JTable and huge dataset... best practice?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Dag Sunde, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. Dag Sunde

    Dag Sunde Guest

    This is just a preliminary post...

    I've been called in from vacation to help out with some
    performance-problems in an applet.

    I just have the problem description so far, and haven't
    seen the actual implementation yet. But I thought I could
    ask in a generic way.

    * Applet is to show a JTable with 24 rows (hours) of data.
    * Columns represents (strike)-prices.
    * Number of columns (headers) varies between min and max
    strike price depending on tick-size (minimum resolution).
    * Cells contains volumes.

    * Headers and data is read from web-server as a string:
    (r1c1;r1c2;...;r1cN|...|rNc1;rNc2;...;rNcN)
    * It takes 300 mSec to read a 450Kb string in the above
    format from the web-server.
    * It takes 2-300 mSec to split the string into a two-
    dimentional array of strings.

    * It takes 10-15 Seconds to update the data array into
    the data-model while the JTables flashes and scrolls
    like a maniac.

    Goal:
    * Reduce the time taken to update or create the data-model.
    * Avoid having the JTable look like an animated schess-board
    during the process.

    I know it's not enough specific information here, but if
    someone can give some hints and advice on how such a beast
    *should* be handled, I'll really appreciate it!

    TIA...

    --
    Dag.
    Dag Sunde, Jul 27, 2006

  2. Dag Sunde

    Kai Schwebke Guest

    Dag Sunde schrieb:
    > * It takes 10-15 Seconds to update the data array into
    > the data-model while the JTables flashes and scrolls
    > like a maniac.
    >
    > Goal:
    > * Reduce the time taken to update or create the data-model.

    sounds like every little model update is propagated to the view.
    I suggest creating a new model without view from scratch and attach
    this to the view as final action.

    Kai
    Kai Schwebke, Jul 27, 2006