Javascript on a microsoft page

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Chris Dean, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Chris Dean

    Chris Dean Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I'm not a javascript person myself but want to replicate the javascript at
    the bottom of this page
    on the microsoft website and include it on my website as a quick "was this
    helpful form"

    http://office.microsoft.com/assista...ID=HA010547821033&CTT=6&Origin=EC010553071033

    could someone take a look at this and help out or point me in the direction
    of a download
    you will be creditied for it on our site - I just don't have the time to
    work out how it's done myself unfortunately.

    TIA

    Chris

    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

    Chris Dean, Schools Outreach Project, Vega Science Trust
    University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton. East Sussex. BN1 9QJ. UK.

    Tel.: +44 (0) 1273 87 72 93
    Email:
    Web: www.vega.org.uk

    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

    Chris Dean, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Chris Dean wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm not a javascript person myself but want to replicate the javascript at
    > the bottom of this page
    > on the microsoft website and include it on my website as a quick "was this
    > helpful form"
    >
    > http://office.microsoft.com/assista...ID=HA010547821033&CTT=6&Origin=EC010553071033
    >
    > could someone take a look at this and help out or point me in the direction
    > of a download
    > you will be creditied for it on our site - I just don't have the time to
    > work out how it's done myself unfortunately.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
    >
    > Chris Dean, Schools Outreach Project, Vega Science Trust
    > University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton. East Sussex. BN1 9QJ. UK.
    >
    > Tel.: +44 (0) 1273 87 72 93
    > Email:
    > Web: www.vega.org.uk
    >
    > =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

    When it comes to a "Was This Helpful" function... there is a lot more
    than meets the eye. You can do this without javascript very easily...

    What you really need to have is a server-side handler for if it was
    useful or not. I havent looked at the microsoft site, but I assume they
    are only using Javascript for form checking, and/or form submittal,
    which goes to their server-side application, which stores the results in
    a database, for use in searching, and feedback to the developers.

    Do you have server-side capabilities?

    Brian

    Brian Genisio, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Chris Dean

    Chris Dean Guest

    Yes full serverside capabilities, I am a php coder myself but felt this was
    a nice JS solution that I wanted to use.

    The post submission stuff is no problem at all it's the Javascript form that
    I'm interested in,

    Please take a look at the link I posted to see it - I think it's a little
    unusal if you do a view source on it which is why I need help - not being a
    JS guy myself

    Thanks

    Chris

    Chris Dean, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Chris Dean wrote:

    > Yes full serverside capabilities, I am a php coder myself but felt this was
    > a nice JS solution that I wanted to use.
    >
    > The post submission stuff is no problem at all it's the Javascript form that
    > I'm interested in,
    >
    > Please take a look at the link I posted to see it - I think it's a little
    > unusal if you do a view source on it which is why I need help - not being a
    > JS guy myself
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Chris

    Ok, I took a look. Basically, you have two buttons, each with a callback.

    If you say Yes, it calls a function that uses a hidden IFRAME to send
    the form with a query string, without reloading the page. It basically
    sets the src of the IFRAME to the URL/Query String.

    If you say No, it hides the DIV holding the buttons
    (m_divFeedbackPanel1), and shows a new panel, which is dynamically
    created, with the radio buttons, which then sends the data using the
    same method as if you said Yes.

    As for pulling it out of the MS site, and using it, there are a few
    problems...

    1. It is probably an illegal violation of copyright, and you dont want
    to mess with MS, when it comes to this
    2. It is hard to read
    3. It does more than you want, since it handles other forms as well

    I hope this helps,
    Brian

    Brian Genisio, Mar 3, 2004