    -- Mark Twain (a nod to evolution)
    --
    Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>
    W. Watson, Jan 5, 2007

  2. W. Watson

    Laszlo Nagy Guest

    W. Watson wrote:
    > What do I download to use Python with MX XP Pro on an ASUS 4 year old
    > motherboard? I would guess a good book source for starters would be the
    > O'Reilly book.

    You mean Microsoft XP Pro?

    For a beginner, the motherboard does not really matter. First of all,
    you should download Python itself:

    http://www.python.org/download/

    or more probably:

    http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5/python-2.5.msi

    Then you should download a good editor. There are many, listed here:
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors
    Under Windows, for a beginner, I would recommend pythonwin, but you can
    decide.

    Finally, you can start practicing. A book is always good. You can read
    online tutorials too:

    http://docs.python.org/tut/
    http://www.awaretek.com/tutorials.html

    Regards,

    Laszlo
    Laszlo Nagy, Jan 5, 2007

  3. W. Watson

    Guest

    Wise choice + welcome to the club.

    Though Python is open source and well appreciated on Linux, I think you
    will find that most people in this newsgroup will be fairly courteous
    about _your_ choice of platform. Some will not know about the weird
    process forking stuff on windows and helpfully suggest that 'if you
    were to use a real OS...'. But in reality Python is just as happy on
    XP as on Linux and the lack of scripting/shell alternatives on XP makes
    it all the more useful there.

    The only real XP drawback is that Python is not bundled on Windows,
    while it is included with OS X and most (all?) Linux distros.

    So, giving a *.py program to another XP user means little by itself, it
    needs to be either packaged in an exe (see py2exe) or you need to get
    your buddy to install python on their machine.

    In descending order of cheapness/usefullness.

    1. download python + work through the tutorial. well, maybe not all
    of it, but with pythonwin around, you can try out significant snippets
    quickly.

    2. use any ol' text editor that _you_ are familiar with, save to file,
    and python <file> under DOS. later on you can always pick an editor.
    i prefer eclipse + pydev, yes, even on windows.

    personally, i find pythonwin _great_ to test out code interactively,
    mediocre to write lots of code with and occasionally handy to debug
    code in.

    if you hate typing python <file> under DOS, then I guess you will have
    to run programs from pythonwin.

    3. internet

    this newsgroup is very informative.

    dive into python, pretty good net resource

    www.diveintopython.org

    4. books:

    Learning Python, isbn 0596002815, is pretty good.

    Python Programming on Win32, isbn 1565926218, is good, if a bit dated
    (2000, covers COM but no .Net)

    In depth Python - Python in a Nutshell, isbn 0596100469

    5. GUI stuff.

    wxPython. If, like me, you hate handcoding everything and want a VB
    drag&drop clone you will have to look around for someone else's advice
    - there are several such editors that do wxPython but I have never
    found anything entirely to my liking. I am sure others will chime in
    with their recommendations.

    6. Database stuff.

    Personally, working on MS SQL, I vouch for mxODBC - shareware, which I
    used for years without paying, until I decided the guy had definitely
    earned my $75.

    http://www.egenix.com/files/python/eGenix-mx-Extensions.html

    7. Prepping *.py programs for distribution to users w.o. Python

    py2exe - www.py2exe.org/

    Best o' luck.
    , Jan 6, 2007
  4. On 2007-01-06, <> wrote:

    > The only real XP drawback is that Python is not bundled on
    > Windows, while it is included with OS X and most (all?) Linux
    > distros.

    While it's true that Microsoft doesn't bundle Python with
    Windows, a _lot_ of XP computers do come with Python installed.
    My IBM ThinkPad came out of the box with Python installed. I've
    read that a few other large PC vendors (HP/Compaq?) also ship
    Python pre-installed on their machines.

    However, it's not usually installed in a manner that makes it
    conveniently usable by the end-user...

