JavaService - need help (please!)

Edward E. Sandfort

This is making me nuts. Hopefully someone out there can get me pointed
in the right direction...

I'm playing with the program JavaService
http://www.alexandriasc.com/software/JavaService/index.html and trying
to install a simple java program as a service on a Windows 2000
machine. I install the service as follows:

JavaService -install TestServ C:\Program
Files\Java\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -Djava.class.path=C:\h\eiapm.jar
-start mil.mcs.AutoPostServer

The class AutoPostServer, in package mil.mcs, does indeed exist, and has
a main class and all that. The class is definitely found in eiapm.jar.
The service installs without complaining, but when I try to start it up,
it fails. Viewing the event log give me the message:

"Could not find the service start class."

I've tried everything I can think of at this point, without success.
I'd appreciate any help I can get. If possible, please email your

Thanks in advance

Ed Sandfort

Wendy S

Edward E. Sandfort said:
JavaService -install TestServ C:\Program
Files\Java\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -Djava.class.path=C:\h\eiapm.jar
-start mil.mcs.AutoPostServer

The class AutoPostServer, in package mil.mcs, does indeed exist, and has
a main class and all that. The class is definitely found in eiapm.jar.

How do you 'try to start it up'? Does THAT process have the correct
classpath set?

Wolfgang Kless

Edward E. Sandfort said:
This is making me nuts. Hopefully someone out there can get me pointed
in the right direction...

I'm playing with the program JavaService
http://www.alexandriasc.com/software/JavaService/index.html and trying
to install a simple java program as a service on a Windows 2000
machine. I install the service as follows:

JavaService -install TestServ C:\Program
Files\Java\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -Djava.class.path=C:\h\eiapm.jar
-start mil.mcs.AutoPostServer

Put quotation marks around the path to jvm.dll. The command line doesn't
like spaces in path names.

Bye, Wolfgang

E Sandfort

thanks for the responses.

Wendy - I am trying to start the process by finding it in the Windows
Services program (from Control Panel), choosing the service I
installed, and trying to start it from there.

Wolfgang - I do not believe that is the problem at all. I'm fairly
confident that JavaService is indeed loading the JVM I specify. If I
change my JVM path to something invalid, I will get an error message
when starting the service which indicates that the "Java Virtual
Machine could not be loaded". Since I am not getting this message, I
believe my problem is something else.

Any more ideas?

Thanks!

Ed Sandfort