    Al Camp
    Candia Computer Consulting - Candia NH
    http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions

    Al Camp, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Al Camp wrote:
    > Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I
    > don't even need any graphic.
    >
    > I Googled this NG, and found many references to "Free" counter
    > sites, but they all require registration (aka spam). Other
    > solutions requred Java Script.
    >
    > Is there such a thing as just a simple HTML text counter I can
    > incorporate into my web site home page?

    How could the HTML store the counter number? You would need some kind
    of server-side processing to save the last-used number and increment it.

    Bravenet might be an answer for you.

    Or, why not just read your server logs? Besides, counters on a web
    page always indicate an amateur page to me.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 18, 2005

  3. Al Camp

    Safalra Guest

    Al Camp wrote:
    > Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I don't even
    > need any graphic.
    > I Googled this NG, and found many references to "Free" counter sites, but
    > they all require registration (aka spam).
    > Other solutions requred Java Script.
    > Is there such a thing as just a simple HTML text counter I can incorporate
    > into my web site home page?

    To incorporate it as text you'd need to use server-side processing, and
    if your host allows you to do server-side processing I presume they
    would also allow you to see the server logs. Assuming, then, that you
    don't have access to either of these, I'd recommend Site Meter:

    http://sitemeter.com/

    Before getting a decent host that let me see the server logs, I used to
    use this. I've never received spam on the e-mail address I used to
    register, and they offer a good range of statistics (and even more if
    you use Javascript, or pay).

    Be aware though that visit counters look really amateur.

    --
    Safalra (Stephen Morley)
    http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

    Safalra, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Al Camp

    Greg N. Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Or, why not just read your server logs? Besides, counters on a web page
    > always indicate an amateur page to me.

    If that's the only criterion you go by, you're somewhat amateurish
    yourself.

    You can hide them away in a non-prominent corner of your page, or make
    them barely visible. But counters have their justification in many apps.
    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

    Greg N., Aug 18, 2005
  5. Greg N. wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Or, why not just read your server logs? Besides, counters on a
    >> web page always indicate an amateur page to me.

    > If that's the only criterion you go by, you're somewhat amateurish
    > yourself.

    Thanks for your insightful observation. Are you going to tell Safalra
    the same?

    > You can hide them away in a non-prominent corner of your page, or
    > make them barely visible.

    Of course you can, if you know how, and if the counter code will let
    you modify it.

    > But counters have their justification in many apps.

    Maybe in an application, but usage for "You are the 123,456 visitor to
    my web page" is not one of them. Tell us a few commercial or
    professional web sites that have a counter on a page.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Al Camp

    Safalra Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Greg N. wrote:
    > > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > >> Or, why not just read your server logs? Besides, counters on a
    > >> web page always indicate an amateur page to me.

    > > If that's the only criterion you go by, you're somewhat amateurish
    > > yourself.

    > Thanks for your insightful observation. Are you going to tell Safalra
    > the same?

    Hey, don't bring me into this! Just kidding...

    I think this 'amateur' comment needs explaining. Most of the websites
    with counters on are run by kids (because they can't afford proper
    hosting). Most kids put counters on their sites to show off to friends
    (I remember celebrating beating another kid at school to 100,000
    visits). Most people who have been on the internet for any length of
    time are aware of all this. So putting a counter on your sites make
    people think you care more about the number of visits than whether they
    get good information.

    Safalra, Aug 18, 2005
  7. Al Camp

    Greg N. Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Maybe in an application, but usage for "You are the 123,456 visitor to
    > my web page" is not one of them.

    Well, I replied to your statement "counters on a web page always
    indicate an amateur page to me."

    "You are the 123,456 visitor to my web page" is amateurish, I agree.

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

    Greg N., Aug 18, 2005
  8. Al Camp

    jafar Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:26:10 -0400, Al Camp wrote:

    > Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I don't even
    > need any graphic.

    I use awstats to track the numbers for my site. Although it is by default
    accessible only locally, I also mirror it to a public area on my server.
    for example

    http://moonlife-records.com/stats/stats.html

    Is that enough counters for you? ;)

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Producer - http://moonlife-records.com

    jafar, Aug 18, 2005
  9. Al Camp wrote:
    > Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I don't even
    > need any graphic.
    >
    > I Googled this NG, and found many references to "Free" counter sites, but
    > they all require registration (aka spam).
    > Other solutions requred Java Script.
    >
    > Is there such a thing as just a simple HTML text counter I can incorporate
    > into my web site home page?
    >
    > As always...thanks in advance,
    > Al Camp
    > Candia Computer Consulting - Candia NH
    > http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions

    www.statcounter.com offers an 'html only' option with its free counter.
    I use statcounter and havent had any spam problems, even though its free
    hope that helps a bit
    Richard

