Just need a site counter

Al Camp

Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I don't even
need any graphic.

I Googled this NG, and found many references to "Free" counter sites, but
they all require registration (aka spam).
Other solutions requred Java Script.

Is there such a thing as just a simple HTML text counter I can incorporate
into my web site home page?

As always...thanks in advance,
Al Camp
Candia Computer Consulting - Candia NH
http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Al said:
Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I
don't even need any graphic.

I Googled this NG, and found many references to "Free" counter
sites, but they all require registration (aka spam). Other
solutions requred Java Script.

Is there such a thing as just a simple HTML text counter I can
incorporate into my web site home page?

How could the HTML store the counter number? You would need some kind
of server-side processing to save the last-used number and increment it.

Bravenet might be an answer for you.

Or, why not just read your server logs? Besides, counters on a web
page always indicate an amateur page to me.

Safalra

Al said:
Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I don't even
need any graphic.
I Googled this NG, and found many references to "Free" counter sites, but
they all require registration (aka spam).
Other solutions requred Java Script.
Is there such a thing as just a simple HTML text counter I can incorporate
into my web site home page?

To incorporate it as text you'd need to use server-side processing, and
if your host allows you to do server-side processing I presume they
would also allow you to see the server logs. Assuming, then, that you
don't have access to either of these, I'd recommend Site Meter:

http://sitemeter.com/

Before getting a decent host that let me see the server logs, I used to
use this. I've never received spam on the e-mail address I used to
register, and they offer a good range of statistics (and even more if
you use Javascript, or pay).

Be aware though that visit counters look really amateur.

Greg N.

Beauregard said:
Or, why not just read your server logs? Besides, counters on a web page
always indicate an amateur page to me.

If that's the only criterion you go by, you're somewhat amateurish
yourself.

You can hide them away in a non-prominent corner of your page, or make
them barely visible. But counters have their justification in many apps.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Greg said:
If that's the only criterion you go by, you're somewhat amateurish
yourself.

Thanks for your insightful observation. Are you going to tell Safalra
the same?
You can hide them away in a non-prominent corner of your page, or
make them barely visible.

Of course you can, if you know how, and if the counter code will let
you modify it.
But counters have their justification in many apps.

Maybe in an application, but usage for "You are the 123,456 visitor to
my web page" is not one of them. Tell us a few commercial or
professional web sites that have a counter on a page.

Safalra

Beauregard said:
Thanks for your insightful observation. Are you going to tell Safalra
the same?

Hey, don't bring me into this! Just kidding...

I think this 'amateur' comment needs explaining. Most of the websites
with counters on are run by kids (because they can't afford proper
hosting). Most kids put counters on their sites to show off to friends
(I remember celebrating beating another kid at school to 100,000
visits). Most people who have been on the internet for any length of
time are aware of all this. So putting a counter on your sites make
people think you care more about the number of visits than whether they
get good information.

Greg N.

Beauregard said:
Maybe in an application, but usage for "You are the 123,456 visitor to
my web page" is not one of them.

Well, I replied to your statement "counters on a web page always
indicate an amateur page to me."

"You are the 123,456 visitor to my web page" is amateurish, I agree.

Richard Bailey

Al said:
Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I don't even
need any graphic.

I Googled this NG, and found many references to "Free" counter sites, but
they all require registration (aka spam).
Other solutions requred Java Script.

Is there such a thing as just a simple HTML text counter I can incorporate
into my web site home page?

As always...thanks in advance,
Al Camp
Candia Computer Consulting - Candia NH
http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions
www.statcounter.com offers an 'html only' option with its free counter.
I use statcounter and havent had any spam problems, even though its free
hope that helps a bit
Richard

the idiot

Richard Bailey said:
www.statcounter.com offers an 'html only' option with its free counter.
I use statcounter and havent had any spam problems, even though its free
hope that helps a bit
Richard

i was just about to say the same thing... and the counter can be invisible
if required.
though i do use the javascript version because i am a bad man.

Al Camp

Thank you for your reply. I certainly will check this out.
Your personal expereience with the site is a great advantage, as I'm very
leery about these "register for our free..."
I want a counter because I need some measurement tool as I move from a
Comcast site, to registering a domain name, and perhaps getting some hits
form search engines.
I'm a newbie to web design and HTML, so many of the reponses I received are
a bit over my head.
Your reply was clear, and non-judgemental... and I appreciate that.
Al Camp
Candia Computer Consulting - Candia NH
http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions

Quasimido CSS

ronald macdonalds stomp-on-my-virtual-feet site?
Well, I replied to your statement "counters on a web page always
indicate an amateur page to me."

"You are the 123,456 visitor to my web page" is amateurish, I agree.

to OP: let me know of the counter site you find, and i'll add it to my hosts and proxo filters
(if not already there)
thanks :)

jafar

No, because I can't get there. :)

Has anyone else tried? (about 0355 GMT Fri)

Did you try again? My crappy ISP sometimes just disappears during the
night sometimes for 10 minutes or more at a time.