JOURNALIST NEEDS HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by LP, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. LP

    LP Guest

    I am doing research for a Canadian magazine.
    I am trying to understand, in simple terms, if one can CORRECTLY say
    that there
    is a relationship between the "invention" of the Java programming
    language and the development
    of "Javascript."
    My story is basically directed to the lay person. In essence, this is
    what I am saying:

    "Java programming language was invented by James Gosling, of Sun
    Microsystems. The language was ideally suited
    to use on the Internet because of it's mult-platform capability. Java
    eventually contributed to the development of other
    web-based programs like Javascript which is not part of webpages
    everywhere. Javascript enables, among other things, the use of forms on
    webpages and even helps put radio stations online."

    DOES this sound OK? Any correction/clarification from anyone would be
    dearly appreciated.
    Thanks very much,
    Larry Pinnel
    (PLEASE contact me DIRECTLY at: )

    LP, Jun 23, 2004

  2. LP

    Ivan Marsh Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:39:01 +0000, LP wrote:

    > "Java programming language was invented by James Gosling, of Sun
    > Microsystems. The language was ideally suited to use on the Internet
    > because of it's mult-platform capability. Java eventually contributed to
    > the development of other web-based programs like Javascript which is not
    > part of webpages everywhere. Javascript enables, among other things, the
    > use of forms on webpages and even helps put radio stations online."
    >
    > DOES this sound OK?

    Uh... no.

    JavaScript is used on the web far more than Java.

    JavaScript is an interpreted scripting language designed for the web.

    Java is a compiled language that uses a virtual machine and can be used to
    do just about anything on almost any platform.

    They have very little in common other than the poorly chosen name of
    JavaScript.

    Try:

    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2001/04/06/js_history.html

    Does JOURNALIST == HOMEWORK?

    --
    i.m.

    Ivan Marsh, Jun 23, 2004

  3. LP

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, LP
    says...
    > I am doing research for a Canadian magazine.
    > I am trying to understand, in simple terms, if one can CORRECTLY say
    > that there
    > is a relationship between the "invention" of the Java programming
    > language and the development
    > of "Javascript."
    > My story is basically directed to the lay person. In essence, this is
    > what I am saying:
    >
    > "Java programming language was invented by James Gosling, of Sun
    > Microsystems. The language was ideally suited
    > to use on the Internet because of it's mult-platform capability.
    > Java
    > eventually contributed to the development of other
    > web-based programs like Javascript which is not part of webpages

    JavaScript isn't really a "program", it's a language. I think you mean
    "... which is *now* part of ..."

    > everywhere. Javascript enables, among other things, the use of forms on
    > webpages

    It doesn't enable the use of forms - they were around long before
    browser supported JavaScript, and there are still browsers that don't
    have a JavaScript engine. It can be used to enhance forms, however.

    > and even helps put radio stations online."

    How?

    http://tinyurl.com/2js9

    --
    Hywel

    Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/

    Hywel, Jun 23, 2004
  4. LP wrote:
    > I am doing research for a Canadian magazine.
    > I am trying to understand, in simple terms, if one can CORRECTLY say
    > that there
    > is a relationship between the "invention" of the Java programming
    > language and the development
    > of "Javascript."

    If you are sufficiently vague about what 'relationship' means.

    > My story is basically directed to the lay person. In essence, this is
    > what I am saying:

    <snip>
    > Java
    > eventually contributed to the development of other
    > web-based programs like Javascript

    I believe that the language that eventually became JavaScript
    (LiveScript) was developed independently of Java by Netscape. They
    really do not have much in common, except a syntax derived from C.

    > which is not part of webpages everywhere.

    That doesn't make sense (and isn't any more/less true of Java).

    > Javascript enables, among other things, the use of forms
    > on webpages

    Forms are facilitated by HTML alone. They work perfectly happily (and
    sometimes better) without javascript.

    > and even helps put radio stations online."

    Does that mean anything? But the technology needed to broadcast sound
    over the Internet does not necessitate the use of javascript anyway.

    > DOES this sound OK?

    <snip>

    No.

    Richard.