JDK 1.5 and J2EE?

John English

I have bravely set up JDK 1.5 on one of my systems, which works a
treat. The trouble I'm having is with using it for J2EE applications.
I've tried dropping j2ee.jar into lib/ext so I can get at Servlet
and so on, but then I get another problem...

I use TransformerFactory.newInstance(), and I get a "class not found"
exception for org.apache.whatever.Transformer (which JDK 1.4 used)
rather than com.sun.org.apache.whatever (as per JDK 1.5). I presume
that the TransformerFactory is coming from j2ee.jar rather than the
1.5 library for this to happen...?

So: I want to be able to rebuild (and improve!) a load of code using
1.5, and I can do this for most things; servlets recompile fine, as
do various other apps, but I seem to have a choice between leaving
all my servlets on 1.4 (and removing j2ee.jar from 1.5) or leaving
my XML stuff on 1.4 (which I don't want to do, because I want some
of the 1.5 enhancements).

Any suggestions? Am I being stupid again?

John English | mailto:[email protected]
Senior Lecturer | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
School of Computing & MIS | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
University of Brighton | -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk