    are planning a new edition, if so when will it be released. Also will it
    be available for Kindle.

    Thank You.
    Moe, Feb 25, 2012

  2. Moe

    Ian Collins Guest

    On 02/26/12 11:03 AM, Moe wrote:
    > Hello friends
    >
    > I am starting to learn C.
    >
    > One friend has recommended a book called K&R (full title "C Programming
    > Language"). However another friend told me that the C language has
    > recently been up-dated so this book is now outofdate and I should save my
    > money for a new edition of same.

    Interesting muddle, "updated" is one word, "out of date" is three!

    > My question is: dose anyone know if the authors (Kernerghan and Richie)
    > are planning a new edition, if so when will it be released. Also will it
    > be available for Kindle.

    Considering it wasn't updated for C99 and editorial updates from beyond
    the grave are somewhat tricky, no.

    --
    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, Feb 25, 2012

  3. Moe wrote:

    > My question is: dose anyone know if the authors (Kernerghan and Richie)
    > are planning a new edition, if so when will it be released. Also will it
    > be available for Kindle.
    >
    > Thank You.

    At least Dennis Ritchie isn't planning for anything anymore...

    --
    RTMPDump & ffmpeg are your friends..
    -icke
    Ralph Spitzner, Feb 25, 2012
  4. On 25-Feb-12 16:03, Moe wrote:
    > Hello friends
    >
    > I am starting to learn C.
    >
    > One friend has recommended a book called K&R (full title "C Programming
    > Language"). However another friend told me that the C language has
    > recently been up-dated so this book is now outofdate and I should save my
    > money for a new edition of same.

    The second edition (often referred to as "K&R2") is a bit dated, as the
    Standard has been updated several times since its original publication,
    but the core language has not changed much since then, and it's still an
    excellent book.

    (However, I would avoid the first edition, which predates the ANSI/ISO
    Standard by more than a decade and is now considered obsolete.)

    > My question is: dose anyone know if the authors (Kernerghan and Richie)
    > are planning a new edition, if so when will it be released. Also will it
    > be available for Kindle.

    Dennis Richie passed away in 2011, so a third edition seems unlikely, at
    least by the same authors.

    Stephen Sprunk, Feb 25, 2012
  5. Moe <> wrote:
    > I am starting to learn C.

    > One friend has recommended a book called K&R (full title "C Programming
    > Language"). However another friend told me that the C language has
    > recently been up-dated so this book is now outofdate and I should save my
    > money for a new edition of same.

    > My question is: dose anyone know if the authors (Kernerghan and Richie)
    > are planning a new edition, if so when will it be released. Also will it
    > be available for Kindle.

    First of all, there are two editions of that book. If you buy
    it make sure you get the second edition (from 1989 or later).
    But I guess that finding the first edition is getting difficult
    - there where some times were it was important to check what
    one ordered, but that probably isn't much of an issue anymore.

    And there's not going to be any new edition by the authors -
    Dennis Ritchie (the 'R' in K&R) died last year. On the other
    hand most of what you will find in the second edition is still
    valid. There are a number of things that have been added to C
    since the book did appear, there were two new standards, C99
    and C11, but once you have worked through the book I would
    guess it's not a big problem to also learn the stuff that has
    been added since then (compilers that support all of C99 and,
    even more, all of the C11 features are still very scarce).

    K&R is, IMHO, one of the best-written programming books, so
    even if it might be a bit outdated (but not that much) it's
    still worth reading (and no, I don't get anything for praising
    that book, I just learned C from it about 20 years ago and was
    very happy with it and haven't read any other book about a
    programming languages since then that I would consider to be
    superior). Of course, it was written for people which already
    have some experience with programming. So it's not a book that
    is meant to get you started on programming - then the learning
    curve might be a bit too steep. If you never wrote a program
    and never used a compiler some book that gets you through the
    very first steps might be oreferable and only after that K&R
    is what you should be looking into.

    And, finally, I don't have any information if that book is
    going to become available in electronic form (be it for the
    Kindle or whatever else). But since it is, with less than 280
    pages, a rather slim book (compared to the tomes that are ne-
    cessary for other languages) it's not much of a problem to
    lug it around (it weights less than 500 g but the informa-
    tion-to-weight ratio is unusally high;-)

    Regards, Jens
    --
    \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___
    Jens Thoms Toerring, Feb 25, 2012
  6. Moe <> writes:
    [...]
    > My question is: dose anyone know if the authors (Kernerghan and Richie)
    > are planning a new edition, if so when will it be released. Also will it
    > be available for Kindle.

    The correct spelling is Kernighan and Ritchie.

    Will write code for food.
    Keith Thompson, Feb 25, 2012
  7. In article <>,
    Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    >Moe <> writes:
    >[...]
    >> My question is: dose anyone know if the authors (Kernerghan and Richie)
    >> are planning a new edition, if so when will it be released. Also will it
    >> be available for Kindle.

    >The correct spelling is Kernighan and Ritchie.

    Thank you, Mr. Kiki, for your excellent contribution.

