    but it appears to have been eaten by the 404 Monster.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Jun 21, 2012

  2. > Does Jython 2.5 honour the PYTHONSTARTUP environment variable? According

    > to my testing, it doesn't.
    >
    > There used to be a page describing the differences between Jython and
    > CPython here:
    >
    > http://www.jython.org/docs/differences.html
    >
    > but it appears to have been eaten by the 404 Monster.

    Maybe theoutdated version will help:
    http://www.jython.org/archive/21/docs/differences.html

    For your specific question I see this in thedocs,
    """
    The Interactive Startup File
    When you use Python interactively, it is frequently handy to have some standard commands executed every time the interpreter is started. You can do this by setting an environment variable named PYTHONSTARTUP to the name of a file containing your start-up commands. This is similar to the .profile feature of the Unix shells.
    This file is only read in interactive sessions, not when Python reads commands from a script, and not when /dev/tty is given as the explicit source of commands (which otherwise behaves like an interactive session). It is executed in the same namespace where interactive commands are executed, so that objects that it defines or imports can be used withoutqualification in the interactive session. You can also change the prompts sys.ps1 and sys.ps2 in this file.
    If you want to read an additional start-up file from the current directory, you can program this in theglobal start-up file using code like if os.path.isfile('.pythonrc.py'): execfile('.pythonrc.py'). If you want to use the startup file in a script, you must do this explicitly in the script:
    import os filename = os.environ.get('PYTHONSTARTUP') if filename and os.path.isfile(filename):
    execfile(filename)
    """
    http://www.jython.org/docs/tutorial/interpreter.html?highlight=pythonstartup

    Ramit