[Jython-users] ANN: SPIRO - a cPython->Jython bridge (amongst otheruses)

Discussion in 'Python' started by David McNab, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. David McNab

    David McNab Guest

    Hi,

    Announcing SPIRO - an easy cPython to Java bridge.

    Background:

    I spent some time looking for ways to interface between python and java.

    Jython is great - but it comes at a price where one must forego all
    python modules containing binaries.

    Pyro is great too - but presently cannot support running servers under
    jython.

    I tried JPE - but its brittleness rules it out for distributing code to
    others.

    So I gave up and wrote a new ORB myself:
    SPIRO - Simple Python Interface to Remote Objects
    http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/spiro

    SPIRO allows cPython programs to manipulate Java objects via jython.
    While it's not exactly CORBA-compliant, it is an easy and simple way to
    bridge between cPython and Java, with the advantage that it doesn't
    require any binary compilation.

    The server-side of SPIRO can be easily built into a standalone .jar
    file, which together with the cPython Spiro client class, will give your
    cPython programs access to the full catalogue of java software.

    Please note - this is an early alpha release, so stability is not
    guaranteed. If you're a tinkerer, and you feel like joining the
    development effort, let me know and I'll open a sourceforge account.

    Present limitations - no support for subclassing Java objects in
    cPython, no support for exceptions.

    Cheers
    David

    David McNab, Apr 9, 2004