Javascript includes not recognised

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Martin Walke, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Martin Walke

    Martin Walke Guest

    Hi,

    This may seem like a client side problem but....

    I have web pages that are made up of a number of javascript include files as
    well as 'in page' script. They all work fine running locally until I hosted
    them on our IIS server. Then the pages refuse to see nested javascript
    calls.

    e.g.

    Main page contains JS code to call a function to one of the include files (-
    no probs), which in turn wants to call a function in one of the other JS
    include files but falls over with 'object expected' error in the line of
    that call - I assume because it can't fine the function.

    I think it may be something to do with processing order but as these files
    are almost identical to another site that I created (certainly the JS
    include files are and that worked 100%), I'm a bit lost. Any help would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Martin

    Martin Walke, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Martin Walke

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    The problem may be caused because the browser has managed to download all
    included the .js files yet. Instead, it is attempting to call a function in
    a file that it doesn't have yet, generating an error.

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Martin Walke" <> wrote in message
    : Hi,
    :
    : This may seem like a client side problem but....
    :
    : I have web pages that are made up of a number of javascript include files
    as
    : well as 'in page' script. They all work fine running locally until I
    hosted
    : them on our IIS server. Then the pages refuse to see nested javascript
    : calls.
    :
    : e.g.
    :
    : Main page contains JS code to call a function to one of the include files
    (-

    Ken Schaefer, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Martin Walke

    Chris Barber Guest

    Object expected implies that the reference you used is either correct and
    the object doesn't exist (script may have failed to load) or that the
    reference is incorrect (eg. case sensitivity).

    Try putting an alert into the script onload event to see if this pops up
    before an alert at the point at which you call the function. You can also
    use the DOM to check the script load status if you give the script an id
    that you can refer to.

    Make sure you .js files are referenced in the HEAD section of the html - the
    page body shouldn't load until all elements of this section have loaded
    *unless* you specify that a script can be loaded asynchronously.

    Chris.

    Chris Barber, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Martin Walke

    Evertjan. Guest

    Chris Barber wrote on 17 feb 2004 in

    > Make sure you .js files are referenced in the HEAD section of the html
    > - the page body shouldn't load until all elements of this section have
    > loaded *unless* you specify that a script can be loaded
    > asynchronously.

    Or you can ask serverside help.

    replace:

    <script type="text/javascript"
    src ="/js/myjavascript.js">
    </script>

    with:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--#include virtual ="/js/myjavascript.js"-->
    </script>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 17, 2004
  5. Martin Walke

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    But that prevents the browser from caching the page since you are using
    inline javascript.

    The whole point of <script src="/somewhereElse/something.js"
    type="text/javascript"> is to allow the browser to cache the .js files
    reducing the apparent response time of the application.

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    : Chris Barber wrote on 17 feb 2004 in
    : microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    :
    : > Make sure you .js files are referenced in the HEAD section of the html
    : > - the page body shouldn't load until all elements of this section have
    : > loaded *unless* you specify that a script can be loaded
    : > asynchronously.
    : >
    :
    : Or you can ask serverside help.
    :
    : replace:
    :
    : <script type="text/javascript"
    : src ="/js/myjavascript.js">
    : </script>
    :
    :
    : with:
    :
    : <script type="text/javascript">
    : <!--#include virtual ="/js/myjavascript.js"-->
    : </script>
    :
    :
    : --
    : Evertjan.
    : The Netherlands.
    : (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

    Ken Schaefer, Feb 17, 2004
  6. Martin Walke

    MMitchell Guest

    I am having the exact same problem. Brand New win2k install service pack 4 and patches.
    The site works on all other servers, but on the new one the javascript includes are not functioning

    I put alerts in the included files that never fire.

    I tried the virtual includes and I am still getting the problem

    Thank

    ----- Ken Schaefer wrote: ----

    But that prevents the browser from caching the page since you are usin
    inline javascript

    The whole point of <script src="/somewhereElse/something.js
    type="text/javascript"> is to allow the browser to cache the .js file
    reducing the apparent response time of the application

    Cheer
    Ke

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in messag
    : Chris Barber wrote on 17 feb 2004 i
    : microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

    : > Make sure you .js files are referenced in the HEAD section of the htm
    : > - the page body shouldn't load until all elements of this section hav
    : > loaded *unless* you specify that a script can be loade
    : > asynchronously
    :

    MMitchell, Feb 17, 2004
  7. Martin Walke

    Evertjan. Guest

    Ken Schaefer wrote on 17 feb 2004 in
    > The whole point of <script src="/somewhereElse/something.js"
    > type="text/javascript"> is to allow the browser to cache the .js files
    > reducing the apparent response time of the application.

