JavaScript version

RobG

A friend of mine was trying to use a Java application over the web but
couldn't get it working. The following reply was sent:

"Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS), which hosts the Web Parts that
we've developed, provides a rich set of services to those Web Parts
both on the server and on the browser through client-side
JavaScript. In this case, WSS has determined that the client-side
JavaScript is not compatible with your browser, preventing our Web
Parts from running."

Now it seems to me that JavaScript can't determine what the local JS
version is, nor can it tell what the local version of Java is.

Am I right? Or does MS allow detection via some IE interface that
other browsers don't implement? This could cost me a beer or two...

Martin Honnen

RobG wrote:

"Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS), which hosts the Web Parts that
we've developed, provides a rich set of services to those Web Parts
both on the server and on the browser through client-side
JavaScript. In this case, WSS has determined that the client-side
JavaScript is not compatible with your browser, preventing our Web
Parts from running."

Now it seems to me that JavaScript can't determine what the local JS
version is, nor can it tell what the local version of Java is.

That message doesn't say anything about a particular version of
JavaScript, it simply says "that the client-side JavaScript is not
compatible with your browser" so maybe they do
if (document.all) {
else {
// output message
}
or some other checks of objects to determine whether they thing the
browser can handle their script.