JavaMail Create Session Problem

Mikey

I am attempting to use JavaMail to send an email from a servlet running
under Tomcat. The code compiles fine but the servlet processing stops
on an attempt to create a session instance. I'm new to Java and am
probably making a basic mistake. The code segments are shown below. The
processing stops at the "Session.." line with the Tomcat root cause
error message:

"java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/mail/Session"

I've tried several variations of examples that I've found in Java
references - with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Code snippets:

import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;
import java.text.*;
import javax.mail.*;
import javax.mail.internet.*;
import java.util.Properties;
Properties props = new Properties();
props.setProperty("mail.transport.protocol", "smtp");
props.setProperty("mail.host", "host mail server");
props.setProperty("mail.user", "sender email");
props.setProperty("mail.password", "my password");
Session mailSession = Session.getDefaultInstance(props, null);
try {
Transport transport = mailSession.getTransport();

MimeMessage message = new MimeMessage(mailSession);
message.setContent("This is a test", "text/plain");
message.addRecipient(Message.RecipientType.TO,
new InternetAddress("(e-mail address removed)"));

transport.connect();
transport.sendMessage(message,
message.getRecipients(Message.RecipientType.TO));
transport.close();
} catch (MessagingException ex) {
while ((ex = (MessagingException)ex.getNextException()) != null) {
ex.printStackTrace();

James Westby

Mikey said:
I am attempting to use JavaMail to send an email from a servlet running
under Tomcat. The code compiles fine but the servlet processing stops
on an attempt to create a session instance. I'm new to Java and am
probably making a basic mistake. The code segments are shown below. The
processing stops at the "Session.." line with the Tomcat root cause
error message:

"java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/mail/Session"

I've tried several variations of examples that I've found in Java
references - with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.
[snip]

Do you have the JavaMail classes available to the servlet when running.
i.e. do you have the JavaMail jar on the classpath somewhere?

James

Mikey

James said:
Mikey said:
I am attempting to use JavaMail to send an email from a servlet running
under Tomcat. The code compiles fine but the servlet processing stops
on an attempt to create a session instance. I'm new to Java and am
probably making a basic mistake. The code segments are shown below. The
processing stops at the "Session.." line with the Tomcat root cause
error message:

"java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/mail/Session"

I've tried several variations of examples that I've found in Java
references - with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.
[snip]

Do you have the JavaMail classes available to the servlet when running.
i.e. do you have the JavaMail jar on the classpath somewhere?

James

Mikey

James,

Thanks for your reply. I have the following in my classpath

/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/webapps/pdf/WEB-INF/lib/javamail-1.3.3_01/mail.jar:/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/webapps/pdf
/WEB-INF/lib/jaf-1.0.2/activation.jar

These were the two jar files described in the JavaMail installation
instructions.

Mike

Raymond DeCampo

Mikey said:
James,

Thanks for your reply. I have the following in my classpath

/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/webapps/pdf/WEB-INF/lib/javamail-1.3.3_01/mail.jar:/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/webapps/pdf
/WEB-INF/lib/jaf-1.0.2/activation.jar

These were the two jar files described in the JavaMail installation
instructions.

Classloading inside of web containers works differently from
classloading in other programs. The we container will usually supply an
isolated classloading environment for each web application.

My recommendation is for you to remove the above entries from the
classpath for the Tomcat instance. Then, place the jars directly in the
WEB-INF/lib directory for the web application (not in subdirectories as
above).

Let us know how it works out.

HTH,
Ray

James Westby

Mikey said:
James,

Thanks for your reply. I have the following in my classpath

/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/webapps/pdf/WEB-INF/lib/javamail-1.3.3_01/mail.jar:/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/webapps/pdf
/WEB-INF/lib/jaf-1.0.2/activation.jar

These were the two jar files described in the JavaMail installation
instructions.

Mike

Hi,

So you have the Jars. That's a good start. It's a good idea to check
that you were at least trying to make them accessible to the servlet.

First you may wish to have a look, here.

http://mindprod.com/Jgloss/runerrormessages.html#NOCLASSDEFFOUNDERROR

It's a long list of the possible causes off this error, scan it and see
if you think any of them might be affecting you.

I have to apologise now as when I said are they on the classpath, I was
being a little naive, as I'm not sure how Tomcat treats classpaths. You
might want to read this, it was certainly informative for me,

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html

It looks like you're trying to use the last classloader listed, WebAppX,
which suggests that the jars go under webapp/WEB-INF/lib/. I'm flaky on
classloaders, and so I'm not sure if they'll lok in subdirectories of
that. I would recommend trying to move the jars directly in to lib/
directory, and see if it works then. Worth a try I think. If it doesn't
work then someone else with a bit more knowledge of Tomcat and
classloaders might be able to help.

Are you using any other external jars in your project?

Have you verified that the jar actually contains the relevant class file
(a long shot).

James

Mikey

Well, I tried a variety of combinations of places to put mail.jar and
activation.jar. The combination that partially worked was to put the
jar files in,

/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/common/lib

and add a path to these jar files in CLASSPATH. However, the compile
couldn't find,

import javax.mail.*;
import javax.mail.internet.*;

unless CLASSPATH also included the path to the directories where I
originally uploaded and installed JavaMail and the Activation software
- which I added to CLASSPATH,

/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/webapps/pdf/WEB-INF/lib/javamail-1.3.3_01/mail.jar

/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/webapps/pdf/WEB-INF/lib/jaf-1.0.2/activation.jar

Now, at least I'm able to create a session.

I took this project over from someone who set up the Tomcat environment
and I don't know why his jar file is where it is or why the CLASSPATH
is configured the way it is. I'm partly just mimicking what he had
done. Hence my confusion.

I'm now getting an error at the next step of setting up the email for
transmitting:

com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 550 5.7.1
<[email protected]>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed
[64.34.194.52]

at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.rcptTo(SMTPTransport.java:992)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:536)

This one I'm going to tackle on my own. There's a lot to learn here.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Mike