    I don't think that is that important any more even with POTS bandwith.

    A small jpeg is much bigger than the general .js file.

    No, IMHO, the point is to make one .js file usable
    in many different .html's.

    And the serverside include is not possible
    for many clientside only virtual servers.

    And some people think it diminishes the visual exposure
    to simpleminded view-sorcerers.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 17, 2004
  8. Martin Walke

    MMitchell Guest

    More Info: When I do the virtual the alerts fire but the popup menu wont function
    The application is a .net 1.0 app using user controls for the header.

    I have tried if from IE and Safari and both work on all other machines except this one

    Thank

    MMitchell, Feb 17, 2004
  9. Martin Walke

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?TU1pdGNoZWxs?= wrote on 17 feb 2004 in

    > More Info: When I do the virtual the alerts fire but the popup menu
    > wont function. The application is a .net 1.0 app using user controls
    > for the header.

    So you are heavily OT here on this classical ASP NG.

    Please see a dotnet group.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 17, 2004
  10. Martin Walke

    Martin Walke Guest

    Thanks guys.

    All my includes are in the head section, and the offending line is being
    called from the page onLoad routine which I thought was only actioned once
    the page HAD downloaded all its 'bits'. It doesn't do it when using PWS, so
    at least I can carry on testing for the moment but it must be something it
    the timing og page downloads.

    I'll check out the DOM object to see how I can check the script loading -
    any idea of the method?

    In terms of sequence of events when the browser loads a page, is there some
    info somewhere that explains it? I've browsed the web without much luck but
    sometimes it's useful to know what keywords to look for ;-)!

    Thanks again
    Martin

    Martin Walke, Feb 17, 2004
  11. Martin Walke

    Martin Walke Guest

    <<....is to allow the browser to cache the .js files>>
    And for us, in this application, that is important.

    Martin

    Martin Walke, Feb 17, 2004
  12. Martin Walke

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?bW1pdGNoZWxs?= wrote on 17 feb 2004 in

    > Isn't this the IIS General Newsgroup?

    No.

    I suppose that is:

    <microsoft.public.inetserver.iis>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 17, 2004
  13. mmitchell wrote:
    > Isn't this the IIS General Newsgroup?

    No. this is the inetserver.ASP.general group.

    There are a whole bunch of newsgroups devoted to .Net questions. They all
    have the word "dotnet" in their names. E.G.,

    etc.

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Feb 17, 2004
  14. Martin Walke

    Chris Barber Guest

    Use body_onload event - the page onload fires as soon as the page HTML has
    loaded (irrespective of external dependencies).

    Chris.

    Chris Barber, Feb 17, 2004
  15. Martin Walke

    Chris Barber Guest

    and ...

    what the heck is everyone else blithering on about trying to argue about
    client side <script src=""></script> usage - it's one of the cornerstones of
    HTML and I for one use it all the time since even a few small scripts can
    amount to 5-10 seconds delay in page load when not cached. Server-side
    includes belong in server-side code *not* client side HTML.

    So ... Martin, keep with what you have - it is correct - it's obvious that
    its only the calling convention and timing to your included script functions
    that is awry. As a benchmark, I have one heavily interactive web app with 15
    include files totally 200k of javascript between them and not once has a
    body_onload call to one of the functions failed.

    Chris.

    Chris Barber, Feb 17, 2004
  16. Martin Walke

    Martin Walke Guest

    Aha! Thanks Chris.

    Martin Walke, Feb 17, 2004
  17. Martin Walke

    MMitchell Guest

    I got here by microsoft.public.inetserver.iis and found this from Martin's orignal post.

    MMitchell, Feb 17, 2004
  18. Martin Walke

    Chris Barber Guest

    Probably didn't see it on PWS because the load times would have been quick
    enough for the function to be available (caching helps as well).

    Chris.

    Chris Barber, Feb 17, 2004
  19. MMitchell wrote:
    > I got here by microsoft.public.inetserver.iis and found this from
    > Martin's orignal post.

    I'm not sure why you think that is relevant. You have a question about a
    dotnet application. While you may be lucky enough to find somebody here who
    can answer a question about a dotnet application, you can eliminate the luck
    factor by posting to the dotnet newsgroups where the dotnet gurus can be
    found.

    Please do not interpret this as a reprimand: we are simply trying to help
    you maximize your chances of getting a relevant reply.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Feb 17, 2004