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! NOW, I'm supposed
    at to SCRAMBLE two, and HOLD
    Grant Edwards, Jan 6, 2007
  5. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    Laszlo Nagy wrote:
    > W. Watson wrote:
    >> What do I download to use Python with MX XP Pro on an ASUS 4 year old
    >> motherboard? I would guess a good book source for starters would be
    >> the O'Reilly book.
    >>

    > You mean Microsoft XP Pro?
    >
    > For a beginner, the motherboard does not really matter. First of all,
    > you should download Python itself:
    >
    > http://www.python.org/download/
    >
    > or more probably:
    >
    > http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5/python-2.5.msi
    >
    > Then you should download a good editor. There are many, listed here:
    > http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors
    > Under Windows, for a beginner, I would recommend pythonwin, but you can
    > decide.
    >
    > Finally, you can start practicing. A book is always good. You can read
    > online tutorials too:
    >
    > http://docs.python.org/tut/
    > http://www.awaretek.com/tutorials.html
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Laszlo

    Many thanks. I've been impressed lately what one finds in Wikipedia. The
    first such occurrence was when I find all the release dates for a photo
    software package that I use. Not even the mfger had that!

    ""I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions
    and billions of years before I was born, and had
    not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
    W. Watson, Jan 6, 2007
  6. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    Ah, I misread wiki as wikpedia. Nevertheless, wikipedia surprises me, as
    well as just wiki sites.
    W. Watson, Jan 6, 2007
  7. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    The wiki site lead to a link to download pythonwin, but the download is
    broken. Googling invariably leads back to that link. I found
    <http://www.python.org/download/releases/binaries-1.4/pythonwin/>, which has
    two files listed: oadist.exe and win32dbg.exe. Do I need both or is just the
    latter one?

    W. Watson, Jan 6, 2007
  8. W. Watson

    Thomas Ploch Guest

    W. Watson schrieb:
    > The wiki site lead to a link to download pythonwin, but the download is
    > broken. Googling invariably leads back to that link. I found
    > <http://www.python.org/download/releases/binaries-1.4/pythonwin/>, which has
    > two files listed: oadist.exe and win32dbg.exe. Do I need both or is just the
    > latter one?

    A google query 'pythonwin' directly brings me here:

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

    I think this is the place to go

    Thomas
    Thomas Ploch, Jan 6, 2007
  9. W. Watson

    rzed Guest

    wrote in

    > Wise choice + welcome to the club.

    Seconded.

    > The only real XP drawback is that Python is not bundled on
    > Windows, while it is included with OS X and most (all?) Linux
    > distros.

    My computer does, in fact, include a Python 2.2.1 installation,
    which the manufacturer uses internally.

    > 2. use any ol' text editor that _you_ are familiar with, save
    > to file, and python <file> under DOS. later on you can always
    > pick an editor. i prefer eclipse + pydev, yes, even on windows.
    >
    > personally, i find pythonwin _great_ to test out code
    > interactively, mediocre to write lots of code with and
    > occasionally handy to debug code in.
    >
    > if you hate typing python <file> under DOS, then I guess you
    > will have to run programs from pythonwin.

    Not so, but it takes a little setup. If I want to run a Python
    program named, say, "fixthis.py", I can invoke it by typing
    "fixthis.py" at the command-line prompt (if I'm running cmd.exe),
    or by clicking the icon in Windows Explorer. To make the command-
    line option work, I have to have file associations set so that .py
    files open with python (and .pyw files open with pythonw, for that
    matter). I *think* this is done at install time, though I may have
    done that separately.

    There is also an environment variable called "pathext", which is
    just a list of extensions the system recognizes as being
    executable in some way. if you add .py and .pyw to that list, then
    all you have to type at the command line is "fixthis" to get that
    Python program to run.

    I note that I have had my Python root and Python/Scripts directory
    on my path at times. There may be some packages that require these
    things, but what I talked about in the previous two paragraphs
    doesn't require pythonpath to be set specially.

    (Fiddling around) Ah! If you want to invoke the interactive python
    shell, you will probably want to add the root location to your
    path, so you can type
    > python

    .... to invoke it, rather than
    > c:\python25\python

    .... and something similar may be true for the Scripts
    subdirectory.

    --
    rzed
    rzed, Jan 6, 2007
  10. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    Thomas Ploch wrote:
    > W. Watson schrieb:
    >> The wiki site lead to a link to download pythonwin, but the download is
    >> broken. Googling invariably leads back to that link. I found
    >> <http://www.python.org/download/releases/binaries-1.4/pythonwin/>, which has
    >> two files listed: oadist.exe and win32dbg.exe. Do I need both or is just the
    >> latter one?

