Javascript menu into IE6

Philippe

Hello,

I'm a newbee into the javascript world and I'm trying to use the
opencube solution to display a complex menu. As I can see, the
opencube solution is javascript 1.2. My menu is working just fine
into opera or netscape but into IE6 if the menu have to appears on a
zone that cover a dropdown list (a simple html <select> tag ) the menu
appears behind the dropdown and not in front of it.

Is there a solution?

Thanks a lot

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Philippe said:
I'm a newbee
^^^
You think of yourself as a kind of insect? ;-)
into the javascript world and I'm trying to use the opencube solution
to display a complex menu. As I can see, the opencube solution is
javascript 1.2.

How do you know?
My menu is working just fine into opera or netscape

Which versions on which platforms? Enter javascript:navigator.userAgent
in the Location Bar.
but into IE6

Which version exactly (see above)? The result of
javascript:ScriptEngine()+"%20"+ScriptEngineMajorVersion()+"."+ScriptEngineMinorVersion()+"."+ScriptEngineBuildVersion()
would be useful as well.
if the menu have to appears on a zone that cover a
dropdown list (a simple html <select> tag ) the menu appears behind
the dropdown and not in front of it.

Reads like you have stumbled upon IE windowed controls.
Is there a solution?

Depends. What is the "opencube solution"?

PointedEars

Richard Cornford

Thomas said:
Philippe schrieb:

How do you know?

OpenCube use - language="Javascirpt1.2" - in their script tags.

Depends. What is the "opencube solution"?

It is a commercial pop-up menu script. And unless they have seriously
revised it in the last 12 months it is a very bad one, which is to say
that it is average for a commercial pop-up menu script. Lots of - eval -
abuse, convoluted javascript data structures for the menu links/text,
browser detection using - navigator.userAgent - and it deals with
supporting the browsers it recognises by downloading one of a range of
JS for each.

Richard.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Richard said:
OpenCube use - language="Javascirpt1.2" - in their script tags.

But this does not mean anything about the version the script code requires.
Depends. What is the "opencube solution"?

It is a commercial pop-up menu script. And unless they have seriously
revised it in the last 12 months it is a very bad one, [...]

As I feared.

PointedEars

Richard Cornford

Thomas said:
Richard Cornford schrieb:

But this does not mean anything about the version the script code
requires.

Sticking - language="JavaScirpt1.2" - into script tags without
understanding why or the implications of doing so is just another of the
amateurish mistakes that characterise the rest of the script. The code
itself clearly has been tested on Netscape 4 and so wastes a lot of
effort jumping through hoops trying to compensate for the unusual
JavaScript 1.2 type-converting rules in addition to normal ECMA 262
behaviour. So probably the code is JavaScript 1.2 but probably not
deliberately so.

Richard.