    missing or not installed since my search on the webserver's c drive came up
    empty.

    Thanks in advance.

    zz12, Nov 20, 2007

  2. zz12

    Evertjan. Guest

    zz12 wrote on 20 nov 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > Hello, would anyone be able to confirm that 'jscript.dll' is a
    > necessary file for an .asp page on IIS 5.0 to use the <script
    > language="JavaScipt" runat="SERVER"> code? It looks like the code in
    > this section is not working and being recognized since it keeps giving
    > me:

    Testing:

    <script language="JavaScipt" runat="SERVER">
    var a=1;
    </script>

    returns:

    Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0129'
    Unknown scripting language
    /test.asp, line 1
    The scripting language 'JavaScipt' is not found on the server.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 20, 2007

  3. zz12

    Dooza Guest

    Evertjan. wrote:
    > zz12 wrote on 20 nov 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    >
    >> Hello, would anyone be able to confirm that 'jscript.dll' is a
    >> necessary file for an .asp page on IIS 5.0 to use the <script
    >> language="JavaScipt" runat="SERVER"> code? It looks like the code in
    >> this section is not working and being recognized since it keeps giving
    >> me:

    > Testing:
    >
    > <script language="JavaScipt" runat="SERVER">
    > var a=1;
    > </script>
    >
    > returns:
    >
    > Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0129'
    > Unknown scripting language
    > /test.asp, line 1
    > The scripting language 'JavaScipt' is not found on the server.

    Is that cos of the typo?

    Steve

    Dooza, Nov 20, 2007
  4. "zz12" <> wrote in message
    > Hello, would anyone be able to confirm that 'jscript.dll' is a necessary
    > file for an .asp page on IIS 5.0 to use the <script language="JavaScipt"
    > runat="SERVER"> code? It looks like the code in this section is not

    working
    > and being recognized since it keeps giving me:
    >
    > "Microsoft JScript runtime (0x800A01B0)
    > File name or class name not found during Automation operation"
    >
    > and am suspecting that this jscript.dll file is a necessary file that's
    > missing or not installed since my search on the webserver's c drive came

    up
    > empty.

    Yes JScript.dll is necessary for any Jscript code to run in ASP, Wscript,
    Cscript, Internet Explorer or anything else using the MS script hosting APIs
    on the machine.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Nov 20, 2007
  5. zz12

    zz12 Guest

    Would you happen to know where I can download with instructions on how to
    install and register this file for Windows 2000 Server? I've looked around
    on the web and can't really seem to find how to do this clearly.

    Thanks a bunch for your speedy and informative reply Anthony. Much
    appreciated.

    zz12, Nov 20, 2007
  6. zz12 wrote:
    > Hello, would anyone be able to confirm that 'jscript.dll' is a
    > necessary file for an .asp page on IIS 5.0 to use the <script
    > language="JavaScipt" runat="SERVER"> code? It looks like the code in
    > this section is not working and being recognized since it keeps
    > giving me:
    >
    > "Microsoft JScript runtime (0x800A01B0)
    > File name or class name not found during Automation operation"
    >
    > and am suspecting that this jscript.dll file is a necessary file
    > that's missing or not installed since my search on the webserver's c
    > drive came up empty.

    Given the wording of the error message, I strongly suspect that the
    jscript.dll file is installed an running, otherwise it would not have
    supplied a runtime error. I suspect protected or system files, set by
    default in Windows Explorer to be hidden, do not show up in your search.

    I would look to the code inside the script block for the problem. Time
    to do some debugging - comment out all the code in the block and see if
    you still get the error. Then uncomment lines until you find the one
    that generates the error.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 20, 2007
  7. zz12

    zz12 Guest

    Yes you are correct. I unhid the system files and then did notice 'jscript.dll' was there. I even confirmed registering it and it still gives me the same error message. I wonder why it works from the original developer's environment in which ours is the same. The only difference is that the programmer uses a .udl file as the main datasource in which the authentication settings are slightly different and confirm the 'Test Connection' button from this .udl file is succeeding. I don't know if this helps but the following is the section of the code which I adjusted slightly to get to the point with different namings which is giving me the error:

    <script language="JavaScript" runat="SERVER">
    function GetDataTest(database){
    var connection;

    connection= new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Connection");
    connection.Open(database); //<---- Here is the line that is returning the 'Microsoft JScript runtime (0x800A01B0)' error message.
    Much thanks Bob.

    zz12, Nov 20, 2007
  8. zz12 wrote:
    > Yes you are correct. I unhid the system files and then did notice
    > 'jscript.dll' was there. I even confirmed registering it and it
    > still gives me the same error message. I wonder why it works from
    > the original developer's environment in which ours is the same. The
    > only difference is that the programmer uses a .udl file as the main
    > datasource in which the authentication settings are slightly
    > different and confirm the 'Test Connection' button from this .udl
    > file is succeeding. I don't know if this helps but the following is
    > the section of the code which I adjusted slightly to get to the point
    > with different namings which is giving me the error:
    >
    > <script language="JavaScript" runat="SERVER">
    > function GetDataTest(database){
    > var connection;
    >
    > connection= new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Connection");
    > connection.Open(database); //<---- Here is the line that is
    > returning the 'Microsoft JScript runtime (0x800A01B0)' error message.
    > Much thanks Bob.

    I would not use "connection" for the name of a variable ... it's too
    close to being the name of an actual object. It's probably not the
    source of your error but I would suggest using "cn" or "conn" for your
    variable name, rather than "connection"

    Given that you've changed the variable name and the error still occurs,
    I have to say that a call to the Open method will never result in an
    Automation error. It has to be the previous line. Again ... you can
    confirm this by commenting out everything except that line. Given that
    you are able to confirm my hypothesis, it is likely that your machine
    has a defective MDAC installation.

