jdk 1.4 StackoverFlowError

tarun

Hi ,
I have a heavy GUI apps that works fine on jdk 1.3 . But when running
it uding jdk 1.4 , it gives stackOverFlowError. why is that so ????

Thanks
Tarun

Thomas Weidenfeller

tarun said:
Hi ,
I have a heavy GUI apps that works fine on jdk 1.3 . But when running
it uding jdk 1.4 , it gives stackOverFlowError. why is that so ????

Because there is a bug in either your code, or the JDK/JRE, or some
interface specification changed.

Check Sun's bug parade and seriously consider using a debugger to find
out (in case you have never worked with a debugger, ask for help in
comp.lang.java.help).

Also consider reading http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

/Thomas

Chris Berg

Hi ,
I have a heavy GUI apps that works fine on jdk 1.3 . But when running
it uding jdk 1.4 , it gives stackOverFlowError. why is that so ????

Thanks
Tarun

2 possibilities I can come up with:

1)
For some reason, your app goes into an infinite recursive loop. This
is by far the most common cause of stack overflow. This may happen
somewhere in the Component / Pier environment that may have been
changed. (read: you made a conceptual error that went well under 1.3,
but whose consequences shows up under 1.4)

2)
Your app went right under the limit of stack usage for a thread, and
under 1.4 a bit more memory is used, thus creating overflow. Try to
play with the -Xms command-line option.

Chris

Chris Uppal

Chris said:
Your app went right under the limit of stack usage for a thread, and
under 1.4 a bit more memory is used, thus creating overflow.

I think the default per-thread stack sizes were reduced between 1.3 and 1.4 as
well.

-- chris