javascript dopostback fails

Guest

First, I am not a developer. My company works with a partner. This partner
has a web app that we interact with. All of my systems can connect and login
to this site. When we select an issue link, the system does a "doPostBack"
operation. Some of my systems have no issues and work fine. Others fail and
time out. I have spoke to the developer at our partners company and he
believes that his app is not the culprit. There is no rhyme or reason that I
have been able to identify. I have w2k machines that work and w2k machines
that do not. I have xp pro machines that work and those that do not. It does
not work on w2k3 either. I have tried IE, FireFox and Opera browsers. I have
verified browser security setting between machines that work and those that
do not. Nothing is revealing itself as the cause. I have also tried a new nic
in a machine that did not work and it did not fix the issue. I have done a
fresh install on a system and applied all updates and it still will not work.
It is not isolated to a specific brand of hardware.
What is the nature of the doPostback that would cause it to fail on systems.
What else can I look for or try to resolve this issue.

I look forward to your insight on this issue.

Guest

Without seeing the code there isn't much anyone can do except assure that it
couldn't be a hardware problem.

David Jessee

Basicly, the doPostBack means that the page is posting information back to
the server for some sort of processing. If you network is stable and the
browser can get to the web server, then the problem would be with the code
that was written because the delay is being caused by the way that the
server is handling the posted information.

if its a timeout issue then whatever the server is doing is taking too long
and, basicly, the web server gives up.

Now, if you want to PROVE that his app is the culprit, then you can install
a second ASP.NET app on that server and see if that works or not. The only
one I can think of off of the bat would be the iBuySpy portal that is used
as an example of ASP.NET portal frameworks. if you google it, you should be
able to download it for free and install it. Good luck!