    Oh, wait. I never do ADO code in javascript. Can one of you javascript
    users confirm whether using "Open" as opposed to "open" could cause the
    error?

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 20, 2007
  9. zz12

    zz12 Guest

    Yes I temporarily changed the 'connection' name to a generic one just for
    this debugging help group purpose.

    I did change the 'Open' to 'open' and it still gives me the same error. I
    guess I'll try to debug in seeing what the line above for 'connection' value
    is set at (if it's even being set and/or holding it). Since this is jscript
    and I'm more of a vbscript guy would anyone happen to know off the top of
    one's head in how to debug similar to a 'response.write' line in jscript?

    I think you're hot on the trail on this Bob. Thank you very much for your
    input and expertise :)

    zz12, Nov 20, 2007
  10. zz12

    Evertjan. Guest

    Dooza wrote on 20 nov 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > Evertjan. wrote:
    >> zz12 wrote on 20 nov 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    >>
    >>> Hello, would anyone be able to confirm that 'jscript.dll' is a
    >>> necessary file for an .asp page on IIS 5.0 to use the <script
    >>> language="JavaScipt" runat="SERVER"> code? It looks like the code in
    >>> this section is not working and being recognized since it keeps giving
    >>> me:

    >> Testing:
    >>
    >> <script language="JavaScipt" runat="SERVER">
    >> var a=1;
    >> </script>
    >>
    >> returns:
    >>
    >> Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0129'
    >> Unknown scripting language
    >> /test.asp, line 1
    >> The scripting language 'JavaScipt' is not found on the server.

    > Is that cos of the typo?

    What typo?
    Are you asuming something?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 20, 2007
  11. zz12 wrote:
    > Yes I temporarily changed the 'connection' name to a generic one just
    > for this debugging help group purpose.
    >
    > I did change the 'Open' to 'open' and it still gives me the same
    > error. I guess I'll try to debug in seeing what the line above for
    > 'connection' value is set at (if it's even being set and/or holding
    > it). Since this is jscript and I'm more of a vbscript guy

    That means you can try testing vbscript code that does the same thing,
    can't you?

    Do this: create a page that contains nothing but the following code and
    test it:

    <script language="JavaScript" runat="SERVER">
    var connection;
    connection= new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Connection");
    </script>
    ..
    Does this produce the error?

    > would
    > anyone happen to know off the top of one's head in how to debug
    > similar to a 'response.write' line in jscript?

    The Response object is provided by the ASP engine so response.write
    works in both vbscript and javascript.
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 20, 2007
  12. zz12

    zz12 Guest

    I created an .asp page that contains only the following like you recommended:

    <script language="JavaScript" runat="SERVER">
    var connection;
    connection= new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Connection");
    </script>

    and surprisingly it it didn't give me an error message. It just shows a blank page which looks like a good thing in that the jscript.dll is working?

    Thanks again for your efforts Bob. This is really helping me out and learning something new.

    zz12, Nov 20, 2007
  13. OK, next step is to add in a connection.open statement utilizing a
    connection string that you know will work.

    zz12 wrote:
    > I created an .asp page that contains only the following like you
    > recommended:
    >
    > <script language="JavaScript" runat="SERVER">
    > var connection;
    > connection= new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Connection");
    > </script>
    >
    > and surprisingly it it didn't give me an error message. It just
    > shows a blank page which looks like a good thing in that the
    > jscript.dll is working?
    >
    > Thanks again for your efforts Bob. This is really helping me out and
    > learning something new.
    >

    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> zz12 wrote:
    >>> Yes I temporarily changed the 'connection' name to a generic one
    >>> just for this debugging help group purpose.
    >>>
    >>> I did change the 'Open' to 'open' and it still gives me the same
    >>> error. I guess I'll try to debug in seeing what the line above for
    >>> 'connection' value is set at (if it's even being set and/or holding
    >>> it). Since this is jscript and I'm more of a vbscript guy

    >> That means you can try testing vbscript code that does the same
    >> thing, can't you?
    >>
    >> Do this: create a page that contains nothing but the following code
    >> and test it:
    >>
    >> <script language="JavaScript" runat="SERVER">
    >> var connection;
    >> connection= new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Connection");
    >> </script>
    >> .
    >> Does this produce the error?
    >>
    >>> would
    >>> anyone happen to know off the top of one's head in how to debug
    >>> similar to a 'response.write' line in jscript?

    >> The Response object is provided by the ASP engine so response.write
    >> works in both vbscript and javascript.
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 20, 2007
  14. zz12

    zz12 Guest

    I think I have it working now.

    Thanks so much Bob and all for all of your helpful and speedy replies.
    Totally appreciate it.

    Take cares, you guys are awesome :)

    zz12, Nov 20, 2007
  15. Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    > Oh, wait. I never do ADO code in javascript. Can one of you javascript
    > users confirm whether using "Open" as opposed to "open" could cause
    > the error?

    Don't know about javascript, but for JScript, .Open() is correct.

    Incidentally, there are no reserved words or other objects in ASP/JScript
    named "connection" or "Connection".

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Nov 21, 2007
  16. zz12

    zz12 Guest

    I had these working on a w2k server (iis 5.0) and am now trying to run these on a w2k3 server (iis 6.0) and am getting the following error:

    Microsoft JScript runtime error '800a01b0'
    File name or class name not found during Automation operation
    Would anyone know if there's a security setting or something that I'm missing in why the above error message shows on the w2k3 server when it was running fine on the w2k server?

    Thanks in advance.

    zz12, Jan 15, 2008