Javascript output to database field update

krnl

I have a php/mysql driven website and within is a javascript function
which returns a single number. I would like to be able to use this
return value from the javascript to update a field in my database. I
have read a bit about ajax, but that seems too complicated for what I
want to do. Surely there is a simpler solution that will post the
javascript output back to the server? Can anyone point me in a good
direction?

By the way, the javascript code is not locally accessible by me, it is
being called from another domain, so I cannot make changes to the
script. I have access to all of the PHP/MySQL code and would like to
implement something there that would update the database table with
the output from the javascript.

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide.

Rick