do Firefox and chrome support JDK 7 U 10 for applets? Unable to runapplets

Discussion in 'Java' started by Nasser M. Abbasi, Jan 9, 2013.

  1. After spending 5 hrs on this, I give up.

    I can't run any applet in Firefox nor in chrome.

    Each time I try, browser tells me a plugin in missing
    and sends me back to install jdk 7 u10, which I do, and
    the same thing happens. Going in a cycle.

    Just wanted to find out if there are any issues with this.

    I can run applet in IE 9.0, which is strange. But not in firefox
    and not in chrome.

    Here is my setup:
    windows 7, SP1, 64 bit OS. Tried Firefox 18.0 (latest)
    and chrome (latest)

    I made sure that the 32 bit JDK is installed

    jdk-7u10-windows-i586.exe

    I tried many things. I uninstalled all java, rebooted, installed
    the above again. Closed all the browser, start again. Each time,
    the same thing happens, the browser tells me I am missing
    a plugin when I try to run an applet, and it sends me back oracle
    web site to download and install JRE 1.7 u10, which I do have
    already installed:

    C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_10
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7

    I go inside Firefox tools-addons, and I see it is enabled. it says

    "java deployment toolkit 10.10.2.18 7.0.100.18
    NPRuntime script plugin library for Java deploy)
    last updated wed January 9 213."

    and it is enabled.

    I also tried JDK 7 u10 64 bit,

    jdk-7u10-windows-x64.exe

    and also the same problem. rebooted, everything, keep getting
    the missing plugin error from Firefox and Chrome.

    So I have no idea what to try next. Chrome same problem. Will not
    run any applets, keep sending me to install the same JDK.

    What should I try next? if you like more information, please let me
    know.

    thanks,
    --Nasser

    Nasser M. Abbasi, Jan 9, 2013

  2. Re: do Firefox and chrome support JDK 7 U 10 for applets? Unableto run applets

    fyi, In the control panel, in the Java 32 icon, it says:

    -------------------
    platform: 1.7
    product: 1.7.0_10
    locationL: http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se
    path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe
    enabled: true
    ---------------------------------

    Security is medium
    and enable java content in browser is checked on

    Nasser M. Abbasi, Jan 9, 2013

  3. Nasser M. Abbasi

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: do Firefox and chrome support JDK 7 U 10 for applets? Unable to run applets

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 03:56:21 -0600, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <>

    >I can't run any applet in Firefox nor in chrome.
    >
    >Each time I try, browser tells me a plugin in missing
    >and sends me back to install jdk 7 u10, which I do, and
    >the same thing happens. Going in a cycle.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/chrome.html

    For Chrome, you have to get your java from a special URL. Once you
    have installed it, you can thereafter get it from Oracle.

    Firefox requires a 32-bit not 64-bit Java. Try installing a 32- bit
    JRE and Firefox should take off.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html

    u10 has an insane new security rules that stop unsigned Applets from
    working. You must go into the Java Control panel (in the control panel
    under programs) and set security low.

    Roedy Green, Jan 9, 2013
  4. Nasser M. Abbasi

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: do Firefox and chrome support JDK 7 U 10 for applets? Unable to run applets

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 03:56:21 -0600, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <>

    >I can't run any applet in Firefox nor in chrome.

    look on the Firefox plugins page. You should see

    Java deployment toolkit 7.0.100.18 10.10.2.18

    It should be enabled (i.e. should see a disable button)

    You should also see:

    Java Platform SE 7 U10 10.10.2.18

    When you installed your JDK, you should also install a JRE on C:

    Roedy Green, Jan 9, 2013
  5. Re: do Firefox and chrome support JDK 7 U 10 for applets? Unableto run applets

    On 1/9/2013 12:54 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 03:56:21 -0600, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <>
    >
    >> I can't run any applet in Firefox nor in chrome.
    >>
    >> Each time I try, browser tells me a plugin in missing
    >> and sends me back to install jdk 7 u10, which I do, and
    >> the same thing happens. Going in a cycle.

