    Expert of ePOS solutions
    Website: http://www.itech.com.hk (IE only)
    Tel: (852)2325 3883 Fax: (852)2325 8288
    Man-wai Chang, Apr 26, 2007

  2. Man-wai Chang

    Evertjan. Guest

    Man-wai Chang wrote on 26 apr 2007 in

    > I have a form formABC that has a textbox plus a button. On clicking the
    > button, window.open() a popup window for user to select a value. The
    > value will then be passed back to formABC's textbox.
    >
    > Now I want formABC to submit itself *AFTER* the textbox got a value. How
    > could I do it?

    1 - Do you think "Javascript question"
    is an informative subject line in a Javascript NG?

    2 - show your code [the relevant working part, that is]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Apr 26, 2007

  3. Man-wai Chang

    Evertjan. Guest

    Evertjan. wrote on 26 apr 2007 in

    > Man-wai Chang wrote on 26 apr 2007 in
    >
    >> I have a form formABC that has a textbox plus a button. On clicking
    >> the button, window.open() a popup window for user to select a value.
    >> The value will then be passed back to formABC's textbox.
    >>
    >> Now I want formABC to submit itself *AFTER* the textbox got a value.
    >> How could I do it?

    > 1 - Do you think "Javascript question"
    > is an informative subject line in a Javascript NG?
    >
    > 2 - show your code [the relevant working part, that is]

    Sorry, it is not even a javascript NG, but the ASP NG.

    3 - is this an ASP related question, and if so why?

    Show your code!

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Apr 26, 2007
  4. > Sorry, it is not even a javascript NG, but the ASP NG.

    > 3 - is this an ASP related question, and if so why?

    There is no javascript newsgroup in msnews. so I guess ASP people could
    answer the question. :)

    --
    iTech Consulting Services Limited
    Man-wai Chang, Apr 26, 2007
  5. > 2 - show your code [the relevant working part, that is]

    Thank you first. The textbox:

    id="txtItem_no{$xx}"
    name="txtItem_no{$xx}"
    value="{$dtl_array.$ileft.item_no}"
    size="10"
    onchange="this.form.submit();" />
    onclick="window.open('cnst_141.php?varname=txtItem_no{$xx}',
    'cnst_141','width=700,height=550,left=10,top=20');"
    class="button">?</a>

    My current solution in the popup (cnst_141) window after the selected
    value was clicked:

    function returnitem(thevarname, thevalue) {
    var parentform = window.opener.document;
    var thevar = parentform.getElementById(thevarname);
    if (thevar) {
    thevar.value=thevalue;
    thevar.form.submit();
    }
    window.close();
    }

    I am wondering whether there is a better way out...

    Man-wai Chang, Apr 26, 2007
  6. Man-wai Chang wrote:
    >> Sorry, it is not even a javascript NG, but the ASP NG.
    >>
    >> 3 - is this an ASP related question, and if so why?

    > There is no javascript newsgroup in msnews. so I guess ASP people
    > could answer the question. :)

    The closest is m.p.scripting.jscript

    You would have a better chance of an answer there, especially once you've
    shown them your code.
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 26, 2007
  7. > The closest is m.p.scripting.jscript

    thanks.

    Man-wai Chang, Apr 27, 2007
  8. Man-wai Chang

    Evertjan. Guest

    Man-wai Chang wrote on 27 apr 2007 in

    > Subject: Re: Javascript question
    > Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:28:15 +0800
    > From: Man-wai Chang <>
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
    >
    >> The closest is m.p.scripting.jscript

    > thanks.

    however you will miss the wealth of info available on
    the much more active NG:

    comp.lang.javascript

    [and it's FAQ.]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Apr 27, 2007
  9. What about comp.lang.javascript? - maybe you ISP hosts this group? Or
    Google Groups might.

    Andrew Murray, Apr 28, 2007
  10. Man-wai Chang

    Trevor L. Guest

    Andrew Murray wrote:
    > What about comp.lang.javascript? - maybe you ISP hosts this group? Or
    > Google Groups might.

    I wish mine would. (It doesn't support any news groups.) I almost feel like
    going back to iinet (which of course is a W.A. firm ). If you see my reply
    to another post, I woudl like to access news groups other than MS groups
    through OE6. And I don't trust Google - will it protect my email address
    from spam?
    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.
    Trevor L., Apr 28, 2007
  11. Man-wai Chang

    Evertjan. Guest

    Trevor L. wrote on 28 apr 2007 in

    > Andrew Murray wrote:
    >> What about comp.lang.javascript? - maybe you ISP hosts this group?
    >> Or Google Groups might.

