Javascript making my CPU Usage go to 100%

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Kevin, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Hi there -

    I know quite little about Javascript, being a "user" rather than an IT
    professional. I thought this might be a good place however, to post
    about this problem. I am hoping someone might be able to help using
    language/instructions that I can follow.

    My computer has a strange quirk in that it practically grinds to a halt
    when confronted with any web page that has JavaScript on it. The
    Windows Task Manager reflects that the CPU is running at 100%. Yahoo!
    Mail causes this problem, as does Match.com searches, as does any
    Javascript-pop up window. The CPU will stay at 100%, and the computer
    excruciatingly sluggish, until all the Javascript-site windows are
    closed.

    Can anyone tell me what might be going wrong here, and how I might be
    able to fix it?

    Thank you very much, Kevin
    Kevin, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Kevin

    Fabian Guest

    Kevin hu kiteb:

    > Hi there -
    >
    > My computer has a strange quirk in that it practically grinds to a
    > halt when confronted with any web page that has JavaScript on it. The
    > Windows Task Manager reflects that the CPU is running at 100%. Yahoo!
    > Mail causes this problem, as does Match.com searches, as does any
    > Javascript-pop up window. The CPU will stay at 100%, and the computer
    > excruciatingly sluggish, until all the Javascript-site windows are
    > closed.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what might be going wrong here, and how I might be
    > able to fix it?

    Have you scanned for viruses, defragged, scandisked, stripped away any
    spyware, removed the 3rd party browser addons and enabled the firewalls?

    Fabian
    Visit my website often and for long periods!
    http://www.lajzar.co.uk
    Fabian, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Kevin

    Evertjan. Guest

    Fabian wrote on 04 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > Kevin hu kiteb:
    >
    >> Hi there -
    >>
    >> My computer has a strange quirk in that it practically grinds to a
    >> halt when confronted with any web page that has JavaScript on it. The
    >> Windows Task Manager reflects that the CPU is running at 100%. Yahoo!
    >> Mail causes this problem, as does Match.com searches, as does any
    >> Javascript-pop up window. The CPU will stay at 100%, and the computer
    >> excruciatingly sluggish, until all the Javascript-site windows are
    >> closed.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me what might be going wrong here, and how I might be
    >> able to fix it?

    > Have you scanned for viruses, defragged, scandisked, stripped away any
    > spyware, removed the 3rd party browser addons and enabled the firewalls?

    Pulling the mains plug is even more effective ;-}

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Nov 4, 2003
  4. [OT] Firewalls (was: Javascript making my CPU Usage go to 100%)

    Fabian wrote:

    > Kevin hu kiteb:
    >> [Weird Windoze behavior assumed to be caused by Yahoo! Mail]

    > Have you scanned for viruses, defragged, scandisked, stripped away any
    > spyware, removed the 3rd party browser addons and enabled the firewalls?

    Since a firewall is a security concept and neither hardware nor software
    alone, it cannot be enabled but only implemented. "Desktop" or "personal
    firewalls" like ZoneAlarm, what you probably mean, are no firewalls, they
    are utter nonsense and spyware at best. Besides, neither a firewall nor
    a "firewall" can protect you *after* the system has been compromised.

    Complete deinstallation and reinstallation of the operating system, a
    minimum clue about possible security leaks to be closed and a more careful
    look on what you are using in the future is the only thing that gets you
    rid of such effects that are described here.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Nov 7, 2003
  5. Re: [OT] Firewalls (was: Javascript making my CPU Usage go to 100%)

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <> writes:

    > "Desktop" or "personal firewalls" like ZoneAlarm, what you probably
    > mean, are no firewalls, they are utter nonsense and spyware at best.

    That is not fair. They might be utter nonsense (but don't judge a
    program by its marketing name, though), and inefficient at best, but
    here are several that I don't believe to be spyware. Since "spyware"
    is probably the worst possible program that doesn't cause actual
    damamge, "spyware at best" sets a very low upper limit.

    The personal (so-called) firewalls do work as intrusion detectors,
    though. If you know how to read their messages :)

    > Besides, neither a firewall nor a "firewall" can protect you *after*
    > the system has been compromised.

    Agree. A compromised system should be wiped and no executable content
    on the compromised machine can be trusted ever again, not even Word
    macros. That is, if you want 100% safety.

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Nov 7, 2003