K&R Answers?

Richard Heathfield

stop said:
Thanks for the background briefing, Keith. I think fortran's J3-ness
indeed has to do with x3j11 in the way we name things so as to provoke an
association.

I'll contend to the contrary that this is ungoogleable. The first entry
of
the search results that I got from the search you suggest is: * XXX XXX
333333 JJJJJJJJ 1111 1111 * XXX XXX 33 JJ 11 11 11 11 * XXX XXX 33 JJ 11
11 * XXXXX 33333 JJ 11 11 * XXX XXX 33 JJ 11 11 * XXX XXX 33 JJ JJ 11 .
Funnier was the fifth result:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:X3J11

My canonical example for what is ungoogleable is finding out about the
coffee trade on the island of java. I think ungoogleable results would
make
an amusing compendium. I just thought of another: Hormel products.

C itself can be fairly ghastly to "google" for. The worst part of the C
language is its name.

stop

Keith Thompson said:
X3 is the former name for INCITS, the InterNational Committee for
Information Technology Standards; see <http://www.x3.org/>.

Within X3, J3 (or X3J3) is the Technical Committee for Fortran, and
J11 (or X3J11) is the Tehnical Committee for C; see
<http://www.incits.org>.

One source says that X3J11 was originally formed by ANSI. I'm not
sure of the current relationship between ANSI and INCITS, or of the
organizational history.

I suggest that a quick Google search for "X3J11" would have cleared up
your confusion.
Thanks for the background briefing, Keith. I think fortran's J3-ness indeed
has to do with x3j11 in the way we name things so as to provoke an
association.

I'll contend to the contrary that this is ungoogleable. The first entry of
the search results that I got from the search you suggest is: * XXX XXX
333333 JJJJJJJJ 1111 1111 * XXX XXX 33 JJ 11 11 11 11 * XXX XXX 33 JJ 11 11
* XXXXX 33333 JJ 11 11 * XXX XXX 33 JJ 11 11 * XXX XXX 33 JJ JJ 11 .
Funnier was the fifth result:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:X3J11

My canonical example for what is ungoogleable is finding out about the
coffee trade on the island of java. I think ungoogleable results would make
an amusing compendium. I just thought of another: Hormel products.

Philip Potter

Richard said:
stop said:

C itself can be fairly ghastly to "google" for. The worst part of the C
language is its name.

I like the name. Especially since it's one of those funky recursive
acronyms. It stands for "C" :)

c gordon liddy

Philip Potter said:
I like the name. Especially since it's one of those funky recursive
acronyms. It stands for "C" :)

What would a "recursive acronym" be? I assume that a one-letter solution is
degenerate.

Willem

c wrote:
) What would a "recursive acronym" be? I assume that a one-letter solution is
) degenerate.

PHP is a recursive acronym, for example.
It stands for: Php Hypertext Proprocessor

SaSW, Willem
drugged or something..
#EOT

c gordon liddy

Willem said:
c wrote:
) What would a "recursive acronym" be? I assume that a one-letter
solution is
) degenerate.

PHP is a recursive acronym, for example.
It stands for: Php Hypertext Proprocessor
I see. Wiki had more examples:
AMARA - Amara Means A Recursive Acronym
apsfilter - Apsfilter Prints So Fine, It Leads To Extraordinary Results
ARIA - ARIA Really Is Awesome (Reference to game)
CAVE - Cave Automatic Virtual Environment
Cygnus - Cygnus, Your GNU Support

It would seem to be limited to one step. I think I came up with a
two-stepper though:

CACA: Caucasians Against Causal Associations. You would think this acronym
unfortunate, but there really is a Chinese American Citizen Alliance. I
wonder if they know it means poop.

Richard Heathfield

c gordon liddy said:
I see. Wiki had more examples:
AMARA - Amara Means A Recursive Acronym
apsfilter - Apsfilter Prints So Fine, It Leads To Extraordinary Results
ARIA - ARIA Really Is Awesome (Reference to game)
CAVE - Cave Automatic Virtual Environment
Cygnus - Cygnus, Your GNU Support

It would seem to be limited to one step. I think I came up with a
two-stepper though:

CACA: Caucasians Against Causal Associations. You would think this
acronym
unfortunate, but there really is a Chinese American Citizen Alliance. I
wonder if they know it means poop.

The Jargon File contains a reference to a different kind of two-stepper -
courtesy of a couple of old MIT editors:

EINE - EINE Is Not Emacs
ZWEI - ZWEI Was EINE Initially

Googling for these (in an attempt to get some independent confirmation of
the origin of these names) proved somewhat - um - interesting, since EINE,
ZWEI, and even MIT are of course all legal German words ("one", "two", and
"with"). Also, Germans don't seem to be averse to using the word "editor"
- it may even be the proper German word, for all I know.

But I did find this article, by a guy who seems to know what he's talking
about:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/gregs/info-dylan-archive-html-2001/msg00763.html