    > A google query 'pythonwin' directly brings me here:
    >
    > https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/
    >
    > I think this is the place to go
    >
    > Thomas

    That gets me the python program (pywin), which I got from a URL in a post
    above (python-win.msi). I guess these are the same or at least just the
    interpreter, and do not provide the IDE-debugger. I can't get pythonwin, the
    debugger and IDE. The link was broken last night when I tried it. Well, let
    me try now. Nope, it still reports "Error 404: File Not Found"

    W. Watson, Jan 7, 2007
  11. W. Watson kirjoitti:
    > Thomas Ploch wrote:

    <snip>

    >> https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/
    >>
    >> I think this is the place to go
    >>
    >> Thomas
    >>

    > That gets me the python program (pywin), which I got from a URL in a
    > post above (python-win.msi). I guess these are the same or at least just
    > the interpreter, and do not provide the IDE-debugger. I can't get
    > pythonwin, the debugger and IDE. The link was broken last night when I
    > tried it. Well, let me try now. Nope, it still reports "Error 404: File
    > Not Found"

    I don't understand your difficulties. If you've got Python installed and
    want to install the "Python for Windows extensions" aka pywin32, the
    above link is the way to go.

    Clicking it gets you to a Sourceforge page, where you can click
    "download" which gets you to ap page where you can choose which version
    of pywin32 build 210 you want. Choose the exe that was built for the
    Python version (e.g. 2.5) you are using, download and run it to install
    pywin32.

    HTH,
    Jussi
    Jussi Salmela, Jan 7, 2007
  12. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    Jussi Salmela wrote:
    > W. Watson kirjoitti:
    >> Thomas Ploch wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/
    >>>
    >>> I think this is the place to go
    >>>
    >>> Thomas
    >>>

    >> That gets me the python program (pywin), which I got from a URL in a
    >> post above (python-win.msi). I guess these are the same or at least
    >> just the interpreter, and do not provide the IDE-debugger. I can't get
    >> pythonwin, the debugger and IDE. The link was broken last night when I
    >> tried it. Well, let me try now. Nope, it still reports "Error 404:
    >> File Not Found"

    > I don't understand your difficulties. If you've got Python installed and
    > want to install the "Python for Windows extensions" aka pywin32, the
    > above link is the way to go.
    >
    > Clicking it gets you to a Sourceforge page, where you can click
    > "download" which gets you to ap page where you can choose which version
    > of pywin32 build 210 you want. Choose the exe that was built for the
    > Python version (e.g. 2.5) you are using, download and run it to install
    > pywin32.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Jussi

    As I understand it, there are two files I'm after: 1. python interpreter,
    and 2. a python editor. It's #2 that I'm having trouble downloading. The
    link is broken.

    W. Watson, Jan 7, 2007
  13. W. Watson

    Thomas Ploch Guest

    W. Watson schrieb:
    > As I understand it, there are two files I'm after: 1. python interpreter,
    > and 2. a python editor. It's #2 that I'm having trouble downloading. The
    > link is broken.

    This is the python interpreter for windows:

    http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5/python-2.5.msi

    Here you can check for editors:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

    Here you will get the pywin32 package (also including the Win32 API, COM
    support, and Pythonwin):

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

    I am not sure if you actually read any of our posts, because there is no
    404 whatsoever. On none of the posted links in the whole thread.

    Thomas
    Thomas Ploch, Jan 7, 2007
  14. On 7 ene, 13:22, "W. Watson" <> wrote:

    > As I understand it, there are two files I'm after: 1. python interpreter,
    > and 2. a python editor. It's #2 that I'm having trouble downloading. The
    > link is broken.

    The above link should work. Follow the instructions in a previous post.
    Note that in the last step, you have to choose a mirror for
    downloading; that mirrow might be down or out-of-sync so you might get
    an error there. Choose another mirrorr...

    Note that you dont *need* PythonWin in order to use Python on Windows.
    The standard Python distribution works fine. Even includes a Python
    editor (IDLE) but you can use whichever editor you like to write your
    code (even Notepad...)

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Gabriel Genellina, Jan 7, 2007
  15. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    Gabriel Genellina wrote:

    >> As I understand it, there are two files I'm after: 1. python interpreter,
    >> and 2. a python editor. It's #2 that I'm having trouble downloading. The
    >> link is broken.