    ____________________________
    : Your message has been :
    : carefully placed in :
    : its very own, specially : _________
    : prepared, luxuriantly : ________:_______:________
    : hand crafted circular : :_______________________:
    : file where it will : ::: : : : : : :::
    : receive the dignity and : ::: : : : : : :::
    : attention it : ::: : : : : : :::
    : deserves. ---------> : ::: : : : : : :::
    :--------------------------: ::: : : : : : :::
    ::: : : : : : :::
    ::: : : : : : :::
    ::: : : : : : :::
    ::: : : : : : :::
    ::: : : : : : :::
    ::: : : : : : :::
    ::: : : : : : :::
    -----------------------

    --
    "The anti-regulation business ethos is based on the charmingly naive notion
    that people will not do unspeakable things for money." - Dana Carpender

    Quoted by Paul Ciszek (pciszek at panix dot com). But what I want to know
    is why is this diet/low-carb food author doing making pithy political/economic
    statements?

    Nevertheless, the above quote is dead-on, because, the thing is - business
    in one breath tells us they don't need to be regulated (which is to say:
    that they can morally self-regulate), then in the next breath tells us that
    corporations are amoral entities which have no obligations to anyone except
    their officers and shareholders, then in the next breath they tell us they
    don't need to be regulated (that they can morally self-regulate) ...
    Kenny McCormack, Feb 26, 2012
  8. (Kenny McCormack) writes:

    > In article <>,
    > Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    >>Moe <> writes:
    >>[...]
    >>> My question is: dose anyone know if the authors (Kernerghan and Richie)
    >>> are planning a new edition, if so when will it be released. Also will it
    >>> be available for Kindle.

    >>The correct spelling is Kernighan and Ritchie.

    > Thank you, Mr. Kiki, for your excellent contribution.

    Spelling people's names correctly is respectful and helps when searching
    bookseller's catalogs.

    -- Patrick
    Patrick Scheible, Mar 1, 2012
  9. On Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:03:28 AM UTC+6, Moe wrote:
    > Hello friends
    >
    > I am starting to learn C.
    >
    > One friend has recommended a book called K&R (full title "C Programming
    > Language"). However another friend told me that the C language has
    > recently been up-dated so this book is now outofdate and I should save my
    > money for a new edition of same.
    >
    > My question is: dose anyone know if the authors (Kernerghan and Richie)
    > are planning a new edition, if so when will it be released. Also will it
    > be available for Kindle.
    >
    > Thank You.

    Best programming book ever. not only you will learn the inside out of "c" but also very important practices.

    The most wonderful thing about the book is the examples. They are "real" programs, dealing with "real" problems. Whereas most of the programming booksgive examples of mundane code to illustrate a point, and also those books failed to point the necessities may arise in practical situation. This makes the reader "wonder" about what to do with the newly learned "feature".

    K&R has the best set of examples i have ever seen in a programming book. This alone can be a root cause to get a copy of it. you will learn not only "what" is "C" but also "how" to use it for solving some "real" problems can arise from everyday computing. (i'm assuming you live by a *nix "shell" :))
    ArifulHossain tuhin, Mar 1, 2012
  10. Moe

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 03/01/2012 04:05 AM, Patrick Scheible wrote:
    > (Kenny McCormack) writes:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    >>> Moe <> writes:
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> The correct spelling is Kernighan and Ritchie.

    >> Thank you, Mr. Kiki, for your excellent contribution.

    > Spelling people's names correctly is respectful and helps when searching
    > bookseller's catalogs.

    Being respectful is not a priority for Kenny. I can't imagine him
    spending much time reading books, either.
    --
    James Kuyper
    James Kuyper, Mar 1, 2012
  11. In article <jinm0g$dhm$>,
    James Kuyper <> wrote:
    >On 03/01/2012 04:05 AM, Patrick Scheible wrote:
    >> (Kenny McCormack) writes:

    >>> Thank you, Mr. Kiki, for your excellent contribution.

    >> Spelling people's names correctly is respectful and helps when searching
    >> bookseller's catalogs.

    >Being respectful is not a priority for Kenny. I can't imagine him
    >spending much time reading books, either.

    I'm a South Park character. They don't have "books" in Colorado.

    --

    Some of the more common characteristics of Asperger syndrome include:

    * Inability to think in abstract ways (eg: puns, jokes, sarcasm, etc)
    * Difficulties in empathising with others
    * Problems with understanding another person's point of view
    * Hampered conversational ability
    * Problems with controlling feelings such as anger, depression
    and anxiety
    * Adherence to routines and schedules, and stress if expected routine
    is disrupted
    * Inability to manage appropriate social conduct
    * Delayed understanding of sexual codes of conduct
    * A narrow field of interests. For example a person with Asperger
    syndrome may focus on learning all there is to know about
    baseball statistics, politics or television shows.
    * Anger and aggression when things do not happen as they want
    * Sensitivity to criticism
    * Eccentricity
    * Behaviour varies from mildly unusual to quite aggressive
    and difficult
    Kenny McCormack, Mar 1, 2012