    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/chrome.html

    I get

    "Not Found
    The requested URL /jgloss/chrome.html was not found on this server."

    When I vist the above link.

    I got the jre from the link the browser itself send me to.

    > For Chrome, you have to get your java from a special URL. Once you
    > have installed it, you can thereafter get it from Oracle.

    I do not understand. What do you meanby

    "Once you have installed it, you can thereafter get it from Oracle"

    ?

    > Firefox requires a 32-bit not 64-bit Java. Try installing a 32- bit
    > JRE and Firefox should take off.

    I did. Please read the post I have where I said so.

    > See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html
    >
    > u10 has an insane new security rules that stop unsigned Applets from
    > working. You must go into the Java Control panel (in the control panel
    > under programs) and set security low.

    I just did. I lowered it to low, clicked ok. Started Firefox, NO difference.
    Firefox and Chorom say plugin is needed and Java is needed. I am
    trying to run the official applets that part of the demo in JDK such as

    /jdk-7u10-windows-i586-demos/jdk1.7.0_10/demo/applets/Clock/example1.html

    If you think of anything else to try please suggest.

    thanks,
    --Nasser

    Nasser M. Abbasi, Jan 9, 2013
  6. Re: do Firefox and chrome support JDK 7 U 10 for applets? Unableto run applets

    On 1/9/2013 12:59 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 03:56:21 -0600, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <>
    >
    >> I can't run any applet in Firefox nor in chrome.

    > look on the Firefox plugins page. You should see
    >
    > Java deployment toolkit 7.0.100.18 10.10.2.18

    I did, and I mentioned that in my post.

    > It should be enabled (i.e. should see a disable button)

    It is enabled.

    > You should also see:
    >
    > Java Platform SE 7 U10 10.10.2.18
    >
    > When you installed your JDK, you should also install a JRE on C:

    It is. I followed the installation instructions. I posted
    the location of in in my post, it is on the C drive. Please
    see my post.

    thanks
    --Nasser

    Nasser M. Abbasi, Jan 9, 2013
  7. Re: do Firefox and chrome support JDK 7 U 10 for applets? Unableto run applets

    another data point:

    Only IE browser will load and run applets. In theJava console I see

    Java Plug-in 10.10.2.18
    Using JRE version 1.7.0_10-b18 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
    User home directory = C:\Users\me

    when I click on html with applet in it. and they run fine.
    but on the same PC, firefox nor chrome see that Java in
    installed. Same PC. Home PC. Nothing special. windows 7, 64 bit,
    32 bit JDK 7 U 10. Downloaded from official oracle site, rebooted,
    etc..etc...

    Nasser M. Abbasi, Jan 9, 2013
  8. Nasser M. Abbasi

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 1/9/2013 4:56 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
    > After spending 5 hrs on this, I give up.
    >
    > I can't run any applet in Firefox nor in chrome.
    > [...]

    Consider yourself lucky (and disable Java in IE, too):

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/10/java_0day/

    --
    Eric Sosman

    Eric Sosman, Jan 10, 2013
  9. Nasser M. Abbasi

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: do Firefox and chrome support JDK 7 U 10 for applets? Unable to run applets

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:25:04 -0600, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <>

    >> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/chrome.html
    >>

    >I get
    >
    >"Not Found

    oops

    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/googlechrome.html

    Roedy Green, Jan 10, 2013
  10. Nasser M. Abbasi

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: do Firefox and chrome support JDK 7 U 10 for applets? Unable to run applets

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:27:08 -0600, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <>

    >I did, and I mentioned that in my post.

    This is not a private help service. This is a public forum. I am not
    answering just for your benefit. I am answering for people who may
    have problems similar to yours. Please see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsgroups.html#GIFTHORSE

    Roedy Green, Jan 10, 2013