    > The above link should work. Follow the instructions in a previous post.
    > Note that in the last step, you have to choose a mirror for
    > downloading; that mirrow might be down or out-of-sync so you might get
    > an error there. Choose another mirrorr...
    >
    > Note that you dont *need* PythonWin in order to use Python on Windows.
    > The standard Python distribution works fine. Even includes a Python
    > editor (IDLE) but you can use whichever editor you like to write your
    > code (even Notepad...)

    We seem to be looping. I have the Python interpreter. I would like the
    pythonwin editor. The download link doesn't work on SourceForge. Where can I
    get it? If not there, where? If it can't be obtained, then I'll go to the
    default editor built into python-2.5.msi.

    W. Watson, Jan 7, 2007
  16. On 7 ene, 16:20, "W. Watson" <> wrote:

    > We seem to be looping. I have the Python interpreter. I would like the
    > pythonwin editor. The download link doesn't work on SourceForge. Where can I
    > get it? If not there, where? If it can't be obtained, then I'll go to the
    > default editor built into python-2.5.msi.

    It *does* work for me. Try
    https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=78018&package_id=79063

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Gabriel Genellina, Jan 7, 2007
  17. W. Watson kirjoitti:
    > Gabriel Genellina wrote:

    >>> As I understand it, there are two files I'm after: 1. python
    >>> interpreter,
    >>> and 2. a python editor. It's #2 that I'm having trouble downloading. The
    >>> link is broken.

    >> The above link should work. Follow the instructions in a previous post.
    >> Note that in the last step, you have to choose a mirror for
    >> downloading; that mirrow might be down or out-of-sync so you might get
    >> an error there. Choose another mirrorr...
    >>
    >> Note that you dont *need* PythonWin in order to use Python on Windows.
    >> The standard Python distribution works fine. Even includes a Python
    >> editor (IDLE) but you can use whichever editor you like to write your
    >> code (even Notepad...)
    >>

    > We seem to be looping. I have the Python interpreter. I would like the
    > pythonwin editor. The download link doesn't work on SourceForge. Where
    > can I get it? If not there, where? If it can't be obtained, then I'll go
    > to the default editor built into python-2.5.msi.
    >

    > Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    > (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    > Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    >
    > ""I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions
    > and billions of years before I was born, and had
    > not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
    > -- Mark Twain (a nod to evolution)

    Trying to break the loop:

    The above link works for me. I've tried it numerous times during this
    looping. Clicking the link pops up a security warning informing that the
    browser is going to enter "https mode". Do you get that pop-up?

    When I accept the pop-up, I get a page containing a green rectangle
    "button". When I click it, I get another page in which I have to click
    download to go to the actual download page.

    If this doesn't work for you there must be something wrong with your
    configuration.

    HTH,
    Jussi
    Jussi Salmela, Jan 7, 2007
  18. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    Gabriel Genellina wrote:
    > On 7 ene, 16:20, "W. Watson" <> wrote:
    >
    >> We seem to be looping. I have the Python interpreter. I would like the
    >> pythonwin editor. The download link doesn't work on SourceForge. Where can I
    >> get it? If not there, where? If it can't be obtained, then I'll go to the
    >> default editor built into python-2.5.msi.

    > It *does* work for me. Try
    > https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=78018&package_id=79063

    I can easily see the page you refer to, but where's the pythonwin editor?

    A road sign along many highways reads, "$1000
    fine for littering" I have yet to find any
    $1000 bills. WTW
    --
    Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>
    W. Watson, Jan 8, 2007
  19. W. Watson kirjoitti:
    > Gabriel Genellina wrote:
    >> On 7 ene, 16:20, "W. Watson" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> We seem to be looping. I have the Python interpreter. I would like the
    >>> pythonwin editor. The download link doesn't work on SourceForge.
    >>> Where can I
    >>> get it? If not there, where? If it can't be obtained, then I'll go to
    >>> the
    >>> default editor built into python-2.5.msi.

    >> It *does* work for me. Try
    >> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=78018&package_id=79063
    >>

    > I can easily see the page you refer to, but where's the pythonwin editor?
    >

    > Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    > (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    > Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    >
    > A road sign along many highways reads, "$1000
    > fine for littering" I have yet to find any
    > $1000 bills. WTW

    The editor is only a part of pywin32, which is a handy package to do all
    kinds of Windows only stuff with Python. So download and install pywin32
    to get the editor and all that other nice stuff.

    HTH,
    Jussi
    Jussi Salmela, Jan 8, 2007