JavaScript refresh: <a href="#" onClick="window.location.reload( true );">Reload</a>

Karl Core

Joshua Beall said:
If I was writing this app from scratch, then yes. What I am actually
doing is adding a small component to an existing JS editor, and it already
is IE specific.

Just for the record, here's what I am working on:
http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/ - I am using v2.0.3

I would like to use v3.0, which works in Mozilla as well as IE, but I've
had it crash the browser more than once. I'll have to wait for it to get
a little more stable.

That HTMLArea tool produces the most disgusting, bloated, horrendous markup
this side of FrontPage.
One of my subcontractors tried installing that on a site we were building
and we looked into the markup produced and it was horrid.

-Karl

Jeffrey Silverman

If I was writing this app from scratch, then yes. What I am actually doing
is adding a small component to an existing JS editor, and it already is IE
specific.

Just for the record, here's what I am working on:
http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/ - I am using v2.0.3

I would like to use v3.0, which works in Mozilla as well as IE, but I've had
it crash the browser more than once. I'll have to wait for it to get a
little more stable.

-Josh

Ah, I see.

I don't know if it is an option for you, but try Hardcore Internet's Web
Editor:

http://editor.hardcoreinternet.co.uk/

It is great. Really. At least as far as WYSIWYG HTML Textarea replacement
widgets go. I tried several others (all Java-based, to avoid MSIE-only
solutions) and this was my favorite by far. It works in basically all
modern browsers and is not Java based.

Joshua Beall

Jeffrey Silverman said:
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:21:35 +0000, Joshua Beall wrote:
I don't know if it is an option for you, but try Hardcore Internet's Web
Editor:

http://editor.hardcoreinternet.co.uk/

It is great. Really. At least as far as WYSIWYG HTML Textarea replacement
widgets go. I tried several others (all Java-based, to avoid MSIE-only
solutions) and this was my favorite by far. It works in basically all
modern browsers and is not Java based.

Interesting. Looks good, but not free - I'd really like to go with
something open source, or at least freely distributable. This is only a
small part of yet another CMS that I am building, and I would like to be
able to pass it on to others without saying "oh, and if you want the WYSIWIG
editor, you'll need to go buy a license."

I've thought about writing my own from scratch in Java, but I just don't
have the time. If you know of anything better than htmlarea that is
opensource, please let me know.

-Josh

Jeffrey Silverman

I've thought about writing my own from scratch in Java, but I just don't
have the time. If you know of anything better than htmlarea that is
opensource, please let me know.

No, I don't. That's why I bought the Hardcore Internet widget.

Karl Core

Jeffrey Silverman said:
No, I don't. That's why I bought the Hardcore Internet widget.

How's that working out for ya, Jeffrey?
What's the quality of markup it produces?

-Karl

Jeffrey Silverman

How's that working out for ya, Jeffrey?
What's the quality of markup it produces?

-Karl

I like it, but truly, markup quality is not at the top of my list of
required features in a WYSIWYG browser widget. It's important, but just
not the most important for me.

I think the markup looks pretty good, though. Here's what I like about it:

1) works well in both *major* browser engines. MSIE and Gecko-based.

2) The company was responsive. They fixed a problem for me in their demo
-- quickly -- even before I bnought the thing.

3) Highly (and I do mean highly) configurable. Buttons, placement of
them, lists of pre-filled links, and lots of other stuff.

4) PHP (or ASP or JSP) code included for even more detailed configuration
and custom tweaking, if you've got the skillz.

5) JS code included for even ... well, same as #4.

6) HTML output is really quite good. For a WYSIWYG editor.

7) Not java-based so it starts *fast* and needs no additional plug in.

8) Not ActiveX based so it will work on Linux (or Mac (I think)) or any
MSIE or Gecko based browser.

9) Other reasons, the details which elude me now, especially since Baby Q
just pooped himself. Gotta go.

The only thing I don't like is the company's name "Hardcore Internet" --
sounds like a pr0n company. But they are English, if you like that sort
of thing.

later...<slinks off to wipe Baby Q's behind>

Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Joshua Beall said:
Hi All,

I am using

And I thought it would cause the page to refresh. No go. Any pointers?

Sincerely,
-Josh

If you need Refresh button during development to refresh Javascripts on changes, I probably can suggest a solution:

Create a dummy html page, reference all required javascripts in it. Put the page on the server, open it in the browser. Now you have the Refresh button. And it updates cached scripts.

Thanks, Andrei.