Keith Thompson's messages dont come through

Ray Banana

Default said:
Due to the sporge attack in some groups, I've heard something about
cancel messages being sent for Road Runner posts. I don't remember the
details, and NIN doesn't seem to be honoring them if this is the case
here. I don't know that it has anything to do with it or not.

In fact, Roadrunner has been the primary source of these floods for
three months (up to 10.000 spam articles/day to sci.crypt) without any
reaction to complaints or any visible effort to stop the spammer. As a
consequence, Roadrunner is under an active UDP right now[1] and many news
servers refuse to accept *any* postings from it.

[1] see ongoing discussion in news.admin.net-abuse.policy

Don Bruder

Keith Thompson <[email protected]> said:
Default User wrote:
[...]
Due to the sporge attack in some groups, I've heard something about
cancel messages being sent for Road Runner posts. I don't remember the
details, and NIN doesn't seem to be honoring them if this is the case
here. I don't know that it has anything to do with it or not.

I'm trying aoie.org; we'll see if it works. (BTW, aioe.org doesn't have
the messages I've posted from rr.com; I think somebody already mentioned
that.) The following is a repeat of what I posted from rr.com. I might
consider switching to aioe.org for news posting if RoadRunner doesn't
get its act together.

Ok, I think that probably explains it. A bit of Googling
turned up a thread in news.admin.net-abuse.policy at

http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.net-abuse.policy/browse_frm/thread/b
3327ff1bacd5618/b9840dbbb9ceb3a8%23b9840dbbb9ceb3a8

or equivalently

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2c563t

According to the second article in that thread, posted Nov 4 by Xavier
Roche:

rr.com: still being used for floods, never replied to complaints
(6 sent so far) ; upstream (newshosting) replied _once_ that
something should be done (..)

I've already complained to rr.com about this; I'll do so again and
draw their attention to the thread in nanap.

Given their past history regarding abuse complaints, you'll get nothing.
"Default User": if you see this, can you post a followup quoting the
entire article? If Default User hasn't done so after a while, can
someone else do so? Thanks.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) (e-mail address removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>

Havent' seen anything from "Default User", so here's a quoteback for you
- I'm seeing it on sonic.net's news server.

Sonic seems to be honoring the cancels against Roadrunner - A few of the
flooder's messages are getting to me, but the vast majority vanish
before I see them.

Of the few that are still getting through, the (almost always a
dotted-quad IP number) NNTP-posting host is, with only two exceptions
that I've seen, a *.rr.com server. (both exceptions are *.suddenlink.net
addresses)

Fair warning, Keith - Roadrunner has a *REALLY* bad reputation on the
'net as far as dealing with abuse complaints - their standard practice
seems to be to black-hole them. This has been true for *WAY* too long.
So I, for one, welcome the cancel-bots and/or UDP against them. Maybe
this will *FINALLY* wake them up. (but only if the users that are being
affected bitch loud enough to them... Hint, hint...)

Default User

Keith said:
Ok, I think that probably explains it. A bit of Googling
turned up a thread in news.admin.net-abuse.policy at

http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.net-abuse.policy/browse_frm/
thread/b3327ff1bacd5618/b9840dbbb9ceb3a8%23b9840dbbb9ceb3a8

or equivalently

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2c563t

According to the second article in that thread, posted Nov 4 by Xavier
Roche:

rr.com: still being used for floods, never replied to complaints
(6 sent so far) ; upstream (newshosting) replied once that
something should be done (..)

I've already complained to rr.com about this; I'll do so again and
draw their attention to the thread in nanap.

"Default User": if you see this, can you post a followup quoting the
entire article? If Default User hasn't done so after a while, can
someone else do so? Thanks.

Here you go.

Brian

Don Bruder wrote:

Havent' seen anything from "Default User", so here's a quoteback for
you - I'm seeing it on sonic.net's news server.

I was bizee making slides for a presentation.

Brian

David Thompson

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 02:05:18 +0100, "Charlie Gordon"
Also does anyone know of an NNTP reader that can retrieve posts from
different servers and aggregate them in a single local store, removing
duplicates (and spam ;-)
On Win32 only (or emulations like Wine), as is true for OE:

Forte' Agent at www.forteinc.com version 3 or up (current is 4.2).
30-day free trial then USD29, or up through IIRC 3.3 allows a
permanently free but somewhat restricted mode called Free Agent.

Resolves true duplicates (same message-id) across servers and
downloads from only one. Resolves cross-posts by message-id and can
filter or discard.

Can filter news (before download) only on Author and Subject,
synthesized Newsgroups, and number of lines; this can be used to deal
with some spam but not all. Automatic filtering on additional headers
(after download) is a FAQ and FRequestedFeature in the Agent users
newsgroup alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent and may happen
someday. In the meantime you can do particularly troublesome lots in
less than a minute by global-search, select-all, delete-or-whatever.
v4 has much more extensive (and complicated) features for dealing with
spam and junk _email_ -- if you choose to use Agent for your email.

Uses hash values rather than full message-id's to thread, which can
result in false matches. On moderate volume groups like clc, I
experience this issue maybe 2-3 times a year, but high-volume binary
folks complain pretty vociferously about it.
I know this is somewhat off topic, but this annoyance hampers my ability to
follow some of the most interesting discussions, and probably affects
several regulars on the forum, including the one that posts the weekly
stats.

Wade Ward

David Thompson said:
[...]

Holy shit, I came here to challenge Jabba but would rather comment on the
above. I'm trying opera.

Tja.