jsp, servlets, and perl under one web server ?

Eric Osman

Hi,

I originally installed "indigoperl" so I could debug my perl scripts on
my home (xp) computer. "indigoperl" includes a pre-configured
installation of the apache web server.

Then yesterday, I installed apache "tomcat" server so I can debug jsp
and servlets on my same home computer.

So it would seem I'm now running two web servers on my home computer.
The tomcat one is listening on port "8080" (cause I specified this
number during the installation) .

The question:

Can I easily run just ONE web server that will serve all of jsp,
servlets, perl scripts ?

If so, at this point, which should I keep ? The indigo apache or the
tomcat apache ? Or do I need both ?

Where do I read up on how to configure the other if I drop one of them ?

Thanks. (e-mail address removed)

Matt Parker

Eric said:
Can I easily run just ONE web server that will serve all of jsp,
servlets, perl scripts ?

Yes is the answer. Apache is a very powerful web-server. Look-up "virtual
hosting" to find out how to serve different web-sites from the same Apache
instance. As for getting it to route through to Tomcat, you need to install
the mod_jk plugin for Apache and route all servlet/JSP requests to your
Tomcat server (which will not longer be listening for HTTP requests). More
info is available here -
http://johnturner.com/howto/apache-tomcat-howto.html

Matt

Eric Osman

Matt said:
Eric Osman wrote:

Yes is the answer. Apache is a very powerful web-server. Look-up "virtual
hosting" to find out how to serve different web-sites from the same Apache
instance. As for getting it to route through to Tomcat, you need to install
the mod_jk plugin for Apache and route all servlet/JSP requests to your
Tomcat server (which will not longer be listening for HTTP requests). More
info is available here -
http://johnturner.com/howto/apache-tomcat-howto.html

Matt

Thanks for the response, Matt.

I'll read the web page you referred to.

Do I infer correctly from what you wrote that indeed I need both
installations I've performed, although the second installation (tomcat)
will not be listening to socket 8080 once I have it all set up, and that
my original apache server will be listening for all of http, perl, jsp,
and servlet requests ?

If so, then it sounds like I'm on the right track since for your
solution I still need to have installed both "apache" (which I installed
implicitly via "indigoperl") and "tomcat" .

/Eric

J.P.Jarolim

Eric said:
Do I infer correctly from what you wrote that indeed I need both
installations I've performed, although the second installation
(tomcat)
will not be listening to socket 8080 once I have it all set up, and
that
my original apache server will be listening for all of http, perl,
jsp,
and servlet requests ?

Thats right - You'll need both to serve http, perl and jsp. Apache is
working on the basics and is giving all jsp/servlet-stuff to the specialiced
Servlet-Engine Tomcat.

You can run Tomcat alone on Port 80 but i don't know if it can handle perl
(Don't think so) and your special plugin for debugging perl too.

greets,

Johannes Jarolim

Wendy S

Eric Osman said:
Can I easily run just ONE web server that will serve all of jsp,
servlets, perl scripts ?

Apparently you can get Tomcat to do Perl:
http://www.ftponline.com/javapro/2003_03/online/perl_teden_03_18_03/

But the Apache HTTP server doesn't do Servlets, so if you want just one, it
would be Tomcat.

You can also configure Apache to hand off requests to Tomcat (usually by
matching a URL pattern). It's a useful thing to know how to do, but it's
not trivial. Take good notes and change only one thing at a time. It took
me a day or so to get our production web server to cooperate, but once it's
done, you don't have to mess with it.