JSP 2.0, pagelets, et al

WJ

I recently installed Tomcat 5 at home and started playing with it. It has
the new JSP 2.0 and Servlet 2.4 API.

I came across the concept of translation time includes and request time
includes. It seems that Sun's Java Studio
makes references to the "jato" tag libs, which seem to allow a developer to
use tags to include small pagelets
(like a select control, text box, etc) at request time.
(http://docs.sun.com/source/817-4801/overview1.html)

After doing some googling, the references I see seem to point to an XML to
object translator
(http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-2001/jw-0316-jato.html).

I've wanted to write something that will allow the dynamic creation of
compnents on a page, similar to my.yahoo.com
or my.msn.com. I started reading on the pluto project
(http://portals.apache.org/pluto/). This project is using a portlet
container which seems to run on top of tomcat (I just started reading about
this today) and using the portlet standard
(JSR 168).

What I'm looking for is what the jato.tld's offer, but the only reference I
see are in Sun's Java One Studio. An idea
similar to what I remember reading about the java.swing.text.html.*
packages.

I typically develop in eclipse and tomcat. I don't necessarily want to be
tied to a portlet container. Is something like the
jato.tld's available as a standalone package, that even plugs into
struts/tiles?

Any links that would would be a nutshell for reading would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks