    anybody had any comments on the site in general.

    Thanks!
    Tom McCarthy

    Thomas McCarthy, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Thomas McCarthy wrote:
    > Hi! I am keeping my portfolio at Http://www.lambelly.com. This is a
    > site utilizing PHP templates. My question is this: I could think of
    > no good way of linking the index.html page to the php templates other
    > than using a javascript redirect. In theory, this could cause
    > problems in some browsers,

    nearly right: in practice some visitors will get a blank screen

    > however. I was wondering if anyone had any
    > better ideas about how to do this in a more failsafe way,

    actually using the home/index page would work well
    configure the server to deliver your real home-page
    permanent redirect is next favourite
    meta refresh may provide some fall-back
    placing a link on the page is mandatory in case all others fail.

    > or if
    > anybody had any comments on the site in general.

    nice background

    --
    William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jul 17, 2003

  3. On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:38:05 -0400, Thomas McCarthy wrote:

    > Hi! I am keeping my portfolio at Http://www.lambelly.com. This is a site
    > utilizing PHP templates. My question is this: I could think of no good way
    > of linking the index.html page to the php templates other than using a
    > javascript redirect.

    Firstly, not answering your question, but take a look at:

    http://www.lambelly.com/template.php

    It is a good idea to have a fall-back page if ?include=something is
    missing! Probably you should set '?include=home' if none is given.

    Now, on to your question. Create a plain text file called '.htaccess'
    (note: the leading dot is important!)

    It should have one line of text:

    DirectoryIndex template.php?include=home

    This specifies a 'default page'.

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Thanks! Those are all really good tips

    Thomas McCarthy, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Thomas McCarthy

    AndyEd Guest

    "Thomas McCarthy" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > My question is this: I could think of no good way
    > of linking the index.html page to the php templates other than using a
    > javascript redirect. In theory, this could cause problems in some

    If you do stick with a javascript redirect, look into
    document.location.replace(url) instead of setting document.location
    directly.

    This prevents the first page from being entered into history.

    hth,
    Andy Edmonds
    Uzilla LLC. "Tools for a Usable Web"
    http://www.uzilla.net