do Firefox and chrome support JDK 7 U 10 for applets? Unable to runapplets

Nasser M. Abbasi

After spending 5 hrs on this, I give up.

I can't run any applet in Firefox nor in chrome.

Each time I try, browser tells me a plugin in missing
and sends me back to install jdk 7 u10, which I do, and
the same thing happens. Going in a cycle.

Just wanted to find out if there are any issues with this.

I can run applet in IE 9.0, which is strange. But not in firefox
and not in chrome.

Here is my setup:
windows 7, SP1, 64 bit OS. Tried Firefox 18.0 (latest)
and chrome (latest)

I made sure that the 32 bit JDK is installed

jdk-7u10-windows-i586.exe

I tried many things. I uninstalled all java, rebooted, installed
the above again. Closed all the browser, start again. Each time,
the same thing happens, the browser tells me I am missing
a plugin when I try to run an applet, and it sends me back oracle
web site to download and install JRE 1.7 u10, which I do have
already installed:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_10
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7

I go inside Firefox tools-addons, and I see it is enabled. it says

"java deployment toolkit 10.10.2.18 7.0.100.18
NPRuntime script plugin library for Java deploy)
last updated wed January 9 213."

and it is enabled.

I also tried JDK 7 u10 64 bit,

jdk-7u10-windows-x64.exe

and also the same problem. rebooted, everything, keep getting
the missing plugin error from Firefox and Chrome.

So I have no idea what to try next. Chrome same problem. Will not
run any applets, keep sending me to install the same JDK.

What should I try next? if you like more information, please let me
know.

thanks,
--Nasser

Roedy Green

I can't run any applet in Firefox nor in chrome.

Each time I try, browser tells me a plugin in missing
and sends me back to install jdk 7 u10, which I do, and
the same thing happens. Going in a cycle.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/chrome.html

For Chrome, you have to get your java from a special URL. Once you
have installed it, you can thereafter get it from Oracle.

Firefox requires a 32-bit not 64-bit Java. Try installing a 32- bit
JRE and Firefox should take off.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html

u10 has an insane new security rules that stop unsigned Applets from
working. You must go into the Java Control panel (in the control panel
under programs) and set security low.

Roedy Green

I can't run any applet in Firefox nor in chrome.

look on the Firefox plugins page. You should see

Java deployment toolkit 7.0.100.18 10.10.2.18

It should be enabled (i.e. should see a disable button)

You should also see:

Java Platform SE 7 U10 10.10.2.18

When you installed your JDK, you should also install a JRE on C:

Nasser M. Abbasi

I get

"Not Found
The requested URL /jgloss/chrome.html was not found on this server."

When I vist the above link.

I got the jre from the link the browser itself send me to.

For Chrome, you have to get your java from a special URL. Once you
have installed it, you can thereafter get it from Oracle.

I do not understand. What do you meanby

"Once you have installed it, you can thereafter get it from Oracle"

?
Firefox requires a 32-bit not 64-bit Java. Try installing a 32- bit
JRE and Firefox should take off.

I did. Please read the post I have where I said so.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html

u10 has an insane new security rules that stop unsigned Applets from
working. You must go into the Java Control panel (in the control panel
under programs) and set security low.

I just did. I lowered it to low, clicked ok. Started Firefox, NO difference.
Firefox and Chorom say plugin is needed and Java is needed. I am
trying to run the official applets that part of the demo in JDK such as

/jdk-7u10-windows-i586-demos/jdk1.7.0_10/demo/applets/Clock/example1.html

If you think of anything else to try please suggest.

thanks,
--Nasser

Nasser M. Abbasi

look on the Firefox plugins page. You should see

Java deployment toolkit 7.0.100.18 10.10.2.18

I did, and I mentioned that in my post.
It should be enabled (i.e. should see a disable button)

It is enabled.
You should also see:

Java Platform SE 7 U10 10.10.2.18

When you installed your JDK, you should also install a JRE on C:

It is. I followed the installation instructions. I posted
the location of in in my post, it is on the C drive. Please
see my post.

thanks
--Nasser

Nasser M. Abbasi

another data point:

Only IE browser will load and run applets. In theJava console I see

Java Plug-in 10.10.2.18
Using JRE version 1.7.0_10-b18 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Users\me

when I click on html with applet in it. and they run fine.
but on the same PC, firefox nor chrome see that Java in
installed. Same PC. Home PC. Nothing special. windows 7, 64 bit,
32 bit JDK 7 U 10. Downloaded from official oracle site, rebooted,
etc..etc...