JDOM and SVG fonts

Tom

I use a Java application based on JDOM which creates a SVG file with
embedded fonts. The application uses a small predefined SVG font
library (some files with SVG fonts). When the application generated a
new SVG it search the font library for the needed fonts and insert them
as needed into the new SVG. There are only glyphs added which really
occure in the new SVG. Following is a snippet from such a SVG font
file:

<glyph unicode="" glyph-name="A" horiz-adv-x="750">
<path style="fill-rule=evenodd; stroke:none" d="M ... />
</glyph>

When I use getAttributeValue("unicode") on such a glyph element it
seems not to return the correct value. In case of the above I get
0xee8181.

In the resulting SVG there is
<glyph unicode="î??" glyph-name="A" horiz-adv-x="750">
<path style="fill-rule=evenodd; stroke:none" d="M ... />
</glyph>

The code of this Java app is not from me so I don't know if anything is
missing.

__
Tom