd like...

    Sudsy, Nov 2, 2004

  3. TC

    Eric Sosman Guest

    TC wrote:
    > I have just started reading about this API and found something that
    > tells me this may not be what I need:
    >
    > "...users interact with Mail User Agent (MUA) type programs to read and
    > write emails. Mail Transfer Agents (MTA) are used to handle the actual
    > delivery."
    >
    > I am going to write some code where a process can trigger the need to
    > send an email. This will all be batch - no user interaction. Is it my
    > understanding that the JavaMail API is pretty much for user-interface?
    >
    > If this is not what I need, any suggestions?

    Just because it's called a "user agent" doesn't mean
    the "user" must be a person who clicks mice, clacks keys,
    or drags and drops dragon droppings. The "user" can just
    as well be an autonomous program, and JavaMail is fine for
    what you describe.

    Eric Sosman, Nov 2, 2004
  4. TC

    TC Guest

    Sudsy wrote:

    > TC wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > I am going to write some code where a process can trigger the need
    > > to send an email. This will all be batch - no user interaction.
    > > Is it my understanding that the JavaMail API is pretty much for
    > > user-interface?

    > <snip>
    >
    > Not at all! JavaMail is commonly used to generate e-mails
    > automatically, order confirmations, etc. Viewing of mail is typically
    > achieved using a mail viewer app such as LookOut!, elm, etc. These
    > apps can also create and send mail. I've got a very simple class I
    > can send you off-ng if you'd like...

    Thanks! I would like to see the class.
    TC, Nov 2, 2004
  5. TC

    TC Guest

    TC wrote:

    > Sudsy wrote:
    >
    > > TC wrote:
    > > <snip>
    > > > I am going to write some code where a process can trigger the need
    > > > to send an email. This will all be batch - no user interaction.
    > > > Is it my understanding that the JavaMail API is pretty much for
    > > > user-interface?

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Not at all! JavaMail is commonly used to generate e-mails
    > > automatically, order confirmations, etc. Viewing of mail is
    > > typically achieved using a mail viewer app such as LookOut!, elm,
    > > etc. These apps can also create and send mail. I've got a very
    > > simple class I can send you off-ng if you'd like...

    > Thanks! I would like to see the class.

    metrotex30 at yahoo dot com
    TC, Nov 2, 2004
  6. TC

    Sudsy Guest

    TC wrote:
    <snip>

    > Thanks! I would like to see the class.

    So send me an e-mail so I can send it in the reply.

    Sudsy, Nov 2, 2004