    > I wish mine would. (It doesn't support any news groups.) I almost feel
    > like going back to iinet (which of course is a W.A. firm ). If you see
    > my reply to another post, I woudl like to access news groups other
    > than MS groups through OE6.

    Don't use OE for usenet!

    If you are not content with your ISP's news server, use another one.
    There are free ones, and there are payed ones.

    I use a Dutch payed one of my pre-cable ISP, which also gives me many other
    services.

    > And I don't trust Google - will it protect
    > my email address from spam?

    That, meseems, is your own job.
    You could make a seperate address for usenet, if you are paranoid enough.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Apr 28, 2007
  12. Evertjan. wrote:
    > Trevor L. wrote on 28 apr 2007 in
    >
    >> Andrew Murray wrote:
    >>> What about comp.lang.javascript? - maybe you ISP hosts this group?
    >>> Or Google Groups might.

    >> I wish mine would. (It doesn't support any news groups.) I almost
    >> feel like going back to iinet (which of course is a W.A. firm ). If
    >> you see
    >> my reply to another post, I woudl like to access news groups other
    >> than MS groups through OE6.

    > Don't use OE for usenet!

    Personal preference, Evertjian. I have no problem using OE to access
    multiple news servers.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 28, 2007
  13. Trevor L. wrote:
    > And I don't trust Google - will it
    > protect my email address from spam?

    Pretty much the same way OE does ...

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 28, 2007
  14. Man-wai Chang

    Trevor L. Guest

    Evertjan. wrote:
    > Trevor L. wrote on 28 apr 2007 in
    >
    >> Andrew Murray wrote:
    >>> What about comp.lang.javascript? - maybe you ISP hosts this group?
    >>> Or Google Groups might.

    >> I wish mine would. (It doesn't support any news groups.) I almost
    >> feel like going back to iinet (which of course is a W.A. firm ). If
    >> you see my reply to another post, I woudl like to access news groups
    >> other than MS groups through OE6.

    > Don't use OE for usenet!
    >
    > If you are not content with your ISP's news server, use another one.
    > There are free ones, and there are payed ones.
    >
    > I use a Dutch payed one of my pre-cable ISP, which also gives me many
    > other services.
    >
    >> And I don't trust Google - will it protect
    >> my email address from spam?

    > That, meseems, is your own job.
    > You could make a seperate address for usenet, if you are paranoid
    > enough.
    >
    > --
    > Evertjan.
    > The Netherlands.

    Hmm,
    Thanks, Evertjan

    This seems like a losing battle. I ask many questions and get conflicting
    answers.

    Some queries/comments:
    Why should one NOT use OE for Usenet?
    What newsgroups are on Usenet?
    (e.g. is comp.lang.javascript on Usenet?)
    For that matter, what defines/comprises Usenet?
    I can't use my ISP's news server. As stated before : It doesn't support any
    news groups.
    Does any one know of free news servers which will allow read/write
    operations (in partcular to c.l.j. but to any specific group for that
    matter) AND which will operate inside OE6?
    Will Google store my email address in such a way that it is accessible to
    spammers? (That is why I said: I don't trust Google)
    Should I be paranoid? (After all, something started my 100+ spams a day, and
    if Google adds to it, then perhaps I should be right to be so)

    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.
    Trevor L., Apr 29, 2007
  15. Man-wai Chang

    Evertjan. Guest

    Usenet, was: Re: Javascript question

    Trevor L. wrote on 29 apr 2007 in

    > This seems like a losing battle. I ask many questions and get
    > conflicting answers.
    >
    > Some queries/comments:
    > Why should one NOT use OE for Usenet?

    Because a dedicated new reader is much more versatile,
    as I learn over the years.

    > What newsgroups are on Usenet?
    > (e.g. is comp.lang.javascript on Usenet?)

    ALL NG's are on usenet per definition.
    [Of cource you could call any email list or chatbox a newsgroup,
    but that is not the usenet definition.
    There seem to be over 70.000 NG's on usenet,
    and a good news server carries around 55.000 of them.

    > For that matter, what defines/comprises Usenet?

    Usenet exists since 1979, and is a much older part of the internet than
    the web [World Wide Web 1990]

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet>

    > I can't use my ISP's news server. As stated before : It doesn't
    > support any news groups.

    Impossible, because then it wouldn't be a news server.
    That is like saying "it only rains her without water droplets".

    However perhaps your ISP has no news server?

