JBoss 3.2.3 hanging - 100% CPU usage

Rod

Hello all,

I am having a bit of a strange problem using JBoss 3.2.3 where the
server will hang for a considerable amount of time with the CPU usage
sitting at 100% before continuing as normal.

Before I explain the problem, here is an outline of the general control
flow of the (web) application:

Struts Form -> Struts Action Class -> Delegate Class -> EJB -> Worker
Class -> DAO

The problem is occuring when the Worker Class throws a user defined
exception which is caught by the EJB which in turn generates an
EJBException to force transaction rollback. The Delegate Class catches
this as a RemoteException and rethrows as a (user defined)
UnexpectedException. This is caught in the Struts Action Class which
then sets the Error field on the Struts Form for display to the end
user.

When this happens for the first time, everything seems to work fine as
it should and an appropriate error is displayed on the client browser.
However, if you repeat the operation, JBoss will hang with the CPU
usage sitting at 100% for about 7 minutes.

I have included some DEBUG output displayed on the JBoss console to
illustrate this:

10:04:13,880 DEBUG [RequestProcessor] Populating bean properties from
this request
10:11:48,974 DEBUG [RequestProcessor] Validating input form properties

10:13:59,193 DEBUG [RequestProcessor] Populating bean properties from
this request
10:20:23,083 DEBUG [RequestProcessor] Validating input form properties

I have tried this on Solaris 9, Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines
and have had the same problem with all. I have also tried a later
version of JBoss (3.2.7) but the problem is still there so I am
assuming that it is a problem with the code or configuration.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rod