Javascript question

Man-wai Chang

I have a form formABC that has a textbox plus a button. On clicking the
button, window.open() a popup window for user to select a value. The
value will then be passed back to formABC's textbox.

Now I want formABC to submit itself *AFTER* the textbox got a value. How
could I do it?

Evertjan.

Man-wai Chang wrote on 26 apr 2007 in
I have a form formABC that has a textbox plus a button. On clicking the
button, window.open() a popup window for user to select a value. The
value will then be passed back to formABC's textbox.

Now I want formABC to submit itself *AFTER* the textbox got a value. How
could I do it?

1 - Do you think "Javascript question"
is an informative subject line in a Javascript NG?

2 - show your code [the relevant working part, that is]

Evertjan.

Evertjan. wrote on 26 apr 2007 in
Man-wai Chang wrote on 26 apr 2007 in
I have a form formABC that has a textbox plus a button. On clicking
the button, window.open() a popup window for user to select a value.
The value will then be passed back to formABC's textbox.

Now I want formABC to submit itself *AFTER* the textbox got a value.
How could I do it?

1 - Do you think "Javascript question"
is an informative subject line in a Javascript NG?

2 - show your code [the relevant working part, that is]

Sorry, it is not even a javascript NG, but the ASP NG.

3 - is this an ASP related question, and if so why?

Show your code!

Man-wai Chang

Sorry, it is not even a javascript NG, but the ASP NG.
3 - is this an ASP related question, and if so why?

There is no javascript newsgroup in msnews. so I guess ASP people could
answer the question. :)

Man-wai Chang

2 - show your code [the relevant working part, that is]

Thank you first. The textbox:

id="txtItem_no{$xx}"
name="txtItem_no{$xx}"
value="{$dtl_array.$ileft.item_no}"
size="10"
onchange="this.form.submit();" />
onclick="window.open('cnst_141.php?varname=txtItem_no{$xx}',
'cnst_141','width=700,height=550,left=10,top=20');"
class="button">?</a>

My current solution in the popup (cnst_141) window after the selected
value was clicked:

function returnitem(thevarname, thevalue) {
var parentform = window.opener.document;
var thevar = parentform.getElementById(thevarname);
if (thevar) {
thevar.value=thevalue;
thevar.form.submit();
}
window.close();
}

I am wondering whether there is a better way out...

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Man-wai Chang said:
There is no javascript newsgroup in msnews. so I guess ASP people
could answer the question. :)

The closest is m.p.scripting.jscript

You would have a better chance of an answer there, especially once you've
shown them your code.

Evertjan.

Man-wai Chang wrote on 27 apr 2007 in
Subject: Re: Javascript question
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:28:15 +0800

thanks.

however you will miss the wealth of info available on
the much more active NG:

comp.lang.javascript

[and it's FAQ.]

Andrew Murray

What about comp.lang.javascript? - maybe you ISP hosts this group? Or
Google Groups might.

Trevor L.

Andrew said:
What about comp.lang.javascript? - maybe you ISP hosts this group? Or
Google Groups might.

I wish mine would. (It doesn't support any news groups.) I almost feel like
going back to iinet (which of course is a W.A. firm ). If you see my reply
to another post, I woudl like to access news groups other than MS groups
through OE6. And I don't trust Google - will it protect my email address
from spam?
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

Evertjan.

Trevor L. wrote on 28 apr 2007 in
I wish mine would. (It doesn't support any news groups.) I almost feel
like going back to iinet (which of course is a W.A. firm ). If you see
my reply to another post, I woudl like to access news groups other
than MS groups through OE6.

Don't use OE for usenet!

If you are not content with your ISP's news server, use another one.
There are free ones, and there are payed ones.

I use a Dutch payed one of my pre-cable ISP, which also gives me many other
services.
And I don't trust Google - will it protect
my email address from spam?

That, meseems, is your own job.
You could make a seperate address for usenet, if you are paranoid enough.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Evertjan. said:
Trevor L. wrote on 28 apr 2007 in

Don't use OE for usenet!

Personal preference, Evertjian. I have no problem using OE to access
multiple news servers.

Trevor L.

Evertjan. said:
Trevor L. wrote on 28 apr 2007 in

Don't use OE for usenet!

If you are not content with your ISP's news server, use another one.
There are free ones, and there are payed ones.

I use a Dutch payed one of my pre-cable ISP, which also gives me many
other services.

That, meseems, is your own job.
You could make a seperate address for usenet, if you are paranoid
enough.

Hmm,
Thanks, Evertjan

This seems like a losing battle. I ask many questions and get conflicting
answers.

Some queries/comments:
Why should one NOT use OE for Usenet?
What newsgroups are on Usenet?
(e.g. is comp.lang.javascript on Usenet?)
For that matter, what defines/comprises Usenet?
I can't use my ISP's news server. As stated before : It doesn't support any
news groups.
Does any one know of free news servers which will allow read/write
operations (in partcular to c.l.j. but to any specific group for that
matter) AND which will operate inside OE6?
Will Google store my email address in such a way that it is accessible to
spammers? (That is why I said: I don't trust Google)
Should I be paranoid? (After all, something started my 100+ spams a day, and
if Google adds to it, then perhaps I should be right to be so)

Evertjan.