    > Does any one know of free news servers which will allow read/write
    > operations (in partcular to c.l.j. but to any specific group for that
    > matter)

    Probably someone knows, as many use free news servers.

    <http://freeusenetnews.com/newspage.html?sortby=votes>
    seems to have a list.

    Paying a bit for a real good one is a viable alternative.

    > AND which will operate inside OE6?

    News srvers do not operate "inside" OE, OE is just [also] a nes reader,
    so all usenet groups should be accessible that are on the server you have
    set. [In fact most of us set several servers in theis readers.]

    > Will Google store my email address in such a way that it is accessible
    > to spammers? (That is why I said: I don't trust Google)

    I answered before, Google groups is not the measure of things, any
    intelligent spammer uses usenet itself, not a web interface.

    > Should I be paranoid? (After all, something started my 100+ spams a
    > day, and if Google adds to it, then perhaps I should be right to be
    > so)

    You beter ask your shrink if you should. ;-)

    You could make a fake emailaddress [stricktly speaking illegal on
    usenet], or better a tspecial temporary emailadress [hotmail, etc.], if
    you want the readers to be able to contact you

    If you are going to use the venerable usenet,
    please first read up on Netiquette,
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette>
    and study the habits and sensitivities of any NG
    you want to post on by reading the charter, the optional NG-FAQ,
    and a lot of recent postings.

    The de facto usenet archive, Dejanews,
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejanews>
    was bought by Google on February 12, 2001,
    and is used for Googles own purpose since than,
    doing reasonably well.

    I think it is time you did some researh of your own,
    as this is not NG [/asp] specific anymore.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Apr 29, 2007
  16. Man-wai Chang

    Trevor L. Guest

    Re: Usenet, was: Re: Javascript question

    Evertjan
    Thanks for your replies

    RE
    > However perhaps your ISP has no news server?

    Yes, that is what I mean.

    > News srvers do not operate "inside" OE, OE is just [also] a nes
    > reader, so all usenet groups should be accessible that are on the
    > server you have set. [In fact most of us set several servers in theis
    > readers.]

    OK, I need to rephrase.
    OE6 allows access to several news servers. Currently I have
    news://msnews.microsoft.com and news://privatenews.microsoft.com
    Can I add to this list another news server which has access to
    comp.lang.javascript in read/write mode ?
    OR do I have to install and use a separate news reader (separate from OE6,
    that is)?

    > I answered before, Google groups is not the measure of things, any
    > intelligent spammer uses usenet itself, not a web interface.

    OK, I think that I understand.
    I suppose my query was more along the lines of:
    If I store my email in Google, can spammers find it ?
    Or does Google have a method of hiding email addresses - using ASP and
    captchas, perhaps ?

    I think it is time you did some researh of your own,
    > as this is not NG [/asp] specific anymore.

    Yes, I have done a bit of research , but I was just hoping that I could get
    some extra info.

    This query is certainly not ASP specific, and I have queried other NGs as
    well. I will cease this thread and stick with these other NGs while I am
    still welcome, but I am coming to the conclusion that I can only access
    c.l.j. via Google Groups.
    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.
    Trevor L., Apr 30, 2007
  17. Re: Usenet, was: Re: Javascript question

    Trevor L. wrote:
    > OE6 allows access to several news servers. Currently I have
    > news://msnews.microsoft.com and news://privatenews.microsoft.com
    > Can I add to this list another news server which has access to
    > comp.lang.javascript in read/write mode ?

    Yes. The only task you have is to find one, given that your ISP does not
    provide one. Evertjian mentioned several free news servers. There are also
    for-fee servers. Just google for "free news servers".

    > OR do I have to install and use a separate news reader (separate from
    > OE6, that is)?

    No, of course not. Only install something else if you don't like OE6.

    > I suppose my query was more along the lines of:
    > If I store my email in Google, can spammers find it ?
    > Or does Google have a method of hiding email addresses - using ASP and
    > captchas, perhaps ?

    This is something you need to ask the people at Google.

    > This query is certainly not ASP specific, and I have queried other
    > NGs as well. I will cease this thread and stick with these other NGs
    > while I am still welcome, but I am coming to the conclusion that I
    > can only access c.l.j. via Google Groups.

    And I believe that both of us have told you that this is not the case. See
    above.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 30, 2007
  18. Man-wai Chang

    Trevor L. Guest

    Re: Usenet, was: Re: Javascript question

    Thanks, Bob

    I will address "The only task you have is to find one"
    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.
    Trevor L., Apr 30, 2007