    Richard Bailey, Aug 18, 2005
  10. Al Camp

    the idiot Guest

    "Richard Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > Al Camp wrote:
    > > Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I don't

    even
    > > need any graphic.
    > >
    > > I Googled this NG, and found many references to "Free" counter sites,

    but
    > > they all require registration (aka spam).
    > > Other solutions requred Java Script.
    > >
    > > Is there such a thing as just a simple HTML text counter I can

    incorporate
    > > into my web site home page?
    > >
    > > As always...thanks in advance,
    > > Al Camp
    > > Candia Computer Consulting - Candia NH
    > > http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions
    > >

    > www.statcounter.com offers an 'html only' option with its free counter.
    > I use statcounter and havent had any spam problems, even though its free
    > hope that helps a bit
    > Richard

    i was just about to say the same thing... and the counter can be invisible
    if required.
    though i do use the javascript version because i am a bad man.

    the idiot, Aug 19, 2005
  11. Al Camp

    Al Camp Guest

    Thanks for the reply, but I couldn't access your site... it just times out.
    Al Camp

    Al Camp, Aug 19, 2005
  12. Al Camp

    Al Camp Guest

    Thank you for your reply. I certainly will check this out.
    Your personal expereience with the site is a great advantage, as I'm very
    leery about these "register for our free..."
    I want a counter because I need some measurement tool as I move from a
    Comcast site, to registering a domain name, and perhaps getting some hits
    form search engines.
    I'm a newbie to web design and HTML, so many of the reponses I received are
    a bit over my head.
    Your reply was clear, and non-judgemental... and I appreciate that.

    Al Camp, Aug 19, 2005
  13. Al Camp

    Al Camp Guest

    "the idiot" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard Bailey" <> wrote in message
    >> Al Camp wrote:
    >> > Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I don't

    > even
    >> > need any graphic.
    >> >
    >> > I Googled this NG, and found many references to "Free" counter sites,

    > but
    >> > they all require registration (aka spam).
    >> > Other solutions requred Java Script.
    >> >
    >> > Is there such a thing as just a simple HTML text counter I can

    > incorporate
    >> > into my web site home page?
    >> >
    >> > As always...thanks in advance,
    >> > Al Camp
    >> > Candia Computer Consulting - Candia NH
    >> > http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions
    >> >

    >> www.statcounter.com offers an 'html only' option with its free counter.
    >> I use statcounter and havent had any spam problems, even though its free
    >> hope that helps a bit
    >> Richard

    > i was just about to say the same thing... and the counter can be invisible
    > if required.
    > though i do use the javascript version because i am a bad man.

    Thankyou... that's another good piece of info... that I can hide the
    counter.
    Thanks,

    Al Camp, Aug 19, 2005
  14. Al Camp

    Al Camp Guest

    Thanks Safalra,
    I will check that out... lot's to learn about!

    Al Camp, Aug 19, 2005
  15. jafar wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:26:10 -0400, Al Camp wrote:
    >
    >> Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I don't even
    >> need any graphic.

    > I use awstats to track the numbers for my site. Although it is by default
    > accessible only locally, I also mirror it to a public area on my server.
    > for example
    >
    > http://moonlife-records.com/stats/stats.html
    >
    > Is that enough counters for you? ;)

    No, because I can't get there. :)

    Has anyone else tried? (about 0355 GMT Fri)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 19, 2005
  16. Al Camp

    Al Camp Guest

    > Al Camp wrote:
    >> Can some direct me to a free, totally HTML site visit counter. I don't
    >> even need any graphic.
    >>
    >> I Googled this NG, and found many references to "Free" counter sites, but
    >> they all require registration (aka spam).
    >> Other solutions requred Java Script.
    >>
    >> Is there such a thing as just a simple HTML text counter I can
    >> incorporate into my web site home page?
    >>
    >> As always...thanks in advance,
    >> Al Camp
    >> Candia Computer Consulting - Candia NH
    >> http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions
    >>

    > www.statcounter.com offers an 'html only' option with its free counter. I
    > use statcounter and havent had any spam problems, even though its free
    > hope that helps a bit
    > Richard

    Richard,
    Tried StatCounter... works great!

    Al Camp, Aug 19, 2005
  17. "Greg N." <> in news:de2ule$fkr$:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe in an application, but usage for "You are the 123,456 visitor to
    >> my web page" is not one of them.

    ronald macdonalds stomp-on-my-virtual-feet site?

    > Well, I replied to your statement "counters on a web page always
    > indicate an amateur page to me."
    >
    >"You are the 123,456 visitor to my web page" is amateurish, I agree.

    to OP: let me know of the counter site you find, and i'll add it to my hosts and proxo filters
    (if not already there)
    thanks :)

    Quasimido CSS, Aug 24, 2005
  18. Al Camp

    jafar Guest

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:58:02 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> http://moonlife-records.com/stats/stats.html
    >>
    >> Is that enough counters for you? ;)

    > No, because I can't get there. :)
    >
    > Has anyone else tried? (about 0355 GMT Fri)

    Did you try again? My crappy ISP sometimes just disappears during the
    night sometimes for 10 minutes or more at a time.

    jafar, Aug 24, 2005