Trevor L. wrote on 29 apr 2007 in
This seems like a losing battle. I ask many questions and get
conflicting answers.

Some queries/comments:
Why should one NOT use OE for Usenet?

Because a dedicated new reader is much more versatile,
as I learn over the years.
What newsgroups are on Usenet?
(e.g. is comp.lang.javascript on Usenet?)

ALL NG's are on usenet per definition.
[Of cource you could call any email list or chatbox a newsgroup,
but that is not the usenet definition.
There seem to be over 70.000 NG's on usenet,
and a good news server carries around 55.000 of them.
For that matter, what defines/comprises Usenet?

Usenet exists since 1979, and is a much older part of the internet than
the web [World Wide Web 1990]

I can't use my ISP's news server. As stated before : It doesn't
support any news groups.

Impossible, because then it wouldn't be a news server.
That is like saying "it only rains her without water droplets".

However perhaps your ISP has no news server?
Does any one know of free news servers which will allow read/write
operations (in partcular to c.l.j. but to any specific group for that
matter)

Probably someone knows, as many use free news servers.

<http://freeusenetnews.com/newspage.html?sortby=votes>
seems to have a list.

Paying a bit for a real good one is a viable alternative.
AND which will operate inside OE6?

News srvers do not operate "inside" OE, OE is just [also] a nes reader,
so all usenet groups should be accessible that are on the server you have
set. [In fact most of us set several servers in theis readers.]
Will Google store my email address in such a way that it is accessible
to spammers? (That is why I said: I don't trust Google)

I answered before, Google groups is not the measure of things, any
intelligent spammer uses usenet itself, not a web interface.
Should I be paranoid? (After all, something started my 100+ spams a
day, and if Google adds to it, then perhaps I should be right to be
so)

You beter ask your shrink if you should. ;-)

You could make a fake emailaddress [stricktly speaking illegal on
usenet], or better a tspecial temporary emailadress [hotmail, etc.], if
you want the readers to be able to contact you

If you are going to use the venerable usenet,
please first read up on Netiquette,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette>
and study the habits and sensitivities of any NG
you want to post on by reading the charter, the optional NG-FAQ,
and a lot of recent postings.

The de facto usenet archive, Dejanews,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejanews>
was bought by Google on February 12, 2001,
and is used for Googles own purpose since than,
doing reasonably well.

I think it is time you did some researh of your own,
as this is not NG [/asp] specific anymore.

Trevor L.

Evertjan
Thanks for your replies

RE
However perhaps your ISP has no news server?
Yes, that is what I mean.
News srvers do not operate "inside" OE, OE is just [also] a nes
reader, so all usenet groups should be accessible that are on the
server you have set. [In fact most of us set several servers in theis
readers.]
OK, I need to rephrase.
OE6 allows access to several news servers. Currently I have
news://msnews.microsoft.com and news://privatenews.microsoft.com
Can I add to this list another news server which has access to
comp.lang.javascript in read/write mode ?
OR do I have to install and use a separate news reader (separate from OE6,
that is)?
I answered before, Google groups is not the measure of things, any
intelligent spammer uses usenet itself, not a web interface.
OK, I think that I understand.
I suppose my query was more along the lines of:
If I store my email in Google, can spammers find it ?
Or does Google have a method of hiding email addresses - using ASP and
captchas, perhaps ?

I think it is time you did some researh of your own,
as this is not NG [/asp] specific anymore.
Yes, I have done a bit of research , but I was just hoping that I could get
some extra info.

This query is certainly not ASP specific, and I have queried other NGs as
well. I will cease this thread and stick with these other NGs while I am
still welcome, but I am coming to the conclusion that I can only access
c.l.j. via Google Groups.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Trevor said:
OE6 allows access to several news servers. Currently I have
news://msnews.microsoft.com and news://privatenews.microsoft.com
Can I add to this list another news server which has access to
comp.lang.javascript in read/write mode ?

Yes. The only task you have is to find one, given that your ISP does not
provide one. Evertjian mentioned several free news servers. There are also
for-fee servers. Just google for "free news servers".
OR do I have to install and use a separate news reader (separate from
OE6, that is)?

No, of course not. Only install something else if you don't like OE6.
I suppose my query was more along the lines of:
If I store my email in Google, can spammers find it ?
Or does Google have a method of hiding email addresses - using ASP and
captchas, perhaps ?

This is something you need to ask the people at Google.
This query is certainly not ASP specific, and I have queried other
NGs as well. I will cease this thread and stick with these other NGs
while I am still welcome, but I am coming to the conclusion that I
can only access c.l.j. via Google Groups.

And I believe that both of us have told you that this is not the case. See
above.