Why is jvmdi.h missing from IBM's 1.5 JDK?

brian.bothwell

Hi, we recently started up development using Resin (resin-pro-3.0.18),
and wanted to use IBM's 1.5 JDK due to its increased performance over
the Sun JDK (I confirmed this with simple benchmarks
myself). However, I am unable to get Resin to compile with IBM's JDK
(ibm-java2-i386-sdk-5.0-1.0) due to some missing JNI library files.

The error with make is:

jni_vfs.c:81:19: error: jvmdi.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [jni_vfs.o] Error 1

The IBM JDK include files are here:

/opt/ibm/java2-i386-50/include/:
jawt.h jawt_md.h jdwpTransport.h jni.h jniport.h jvmpi.h jvmras.h
jvmri.h jvmti.h linux

/opt/ibm/java2-i386-50/include/linux:
jawt.h jawt_md.h jdwpTransport.h jni.h jniport.h jvmpi.h jvmras.h
jvmri.h jvmti.h linux

Note that the jvmdi.h is missing. I installed and configured the Sun
1.5 JDK, and it has the missing file:

/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_06/include/:
jawt.h jdwpTransport.h jni.h jvmdi.h jvmpi.h jvmti.h linux

/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_06/include/linux:
jawt_md.h jni_md.h

I am not sure why IBM doesn't include this file in their 1.5 JDK (they
include it with their older JDKs, inclusing 1.3 and 1.4)

I was able to get the JNI modules to compile in Resin by linking to the
Sun JDK files, but I wasn't sure if this was a good idea to run Resin
under one JDK when it was compiled against another. I also didn't want
to copy over the missing jvmdi.h from another JDK, as this might lead
other problems.