JavaService - need help (please!)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Edward E. Sandfort, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. This is making me nuts. Hopefully someone out there can get me pointed
    in the right direction...

    I'm playing with the program JavaService
    http://www.alexandriasc.com/software/JavaService/index.html and trying
    to install a simple java program as a service on a Windows 2000
    machine. I install the service as follows:

    JavaService -install TestServ C:\Program
    Files\Java\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -Djava.class.path=C:\h\eiapm.jar
    -start mil.mcs.AutoPostServer

    The class AutoPostServer, in package mil.mcs, does indeed exist, and has
    a main class and all that. The class is definitely found in eiapm.jar.
    The service installs without complaining, but when I try to start it up,
    it fails. Viewing the event log give me the message:

    "Could not find the service start class."

    I've tried everything I can think of at this point, without success.
    I'd appreciate any help I can get. If possible, please email your

    Thanks in advance

    Ed Sandfort
    Edward E. Sandfort, Jul 1, 2003

  2. Edward E. Sandfort

    Wendy S Guest

    "Edward E. Sandfort" <> wrote
    > JavaService -install TestServ C:\Program
    > Files\Java\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -Djava.class.path=C:\h\eiapm.jar
    > -start mil.mcs.AutoPostServer
    >
    > The class AutoPostServer, in package mil.mcs, does indeed exist, and has
    > a main class and all that. The class is definitely found in eiapm.jar.
    > > The service installs without complaining, but when I try to start it up,
    > > it fails. Viewing the event log give me the message:

    How do you 'try to start it up'? Does THAT process have the correct
    classpath set?

    --
    Wendy in Chandler, AZ
    Wendy S, Jul 1, 2003

  3. "Edward E. Sandfort" wrote:

    > This is making me nuts. Hopefully someone out there can get me pointed
    > in the right direction...
    >
    > I'm playing with the program JavaService
    > http://www.alexandriasc.com/software/JavaService/index.html and trying
    > to install a simple java program as a service on a Windows 2000
    > machine. I install the service as follows:
    >
    > JavaService -install TestServ C:\Program
    > Files\Java\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -Djava.class.path=C:\h\eiapm.jar
    > -start mil.mcs.AutoPostServer

    Put quotation marks around the path to jvm.dll. The command line doesn't
    like spaces in path names.

    Bye, Wolfgang
    --
    Wolfgang Kless
    INA-Schaeffler KG, Industriestrasse 1-3
    Wolfgang Kless, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Edward E. Sandfort

    E Sandfort Guest

    thanks for the responses.

    Wendy - I am trying to start the process by finding it in the Windows
    Services program (from Control Panel), choosing the service I
    installed, and trying to start it from there.

    Wolfgang - I do not believe that is the problem at all. I'm fairly
    confident that JavaService is indeed loading the JVM I specify. If I
    change my JVM path to something invalid, I will get an error message
    when starting the service which indicates that the "Java Virtual
    Machine could not be loaded". Since I am not getting this message, I
    believe my problem is something else.

    Any more ideas?

    Thanks!

    Ed Sandfort